Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Today's shave...

1551543_1377777889147360_1156062899_n.jpg

Windsor soap, Windsor badger-brush, vintage scuttle, and a J. Rodgers & Sons "Dinkie" razor.

thecollegeguy123

New in Town
I usually shave with a Parker safety razor and shaving brush, Proraso shaving cream, and finish with Clubman Pinaud aftershave. Unfortunately, winter break from college has lead to some laziness, and as result, I desperately need to shave. At the moment, I can not tell where my sideburns end and my beard begins.

wquiles

Familiar Face
I have been wet shaving for a year and 4 months now, first with DE's, then with the Feather straight razors, then with traditional straight razors, and now I am back to the Feather straight razors.

My first straight razor (Feather system):
DSCF0017.JPG

One of the new traditional straight razors I own:
DSCF0413.JPG

But these are the ones I use today:
DSCF0653.JPG

But I am a machinist and a tinkerer, so I also made some of my own shaving equipment. I can post pictures if you guys are interested.

wquiles

Familiar Face
Here is a fixed-handle straight razor I made with a custom Titanium handle (bottom of picture):
DSCF0183.JPG

I latter made my own shaving brush, out of Titanium (far left):
DSCF0229.JPG

Here are both of them together:
DSCF0236.JPG

And now-a-days I am still making custom Titanium and brass DE handles such as these ones:
20130825_131018.jpg

DSCF1016.JPG

cchgn

One of the Regulars
WOW, that is awesome! I like the bigger handles. I have some 3 piece. While I like the handle on my EJ, I can see that brass handle on my Gillette, 30's, new style, open comb.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I lost a friend a couple of years ago, went by Cooncatbob, who made beautiful handles for razors. i still have one of his prototypes. it is a treasured memento. I need to break it out and use it again.

Thanks for reminding me of him. Your work is excellent, thanks for the pics!

wquiles

Familiar Face
I lost a friend a couple of years ago, went by Cooncatbob, who made beautiful handles for razors. i still have one of his prototypes. it is a treasured memento. I need to break it out and use it again.

Thanks for reminding me of him. Your work is excellent, thanks for the pics!

You are welcome, and thank you for your kind words about my work :eek:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Used this yesterday.... an early 1940's? Rhodium plated Gillette 'Tech' from an old grooming set I got earlier this week, the set had in some c1960 unopened Gillette blue blades that on opening were absolutely mint so I used the combination with some Arko shave stick for a shave as good as any other.
6ny49y.jpg
24eyjwz.jpg

2ylqq2x.jpg
xd8dxs.jpg

eb1kc8.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Been sick for a week. Finally felt safe enough to put a blade to my throat without slicing my neck open during a coughing or sneezing-fit. That's one week's worth of stubble. No soap or foam or lather. Just hot water and cold steel...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I usually do the same thing if I'm sick or I cheat and only do the sides and my neck.

Some people would probably think it sacrilegious, but most of the time, I only shave with a straight-razor, and hot water. I rarely use my brush or soap. If I do, it'd be because I haven't shaved for a damn long time (two weeks or more) and I need to really tackle the bracken before bringing in the weed-whacker.

My beard doesn't grow very fast. If I shaved every time I had something worthwhile on my face shaving off, I'd still only be shaving every other day, or every three days. If I shave regularly, it'd be every two days at most.

What you see accumulated on that blade is 6 or 7 days' stubble. That's my chin, jaw, neck, moustache-area...yeah I'm not one of those big hairy dudes who has to sharpen his razor after every pass...

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Used this yesterday.... an early 1940's? Rhodium plated Gillette 'Tech' from an old grooming set I got earlier this week, the set had in some c1960 unopened Gillette blue blades that on opening were absolutely mint so I used the combination with some Arko shave stick for a shave as good as any other.
6ny49y.jpg

I have the identical razor which once belonged to my grandfather. Yours is incredibly pristine! It looks as if it has never been used! It's certainly a lovely little razor to shave with, given the right blades. I don't get to use mine as often as I'd like, since I usually can't spare the 20 minutes a proper shave takes these days (sad, I know, but this is what happens when you have 3 kids 3 and under.) but when I do, it's always a wonderful experience.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
It was almost that clean when I got it G&T, it didn't take much cleaning as you say I don't think it's had much use...happily? my two have flown the nest so I can easily find ten minutes for a luxurious shave these days ( though our first grandaughter has just arrived)...it is nice to use especially so since it had some mint unused old Gillette blues with it although I do feel a modern Rapira is a better blade though I've yet to try it in this razor....you can get razors replated at least in the UK, prices start around £25 for a plain nickel replate which for an heirloom is relatively small potatoes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters