Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Katzenjammer

Familiar Face
Well, I had my first ever shave with a DE safety razor this morning, and managed to avoid nicks, cuts and scrapes. Used a Gillette Superspeed from the late 50s/early 60s, Lord blades, and a cheap Burma-Shave brush (with matching soap). None of these items are classics, but they're working well as a starter set.

Katzenjammer

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:
Katzenjammer - those are all classics especially the Burma Shave soap!

I'm new to this, so I don't know up from down! But thanks...it's making the morning shave a lot more interesting than usual.

The best upgrade from the Burma Shave brush is to save your pennies and get a badger brush, that will increase your shaving comfort and delight exponentually.

Look for one that is a brand name and stear clear of wood handles, wood and hot water is a recepie for failure. Although you may read about stunningly expensive brushes both here and on other websites, even the low end ones are a giant leap over bristle brushes. Vulfix is one brand I like and they make ones for other companies like Col. Conk that give good service.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I second John's advice on the badger hair brush. An investment of up to $100 is well warranted on a badger brush for sure. Brands like Edwin Jagger, Kent, Rooney, Vulfix, and Shavemac are all winners, among others. But, if you are primarily a shave soap user (vs shave cream) a boar brush may also work for you. I personally have an Omega boar brush that while on the large side, is a wonderful performer.

Here is a nice page of "beginner brushes" from a very well regarded online vendor:
http://www.leesrazors.com/categories/Shaving-Brushes/Beginner-Brushes/

I must say that the #2233S looks like a heckuva brush for the cash outlay!

Good luck!

Feraud

Bartender
I've only ever regularly shaved with my dad's early 60s Gilette DE.
I recently gave it a clearning and it came out looking brand new. It's a wonderful razor.

Edit. I was at a T.J. Maxx last weekend and my wife noticed pure badger shaving brushes for seven bucks. They are not silvertip quality but will work in a pinch.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
I started shaving with a DE razor a few months back. I've been on the brush for a few years.

I've only cut myself once. Th shave is just as close as the Mach 3 I stopped using. I'm a happy camper, and I can't understand why people stopped using DE razors.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Feraud said:
I've only ever regularly shaved with my dad's early 60s Gilette DE.
I recently gave it a clearning and it came out looking brand new. It's a wonderful razor.

Edit. I was at a T.J. Maxx last weekend and my wife noticed pure badger shaving brushes for seven bucks. They are not silvertip quality but will work in a pinch.

I have a few Pure Badger brushes in my rotation Feraud. They are a bit scrubbier in bristle texture, but they do work well, especially with hard soaps I find. $7 is a screaming deal.....

Feraud

Bartender
Here is a pic of my daily razor.
DSC08465.jpg

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Nice razor Feraud.
That's what is a Gillette Slim Adjustable razor, made from 1961 to 1968. I have one like yours, and I use a brother razor to that one with a black handle as my daily shaver pretty much.
There should be a date code on the underside of the head (G-3 for example). What is that code?

Does your adjuster work? What setting do you use?

Also, I use a spray cleaner called CLR on my razors, really removes gunk, mineral deposits, water spotting, etc. Spray on, use an old toothbrush to scrub it up, rinse and dry off. You will see that plating SHINE I tell ya!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Thanks rmdaddy. The code is either I or J 2. The adjustor works and I usually have the setting to 6-7.

Thanks for the cleaning tip!

Feraud,
Great stuff. I would indicate a 1963 production year, J would designate 1964. The 2 in the code refers to 2nd quarter of the fiscal year.

Do you just perform one pass at that high a setting, or do you perform multiple passes?

Feraud

Bartender
Depending on how long between shaves or how sharp the blade is I usually make two passes with the razor. If I am enjoying a good shaving cream I will lather up again and give it another go. :)

A couple of years back my wife saw these mugs at Anthropologie and bought one for me. Makes a good shaving mug.
anthropologie+monogrammed+mugs+stoneware+coffee+cup+white+black.jpg

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Does anyone use a Merkur safety razor? I have been looking at them recently and am not entirely sold as reviews seem hard to come by.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mr Vim said:
Does anyone use a Merkur safety razor? I have been looking at them recently and am not entirely sold as reviews seem hard to come by.
Any help would be appreciated.

I have a Merkur razor for a few years now, I think it had a model number like 50 or 70 but it's very similar to the Future model listed on the Classsic Shaving page of Safety razors.

See them here: http://www.classicshaving.com/Safety_Razors.html

It's adjustable so you can fine tune the angle and amount of attack of the blades, well made, easy to open and clean. It has a not heavy but concentrated heft that makes it well balanced and easy to use. I use the Merkur brand platinum blades which are super for me and give a very close shave near to a good straight razor shave. Two thumbs up.

A lot of people just getting started may go with the inexpensive Feather brand razor and I have heard good things about it.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I have a couple of electric razors I use. One is heavy duty, designed for long hair trimming, and I use it with its attachments for my goatee, and if I let my stubble accumulate too much. The other is just a standard old shaving razor and I use it for regular shaving work. The only time I'd ever use a manual razor is if my batteries were dead. The electrics might not get as close as a manual, but they don't leave a score of knicks and bloodspots. I'd much rather look like I shaved a few hours ago, than look like I fell in a pricker-bush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner