Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

BobBill

New in Town
This is such a goofy Man-Shed thread, I felt compelled to reply...even it the note is like some others here-I did not read entire thread.

I have used all sorts of razors over the years.

Spend some time in the military, you learn to shave fast...often in shower, sometimes dry.

The best then was a Schick...single, I could shave in 2 minutes tops...then I went to a Rolls, tricky but bulky and it hurt...then a Merkur, fine but needed to be careful...then one the Gillette gimmicks...

That Schick was the best. "Push-Pull-Click,Click." Best ever for my messed up beard...last Oct I decided to try a Norelco electric...wet or dry. Not as good or fast, but I can shave when doing something else...it is convenient.

There, now what did I win?

Nothing wakes you up in the morning faster than a dry shave followed by a quick splash of rubbing alcohol. :eek:

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

wquiles

Familiar Face
It was a new blade so it went rather smoothly. Twenty years ago It would have been a bad idea, but by now my scalp can handle it.
:D

Well, I tip my hat for you. You are far braver than I am :)

I need one of these soaps then I shave (brush still wet from this morning's shave with Mike's Natural Soap):
DSCF1613.JPG

I've been letting my winter coat grow for a few weeks now, but when it warms up I normally use a Merkur classic with Merkur blades and Taylor of Old Bond Street original flavor shaving soap. I am thinking about trying their sandalwood. Currently I just lather it on with my hands because my boy (age 3) got hold of my brush.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

cchgn

One of the Regulars
This is such a goofy Man-Shed thread, I felt compelled to reply...even it the note is like some others here-I did not read entire thread.

I have used all sorts of razors over the years.

Spend some time in the military, you learn to shave fast...often in shower, sometimes dry.

The best then was a Schick...single, I could shave in 2 minutes tops...then I went to a Rolls, tricky but bulky and it hurt...then a Merkur, fine but needed to be careful...then one the Gillette gimmicks...

That Schick was the best. "Push-Pull-Click,Click." Best ever for my messed up beard...last Oct I decided to try a Norelco electric...wet or dry. Not as good or fast, but I can shave when doing something else...it is convenient.

There, now what did I win?

well, you didn't read the whole thread, why am I not surprised? If you did, you'd see that this isn't a contest. This thread( as part of this forum) is more about the vintage shaving experience, using vintage equipment.

IMO, whether you use vintage or modern equipment, the wetshaving experience is just that, an experience, a slow, deliberate, process. The face has been mapped, you know the different directions that your hairs go( and know what wtg, xtg, atg means). The beard is softened with hot water and then pre shave oil applied to further soften and help the blade glide. Then a lather is worked up with a quality, great smelling soap or cream. Then a nice slow shave with your favorite razor and blades. Btw, if you've not had a traditional straight razor shave, add that to your bucket list. This is about slowing down and pampering yourself and pondering your Universe.

IMo, folks who speed shave likely also speed up( read that, cut corners) in other areas in their life, like the bedroom.

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I just received a Gillette super adjustable that belonged to my wife's grandfather, probably from the '70s. A really nice razor and a step up from the smaller travel Gillette I've been using the past few years.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
I am strictly a 90s shaver guy. 1990s that is, which is when the Gillette Sensor came out. Prior to 1990, I shaved with many different "safety" razors, invariably cutting myself every single time. :(
The Sensor changed all that, not only for me but for many other men I think. I recall reading an article back then about the new razors being so popular that there were custom handles made of sterling silver and other costly materials being made for them.
I now use either the original 2 blade sensor razor, or one of the 3 blade versions, and almost never cut myself.

I have been using a Schick Quattro for many many years. It is good for a quick and clean shave before work, but for some time now I have been thinking of purchasing a straight razor. My biggest worry is how long it will take to master it so that I do not slice up my scalp. I have yet to do any research of value to even figure which razor would be to my liking.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner