Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Yes...

Mr Vim said:
Does anyone use a Merkur safety razor? I have been looking at them recently and am not entirely sold as reviews seem hard to come by.

Any help would be appreciated.

...my daily razor is a Merkur slant. I've used it for over three years, so I supposed I've shaved over a thousand times with it. Merkurs are quality razors that last.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Mr Vim said:
Does anyone use a Merkur safety razor? I have been looking at them recently and am not entirely sold as reviews seem hard to come by.

Any help would be appreciated.
I use a Futur. As mentioned it has a nice heft to it . The lowest setting is still a pretty big gap but when you get your angle right it's RIGHT. Close, clean and easy.
Tom D.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Shangas said:
shave.jpg

Like that one, Feraud? I can't even remember what the brand is. It cost me all of $45 at the local shaving-shop, it's as solid as a rock and it works great!...That's all I know and all I care about. I love it.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Maas is also a highly regarded metal polishing compund on the shaving forums too.
Though I too have an open comb Gillette gold tone razor where the gold plating has decayed or been rubbed off over time. Nothing to do but a) polish the remaining brass to a high luster and use the sucker, or b) get the head replated. I believe Cooncat Bob does that kind of work, among other things. His website is here:
https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/razor-handles

I just thought of option c) find another razor with better plating if it bothers you :)

Feraud

Bartender
I am sure we have some MAAS in the basement. I will eventually get to polishing the brass. So many things to do, so little time. ;) The lack of gold plating does not bother me. I find it more important to have the razor intact and in working order.

Feraud

Bartender
My birthday is coming up so last Friday afternoon I treated myself to some shaving supplies.
TOBS avocado shaving cream
Old Spice fresh lime scented cream
a pack of Feather blades
DSC08472.jpg

I have heard that Feather blades are exceptionally sharp! Also heard that some people will take the blade and run the edge thru a wine cork to align the edge and make for smoother shaving. I have never tried that - yet.

Feraud

Bartender
I did not need new blades (nor have I purchased razor blades in 20+ years of shaving with a DE) due to having a near lifetime supply. That is a story for another day.. ;)

The Feather is considered a very sharp blade and curiosity got the better of me.

Blades and shaves questions.

QuestionSfor the Double Edge users:

What brand blade do you use?
How many shaves do you get for a blade normally?
Do you consider your "whiskers" to be light / medium / or very heavy-tough?

I use the Merkur Platinum blades.
I can get about 8 to some times 10 shaves per blade.
I have a fairly light beard, but the two patches on the sides of my throat are really quite tough compared to the rest of the whiskers.
I shave about every 2 days or so.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
Questions for the Double Edge users:

I actually prefer my GEM Micromatic SE with Treet blades, but I do enjoy breaking up my routine with the aforementioned Gillette DE.

I use whatever the house brand is at Rite Aid (which, incidentally, is also where I buy Treet SE blades). They might even be “Rite Aid” brand blades.

About ten, though I could probably go more.

I have a fairly tough beard, which is actually why I prefer the SE - it seems to give a more aggressive shave and I’ve got a better-developed technique with it, given that I’ve had it longer.

-Dave

ksargent

New in Town
John in Covina said:
QuestionSfor the Double Edge users:

Derbys for me - less than $20 for 100m on the bay. I get about a week out one, but I have a mustache and goatee - and my facial hair is very light on the cheeks.

Ken

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
My birthday is coming up so last Friday afternoon I treated myself to some shaving supplies.
TOBS avocado shaving cream
Old Spice fresh lime scented cream
a pack of Feather blades
DSC08472.jpg

Between your avocado shaving cream and your lime shaving cream you have me seriously craving some guacamole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR