Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

The Wade and Butcher has the classic blade point. The wide blades definately have a different feel to them some seem to flex a bit when i am shaving with them. I shaved with a Henkle 4/8's and the shave was very different in feel.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Merkur classic open comb and Israeli Crystal blades with Proraso Green or Red shaving cream. Occasionally Tabac shaving soap in place of Proraso.

Mac

freebird

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
The Wade and Butcher has the classic blade point. The wide blades definately have a different feel to them some seem to flex a bit when i am shaving with them. I shaved with a Henkle 4/8's and the shave was very different in feel.

I find myself shaving a tad more slowly with anything over a 5/8. I suppose it's just a mental thing as the cutting area is the same, just a little taller blade. I haven't shaved with the Wade yet, probably tonight or tomorrow, but I have used the 8/8 in the past and it never fails to give me pause.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
I hope the gentlemen won't mind me asking a question here, I also hope it is the most appropiate thread for this.

I am eyeing a razor on Ebay, perhaps to gift my boyfriend, but the picture is small and the auction ends in just a few hours (I have asked the seller but I don't know if he will answer in time). The thing is that I don't know if the razor has a handle and will then be useable :eek: I am obviously clueless about this...

This is the (only) picture:

razor.jpg

Does this style of razor often have a screw on handle of sorts? that is the only way I can imagine it fitting in the box in this way. I cannot make out much on the picture, except what looks to be a beautiful brass "head". Any help is much appreciated!

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Well, the seller did answer me that indeed there is a handle, but then I was busy at work and missed the auction :eusa_doh:

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
I did get the razor by other means ;)

It says: GEM Junior, patent 1912. GEM, Brooklyn, New York, Made in U.S.A.

The head seems brass and I would say the screw on handle is painted steel (the black paint is a little chipped in places, and it is very heavy).

Edit to add pictures: 1, 2.

IMG_3873.jpg
IMG_3875.jpg

:eek:fftopic:

The case however :( it stinks terribly. A horrible stench of rotten cheese, very penetrating. I washed it with dish soap to no avail. I submerged it in rubbing alcohol (desperation) and the alcohol turned a blue purple, might be a dye. The case seems fine. Still stinks. I am gonna try vinegar next. It is so bad that if I cannot get rid of it I'll have to throw it away, even though I hate to do so :(
I've tried googling and haven't found anything. I have only found that celluloid can: let off a lot of gases such as nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide, and these make a pretty bad smell. But I don't even know what kind of plastic it is, it is black, not heavy, and has seams. Anyone has any idea on what I might do? [huh]

bd3

New in Town
Bebop said:
It seems that men don't talk too much about shaving with one another so let me break the silent code: Do any of you guys have a shaving product or technique that you think tops all? Razors, creams, lotions, anything would help. I have not tried the old fashioned brush method. I have a horrible time shaving. I can't seem to shave without having my face feel like someone just sandpapered it. What do you use to shave?

I use a 1960 Gillette Super Speed, C.O. Bigelow cream, and a boar hair brush. Great shave. I no longer get the razor rash that I used to get using the multi blade and electric razors.

Medvssa said:
I did get the razor by other means ;)

It says: GEM Junior, patent 1912. GEM, Brooklyn, New York, Made in U.S.A.

The head seems brass and I would say the screw on handle is painted steel (the black paint is a little chipped in places, and it is very heavy).

The case however :( it stinks terribly. A horrible stench of rotten cheese, very penetrating. I washed it with dish soap to no avail. I submerged it in rubbing alcohol (desperation) and the alcohol turned a blue purple, might be a dye. The case seems fine. Still stinks. I am gonna try vinegar next. It is so bad that if I cannot get rid of it I'll have to throw it away, even though I hate to do so :( I've tried googling and haven't found anything. I have only found that celluloid can: let off a lot of gases such as nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide, and these make a pretty bad smell. But I don't even know what kind of plastic it is, it is black, not heavy, and has seams. Anyone has any idea on what I might do? [huh]
It might be hard rubber AKA ebonite which can be soaked in clorox and cleaned then polished. You could try polishing it with automotive car wax to seal it.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
As an update to my post back in 2005 I still use the Mach 3 blade system but I've moved on to products from The Art of Shaving. The stuff is a bit more expensive but it sure does go a long way and their badger brushes are the tops.
I use their shaving oil after I soften up the beard with a hot wash cloth, then I lather on the cream liberally. I finish it off after the shave is done with cold water to close the pores & then their shaving balm.

I usually get a good smooth shave out of that combo & my face never breaks out & doesn't feel dried out. My favorite thus far has been the sandalwood collection.

Cheers!

Dan

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Differences in water?

I use a 1952 Gillette Super Speed for my shave. I realised that my shaves got worse since I moved back home from Scotland, although I did not change my shaving gear. We have quite "smooth" water here, i.e. much less chlorine and I assume much less calcium carbonate than over in the UK.
Do you think the water quality has an effect on your shave? Any experiences with that?

Luke 42 said:
IWe have quite "smooth" water here, i.e. much less chlorine and I assume much less calcium carbonate than over in the UK.
Do you think the water quality has an effect on your shave? Any experiences with that?
Water Hardness and Softness effects the ability to make good lather from shave soaps and creams affecting the lubricity of them.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
(If this is in the wrong place, please let me know!)

I was wondering if anyone could give me some good ideas. My mister's birthday is coming up and I wanted to send him for a good, old-fashioned, pampering shave at a shop as part of his gift. I non-chalantly mentioned this idea a few months ago, and apparently all he could think of was Sweeny Todd. Needless to say, I had to go back to the drawing board.

Now, here it is precisely eleven days from the day and I still haven't figured out a suitable replacement gift. I've been running through stores (spent all this past Saturday in fact) looking for some good sort of shaving set, but haven't found anything. He's very fair-skinned and his face can get very irritated by shaving, so I've been searching for something that'd be helpful in the cream/razor/aftershave departments but that isn't ridiculously expensive. Any recommendations?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy