Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Jasalvas

New in Town
Well, with a little engine oil and a Merkur 34 HD... I have completed my first DE shave... It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I actually might collect a 37 or 39 sooner than I thought. Hell... Maybe even a straight.... but only if I lather with bacon grease.

Its funny. One week ago I was looking for information about White's boots on this website... and now I own a Merkur razor, Kent brush, Pinaud AS, and some Williams SS. Funny how things work out.

Thanks Fellas. Now... about those Fedora's...

FaceOfBoh

New in Town
I always hated using a razor but on a trip to Maui a few year ago I couldn't take my electric because it had this charging-cleaning station contraption that was a pain to travel with.

But I discovered this shaving oil at the local grocery store. It's a Canadian product and has "changed my life."

http://www.cromwell-cruthers.com/home/

I'm not affiliated with them in anyway but I'd be happy to proxy for people if there's interest.

Doc Ross

New in Town
Van der Hagen, a brush and a Trac II for the last thirty years. Tried a Braun once but it ate the foil head when I tried to get a 'Really Close' shave for the First Sargent.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well after 3 months of trying the Merkur I've gone back to my Braun electric. So much easier and just as close. Using an electric effectively is also about technique. I love watching the news while I shave. No water, no mess no fuss.

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
Glad to hear an electric works for you. I used an electric since I started shaving (13 years or so) and never got as close as I wanted and always had irritation. With a DE I get much closer, and if my technique is up to par I don't have any irritation. Sure, it takes a little longer to do, but for me it's worth the time.

Missouri Mason

Familiar Face
I fully agree that the brush is not something to go cheap on. There's a world of difference between, say, a drugstore hog bristle brush, and silvertip badger.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
This rather disheveled item arrived in todays post, the picture wasn't the best so I took a punt as I know British chrome and or nickel plate BITD was some of the best in the world so should have held up ok....hopefully!
207x9tu.jpg
rbwq6e.jpg

setvec.jpg
fxa4ww.jpg

14kcdad.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
a few details shots;
jgo0ed.jpg

2ngyiw7.jpg
30t5eex.jpg

I didn't fancy using the blade that came with it and decided I'd clean it first!!! after pictures to follow....any idea on the age? quality is far superior to the modern Chinese copies, this is still silky smooth in it's opening operation.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I spray the razor with scrubbing bubbles, brush with an old tooth brush, and then rinse. Some then use a metal polish, but i don't. Each time I change blades, I take the razor completely apart and clean each piece with soapy water.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
first off a mix of a basic no frills white toothpaste(Colgate I think) a pea sized amount on an old medium bristle tooth brush and a couple of squirts of soft hand soap any type, set the hot tap running and wet the razor then brush it all over working into every crevice following the grooves on the handle etc.

keep rinsing it off to see how your getting on and add more toothpaste/ soap if needed -I used two brush full's of the mix then a final brush with soft soap only.....shake it dry and dry off with toilet paper or similar......then I used Autosol metal polish all over again working it into all the crevices/grooves use Q tips to get into the corners inside the blade loading area and then polish it over with a jewellers cloth then a soft cloth/duster...then another work over just once with the toothpaste/soap again and rinse it very well and shake and dry thoroughly...it took about 15 minutes all in and worth the effort I think.

Jasalvas

New in Town
Well, for today I shaved with my Merkur 34C, Feather blade, AoS preshave oil, Williams shave soap, lathered by a Kent brush. After shave was Pinaud. So smooth!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana