Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
I don't have the stones to use a straight razor yet...

Currently, I alternate between a GEM single edge and a Gillette double edge. Other accoutrements are a boar hair brush, van der Hagen soap, and a shave mug that was my grandfather's and manufactured in England. I have a number of aftershaves that I alternate through, although my current go to is the family dollar version of old spice. I actually like it better than the real stuff, which I also have.

Mickey, I use a double edge Gillette safety razor most of the time as well. Specifically a 1950s "butterfly" opening model, as well as an adjustable on occasion. I have never gone back to cartridge razors in nearly two years. When I have more time in the morning I use the straight razor. I had my second shave with my Genco (pictured above) yesterday, and it was more pleasant than the first!

What I recommend for straight razors: start out with a disposal straight razor. The Parker Shavette is a great one, basically it's just a very sturdy razor holder. It uses half of a double edge razor in a straight razor configuration, allowing you to use a freshly sharp razor every time without worrying about stropping or honing an antique-style straight razor. It's what barbers use now because of health concerns, they just change razors between customers.

Best of luck!

-Max

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Found few vintage safety razors today. Gillette and two Czech Solunas.
1525664_617117251656677_297310040_n.jpg

995594_617117208323348_361327356_n.jpg

Last edited:

Giftmacher

One Too Many
The case probably belongs to the first razor. I carefully removed leatherette cover, removed the rust in vinegar solution and then glued again. Looks like Gillette old type from 20's, what do you think?

cchgn

One of the Regulars
yes, I have a 20's old style open comb ball end and a 30's new style open comb ball end, which is my favorite.

That one on the bottom of your first pic look interesting.

fashion frank

One Too Many
I use a modern razor but I also use the old fashioned shaving mug and brush with shaving gel.
I place a small amount of gel in the mug and with the brush create a lot of foam and apply it to my face .
It always seems that I get a better shave when I shave in this manner .

It's funny how thing's can change so much in a persons life.
When I first started out shaving it was the double sided "safety razor " and the stepic pencil .

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Mickey85

New in Town
Yes, welcome aboard. I used to use a shaving mug, but found it to be too cumbersome and began working lather on my face. Saves soap, time and less to carry when traveling.

However, after saying that, a tip: microwave the mug and then lather- hot lather.

Thanks guys! I'll have to try that. Currently, I fill the mug with hot water, after plopping in my brush, then I get a shower. Everything is hot and I can build a pretty thick lather. Picard, I've heard of the "cartridge" straights, and have heard good and bad about them...I might have to pick one up and see how badly I can mess up my face.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I use a shaving-scuttle when I whip up lather. I find it works very well. The holes under the soap-dish drain away all the excess water, which stops the lather from getting all soggy and sludgy.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
My wife surprised me with this set the day after Christmas.

feat_product_luxury.jpg

I'm usually leery of these pre-packaged sets, but for the price it was worth it just for the brush-and-razor stand. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. The lather from the soap is nice and slick and I got a great shave - very close. The brush is nice too, quite a bit stiffer than many of the purported "badger" brushes I've encountered. I finally set aside my Burma Shave boar-bristle brush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn