Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

davestlouis

Practically Family
Thanks Bruce Wayne...there were several old straight razors on CL too, but they were priced between $150 and $200 and I thought $10 sounded better to me.

There is some writing embossed on the underside of the mug too, Old Spice Early American, and the company name.

I cleaned and disinfected the razor, and tried it...it feels more aggressive than my normal DE Gillettes, but I didn't chop my head off either, so that's a start. I ran by Walgreens and bought a cake of their Van Der Hagen shaving soap, and put it in the freshly cleaned Old Spice mug.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I FOUND A RAZOR-BOX!!!!

But it will need significant cleaning.

It's 4.25" long by 2" wide by about 1.5" high.

And it's plated in gold, just like my razor! What a perfect match!

Here's a couple of photos:

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

The white cardboardy stuff is ordinary blotting-paper. I've used that to line the box temporarily while I put my razor and blades in there to see how well things would fit in. As you can see...it all fits perfectly! The gold-plate is still very shiny and the box is in good condition. No scratches, cracks, chips...a couple of small dents and areas where the gold has rubbed away...but the catch and the hinges and everything else that is important is in perfect condition!

And yes, it is a razor-box, it's not a box I found and repurposed. On the underside, it reads:

"AutoStrop Safety Razor Co."
New York U.S.A.

I know that's not an autostrop razor, but it's a razor and it fits in the box and the box fits it and I'm happy.

When I got the box, it was lined with cardboard and padded with a sort of purple/royal blue felty stuff which was peeling away and cracking and ripping apart, so I got a knife and ripped, cut and scraped all the cloth, cardboard and glue off, dusted the thing out, washed it and dried it and lined it with the blotting-paper for the time-being. Once I have some felt and glue, I'll glue the blotting-paper down as a liner and then stick the felt over the top.

The blades are from left to right: Gilette 'Blue', Gilette 'Super Stainless' and Gilette 'Thin'.

--- --- --- ---

Well, the old man got wind of my plans and decided to help me in my quest. One sheet of aluminium, some Simichrome and some stickyback felt later, and behold the results:

razorbox1.jpg

razorbox2.jpg

razorbox3.jpg

razorbox4.jpg

razorbox5.jpg

Blades - WHITE - Gilette Super Stainless - RED - Gilette Thin - BLUE - Gilette Blue.

In company with the rest of my kit:

razorbox7.jpg

L'Occitane

I used the L'Occitane Cade Shaving creme from the tube to shave last night with 2 passes on my face: Down and Across. Did 3 on the HD patches on my neck down, up, and across.

Cade has great lubricating qualities but for me the scent of spices is actually over powering. Similar to another brand's Nomad scent which is pretty strong.

Feraud said:
Thanks for the review JiC. I like creams with a strong scent and may have to check this one out.
Some of the stores that handle shaving creams like the brand stores will sometime fill a sample of cream for you or have small sample tubs or tubes to give out, you can ask if they have samples.

Feraud

Bartender
Nice job on polishing up and adding a new interior to the box!
It looks great.

Shangas said:
--- --- --- ---

Well, the old man got wind of my plans and decided to help me in my quest. One sheet of aluminium, some Simichrome and some stickyback felt later, and behold the results:
razorbox1.jpg

razorbox3.jpg

I've been wanting to make a wood and felt lined type of "presentation case" for one of my blades similar to classic firearm presentation sets seen in the past.
1851-colt-navy-cased-set.jpg

Life can be hectic and my "To Do" list is so long! lol

Bruce Wayne said:
Now I just need a good shaving soap to put in the mug. Something other than my usual Williams.

If you can find some, try Ebay, Burma Shave for regular shave soap even here where we have hard water, gives great lather and lubrication. Another one is the glycerine based Col. Conk which is availabe in a variety of scents.

davestlouis

Practically Family
The Pinaud's talc I bought turns pink when exposed to moisture, but it's white when it is dry. It reminds me of the ceiling white paint I bought last time, goes on pink, so you can see if you're getting coverage, then it dries white.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Bruce, I'm so envious. That cup is really cool. On a different topic, I just received my package.

Clubman Lustry Dragon-impressed with the fragrance not with the bottle

Classic Clubman- impressed with the bottle, unimpressed with the fragrance

Clubman musk- Has to be my number one, I even love it more than Armani

Clubman hair tonic- a must have, on ones counter

Col. Conk Almond cakes- Fantastic, a baby oil pretreatment is good though

Still haven't tried out my straight razor. I want to buy a stone, strop, and another razor that's sharpened, soI don't taint my first shave.

Leader - Straight Razor

A friend of mien had an Antique Shop; before she sold, she gave me this nice razor. I love the looks of it; the handle's color is rich, the inlays and some nice engraving finish off the fine look.

The metal around the Logo is Blued or case hardened?? And the blade is in very nice condition. Marked: F.W. Engles. Solingen Germany.

Not sure from what era. If anyone has any idea, let me know. Q: Where does a guy learn to sharpen one of these old blades? I have no old Barbers around my parts anymore.

Although sharp as it is; certainly not good enough to put to my skin. If I tried to use it, well...I'd probably look like I was on the losing end of a knife fight gone bad.lol
stuff015.jpg

stuff022.jpg

stuff026.jpg

stuff031.jpg

stuff029.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
A Gem 1912 with original box. This razor is in excellent condition. I am going to purchase some single edge blades this weekend and give it a run.
DSC08586.jpg

DSC08588.jpg

DSC08589.jpg

DSC08596.jpg

DSC08593.jpg

DSC08592.jpg

DSC08594.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot