Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

BillJackson

New in Town
i use a calvin clien shaver with mach 3 attachment and a calvin klien boar bristle brush and i use my cleanser as shave cream works like a champ

John J

Familiar Face
Ive posted already, But since the post I have an obsevation.

I do use a double sided safty razor Murker Slant and I have a standard Murker in the travel kit.

USA made persona blades.

I use a premium badger brush.

Ive Have come to conclusion that special shave soap isn't that special. Ive tried a good # off the shelf soaps Grandpas pine tar, African black soap, natural oatmeal soap and recently some homemade goat milk soap.

they all worked just fine . so while ill internet order better blades I wont be ordering shave soap per say .

"John"

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Side question...how often do you guys shave? My facial hair doesn't grow necessarily fast but stubble shows up quickly. I also like the routine of shaving every day though it is more often I wait two days. Just curious

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I'm retired, so the necessity of shaving every has passed. If I'm going to shave every day, I use just one pass and a touch-up. Additionally, I use a super lather, made with Proraso shaving cream and Mystic Water soap. The Proraso cream makes a really slick lather.

tommyK

One Too Many
I've found Col Conk to be not-so-great. It lathers ok but doesn't give a lot of cushion so it ups the possibility of nicks. If you're on a budget (or just looking for something different) nothing beats Arko shave sticks. They lather up like nothing else and give a great shave. The smell is, however, a love it or hate it situation.

tommyK

One Too Many
Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac are my favorites. I also like Irisch Moos, Palmolive and Speik shave sticks. All superior to Col Conk.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac are my favorites.

These are my go-to, non-glycerine soaps. MWF may take a bit longer to get a good lather going, but it's really nice. I've gotta say I lean toward the Tabac, though. It's another one of those like it or hate it smells, though. It's sort of floral, but not feminine. And slick... just wow. I can use just about any soap with a DE, but prefer Tabac with my straights. It allows me to take three passes with the least irritation.

John J

Familiar Face
I have some Mitchell's wool fat Myself and it is the best specialty shave soap Ive used.

The local made goats milk soap Ive been trying has been very good and Ill probably keep using it..

"John"

CSG

Familiar Face
I'm a fan of traditional double edge razors and use a few different vintage and modern DE razors. While I prefer creams over soaps, I have both and rotate through about 15 including Mitchell's. I have a few brushes and prefer fine badger over boar but have a Vulfix mixed that is one of my two favorites.

I came back to this form of traditional shaving about two years ago after having switched to an electric razor for about 20 years. While I got decent shaves with the electric (Norelcos), I also regularly got ingrown hairs. Shaving with a DE razor again has eliminated that completely.

I find little difference between blades but like Astras, Personna Labs, and Feathers the best. I also use Derbys and Wilkinsons. I like using my vintage Gillettes over my modern Edwin Jagger DE89. My ball end Tech and early 60's Super Speed are my two favorites.

I do admit to still using my electric on days where I'm in a rush and also to touch up missed spots. If I haven't gotten them all in three passes the electric is easier than yet another pass. It's almost always around my throat that I'll have a missed spot.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
I'm a fan of traditional double edge razors and use a few different vintage and modern DE razors. While I prefer I find little difference between blades but like Astras, Personna Labs, and Feathers the best. I also use Derbys and Wilkinsons. I like using my vintage Gillettes over my modern Edwin Jagger DE89. My ball end Tech and early 60's Super Speed are my two favorites.

What advantages do you find with these vintage razors over the EJ DE89 ? I have one and really like it, more so than my Merkur 1914 ( I think that is the name , can't quite remember). Mostly using Feathers and sometimes Derby and Gillette blades. I too use MWF and various creams for face lathering ---current favourite being Truefitt and Hill's 1805 cream--fabulous stuff. Ready to try another razor though and a vintage one appeals....

tommyK

One Too Many
Typical shave set up for me
shaving1_zpsb44cc9f3.jpg

Proraso pre shave cream (love the menthol tingle)
Mitchell's whipped up with silvertip badger brush
1959 Gillette Fatboy
Feather blade
Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve followed up with a splash of witch hazel
allum block if necessary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto