Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

gear-guy

Practically Family
Photos will show as a file but then when you post they will come up as a photo. Good luck Smiling.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Certainly was. One reason moustaches became so popular in the 1800s was because men kept giving themselves nasty infections due to bugged up shaving-jobs. Cutting and nicking themselves all the time.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I think there was a fear around catching Anthrax from badger/pig bristle too?
Here's another addition and a great little shaver too ...a not commonly found 'Wardonia' bakelite that actually takes a standard blade, shaves easily as well as my Gillette 'flare tip' English made version;
t6ta2u.jpg

mb752s.jpg
ztbx93.jpg

2qx594n.jpg
fwu3ib.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
and a couple more;
2090xmo.jpg
10rqtzd.jpg

2qmovgy.jpg
205wqxg.jpg

Though Wardonia products are often marked Wardonia this one isn't however I have a suspicion that many of Wardonia's products were actually made by Souplex Ltd of Morecombe England.

Last edited:

Sylvesterd

Familiar Face
Kiehls brushless shaving cream or the Art of Shaving using a brush to apply. Sometimes I will use the pre shave oil from Art .
I always use Kiehls razor bump cream at night. I have noticed a decrease irritation around my neck after using it.

I don't trust myself to use a straight edge. Even though they are $$$, I believe that Gillette proFusion power is the best. They last longer than cheaper blades are give you a very good shave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,

I recently took up the art of honing and using straight razors. Youtube (Lynn Abrams and gssixgun) as my master, and Amazon.com for most of the tools of the trade. I've shaved with razors sharpened by others many times before, but today I used one of my own for the first time. No pulling, no irritation, just a great shave. I have a long way to go to being an expert on honing straight razors, but so far so good!

Here is what I used today, a Genco De Roma, full hollow ground, and boy is it sharp (nicked my thumb while honing, too!). There is still splotching in the finish of the blade from age and probably bad storage, but absolutely no pitting. I will try to polish this out soon, I was focusing on the edge mainly at this time. Hones used: 4k/8k Norton to set bevel and begin polish, 12k Naniwa to finish polish, balsa/Chromium Oxide (.5 micron) pasted strop for micro polish, and English bridle leather strop for final:
IMG_20131223_100133_832.jpg IMG_20131223_100141_417.jpg IMG_20131223_100200_346.jpg

-Max

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
That looks like a nice razor, and a Rolleiflex if I'm not mistaken. Let me know if you are looking to sell it, I shoot medium format as well.

-Max

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,

I recently took up the art of honing and using straight razors. Youtube (Lynn Abrams and gssixgun) as my master, and Amazon.com for most of the tools of the trade. I've shaved with razors sharpened by others many times before, but today I used one of my own for the first time. No pulling, no irritation, just a great shave. I have a long way to go to being an expert on honing straight razors, but so far so good!

Here is what I used today, a Genco De Roma, full hollow ground, and boy is it sharp (nicked my thumb while honing, too!). There is still splotching in the finish of the blade from age and probably bad storage, but absolutely no pitting. I will try to polish this out soon, I was focusing on the edge mainly at this time. Hones used: 4k/8k Norton to set bevel and begin polish, 12k Naniwa to finish polish, balsa/Chromium Oxide (.5 micron) pasted strop for micro polish, and English bridle leather strop for final:
View attachment 7436 View attachment 7437 View attachment 7438

-Max

Nice job! yes, the stuff on the blade, I call aged patina, Gives it character. I looked at mantic59 for my shaving info. I use sandpaper and film, from 320- 50k grit film, on a slab of marble. Finish on a strop.

Mickey85

New in Town
I don't have the stones to use a straight razor yet...

Currently, I alternate between a GEM single edge and a Gillette double edge. Other accoutrements are a boar hair brush, van der Hagen soap, and a shave mug that was my grandfather's and manufactured in England. I have a number of aftershaves that I alternate through, although my current go to is the family dollar version of old spice. I actually like it better than the real stuff, which I also have.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
I don't have the stones to use a straight razor yet...

Currently, I alternate between a GEM single edge and a Gillette double edge. Other accoutrements are a boar hair brush, van der Hagen soap, and a shave mug that was my grandfather's and manufactured in England. I have a number of aftershaves that I alternate through, although my current go to is the family dollar version of old spice. I actually like it better than the real stuff, which I also have.

Yes, welcome aboard. I used to use a shaving mug, but found it to be too cumbersome and began working lather on my face. Saves soap, time and less to carry when traveling.

However, after saying that, a tip: microwave the mug and then lather- hot lather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran