Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Here's a rare one for you
P1050529.jpg

Jimmy Vickers

New in Town
My grandfather, born 1887, taught me how to shave. The steptic pencil was never too far away! In the old days, cuts and nicks were inevitable. Gerald Murphy of the Mark Cross company invented a safety razor but was beat to the patent office by Gillette...too bad. There is a reason the safety razor took off. At any rate, I love a straight razor shave from a competent barber, but on an everyday basis I like a modern triple edge razor (esp. after it has been used a few times) and a gel type shave cream made by Nivea. If you have sensitive skin, I find that the most important thing is the type of soap or cream used. I think it must be based upon one's own skin type and beard. My beard is full but not too coarse, but my skin is very sensitive to most anything. A badger brush, for me, is the worst. But I admire nay man who has skills with a stop, straitrazor and mug!

tealseal

A-List Customer
Here's a picture of the things I use, on occasion, to shave.
img3053gv.jpg

Top row: Body Shop Razor Relief Lotion, Body Shop Shaving Cream, Body Shop Shaving Oil, Body Shop Arber Aftershave Lotion, Classic Shaving shave soap, Merkur adjustable razor, boar brush, Classic Shaving shave soap in my Grandfather's mug, alum block (ESSENTIAL!)

Middle row: Nivea aftershave balm (this stuff rocks), Proraso pre-shaving cream, Moss scuttle, Vulfix #2234 Super Badger Shaving Brush, Grandfather's boar brush, blades from a sample pack (currently on Astra stainless, but the platinums are better)

Bottom (travel) row: RealShaving shave cream, travel razor from an antique market in excellent condition, Grandfather's DE, Art of Shaving badger brush, Neutrogena aftershave lotion

Warbuton

New in Town
Hi,
Concerning shaving;
For more than 10 years ago I started shaving shaving with a straight razor. I somehow got the idea while working in the army; i got this electric device; razor; when I started up; from my family; to make things easier. I felt I never really got clean, being out for weeks. Anyway I kept to a gilette but I had this pic from movies people shaving with straight razors. Having talked about it for some time without buying one; I was finally given one for my birthday. A plain Solingen blade...nothing fancy.
While I didnt know what was important, I tried it out first getting quite mediochre if not horrible results. Then an uncle told me to go see this old barber; pensionist; who could tell me.
I learned in 10 minutes what was important.
Saying that; the only time I use a gilette nowadays is when Ive somehow forgotten the knife at home; which rarely happens. Would never use an electric again.
I doesnt take more time than a gilette; it just makes you more focused and less stressed since you have to take the time it takes. After that procedure hopefully you go out into the world, somewhat sharper yourself.
Im into my second knife now; not so much due to the blade (although I dropped the first knife when very green) but due to that the plastic handle fell to pieces on my old one.

I used the straight razor for most of the time as an active field officer; no problems; a great relaxing procedure.

What you need;
A decent knife (talking blade steel here, not gold decorations and stuff); go for the steel and the companys story with knives.
Treat the blade as if it was a samurai sword (wierd comparison perhaps); with respect; after all your using it on your face; you'd never try a gillette like an ordinary knife would you; on your thumb (ok just very carefully) or nail; never test it on anything else than hair.
An ordinary razors strop to use everytime 5 minutes before you intend to shave.
For soap I use Body shops soap (I found it the most lubricating); any soap will pobably do; the old barber warned about using gaspressured foam stuff and Ive stuck to his advice as everything else he said worked.
A brush.
A fine grained ceramic sharpener to use every 3-6 month perhaps. (The new knife is up in 6 months now, I think)

Then practise....

Last edited:

tempesh

New in Town
nice story and simple instruction to follow, i totally agree. i once had an electric braun shaver in the army be-cause you could run over the face with it without a mirror. helpful to not fail a daily shave check at last minute. But it never really felt clean. Stuck for a while with safety razors I decided to quit out of this 3 blade + nonsense. (now they got 5 blades ;-)) I tried to explain buying a gillette adjustable with cost issues but finally it went into a nice costly hobby.

Since more than a year now I single use the straight razor and once used to it there is no comeback.

If you want to see a very smooth straight razor shave watch this dude.

Last edited:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Without going through this entire thread, I have a question: I'm looking for a very safe equivalent to a straight razor.
To be more specific,I need something that is very precise but safe as I will be using it on my head for sharp edges on my haircut. I don't think using an actual straight razor is a good idea.
Years ago I used to use a disposable razor (Micro Trac? Slim Twin...I can't recall) that was just basically a single blade on a stick. That would work for me but it's discontinued.
Any advice gents?

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Without going through this entire thread, I have a question: I'm looking for a very safe equivalent to a straight razor.
To be more specific,I need something that is very precise but safe as I will be using it on my head for sharp edges on my haircut. I don't think using an actual straight razor is a good idea.
Years ago I used to use a disposable razor (Micro Trac? Slim Twin...I can't recall) that was just basically a single blade on a stick. That would work for me but it's discontinued.
Any advice gents?

Well, with care and practice, you definitely can shave your head with a straight razor; many have done it. More about techniques and tips here: www.badgerandblade.com

The next best thing is definitely a safety razor. I would suggest one of the gillette adjustable ones, that way you can dial back the aggressiveness if you're finding it too harsh. Safety razors are almost as safe as cartridges, give a far better shave, and never clog. You can find vintage ones at antique stores and flea markets for a good price if you keep your eyes peeled. Best of luck!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Any advice gents?

I would suggest a single edge safety razor. They use a nice, stiff blade like a straight razor, but without the associated hazards of holding that blade out on its own. I use a GEM Micromatic most every morning and I find the shave it gives unbeatable by either of the Gillettes I've used. So much so that I actually gave away my adjustable Gillette to my brother as I wasn't using it.

GEM itself wasn’t shy about drawing a connection between SE safety razors and straight razors:

1934_gemrazors.jpg

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Any advice gents?

I agree with G&T on the flea market finds. If you do find one with a nice finish take a look at the ease of adjustment and particular attention to the width of the gap when dialed all the way down to 1. You are looking for a very narrow and EVEN slit. An uneven opening can take a divot. I have several Gillette adjustable and the variation is surprising. I've found "Fat Boys" for as little as three bucks but I prefer the standard width handle. Happy hunting.
Tom D.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
cheers Shangas, I'll try it out soon, I used the razor out of the grooming set I found earlier in the year, the set was unused and the blades unopened...result ...a shave that's as good as any other I've had though admittedly you need more care(or I need more practice with it?) but at 100 blades for a tenner I think I'll be shaving vintage style in future!
15wf3w3.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner