Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you want out of life?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've never had lofty goals.

I've always wanted a house. As an adult, I've lived in two, but neither was really mine. The one I'm in now will technically be 'mine' soon, but I am not happy about the way in which it will become mine. So that goal is still, for the forseeable future, unfulfilled.

I've always wanted to be happily married. My first marriage didnt turn out that way. I believe we both settled. I'm going on my second time and I now have what I never had true, head-over-heels-in-love-ness.

As it's been said here, I don't need to be rich. I just want to be able to not have to worry about paying bills, and have some discretionary to go on vacation once in a while, upgrade the house, etc. I drive an economy car and am very happy with it. Would a boat or sports car be nice? Yes, but they're not high desire items.

I'm a teacher. I've always known I was going to be a teacher. It has its ups and downs ars far as fulfillment goes, but overall, I know I'm where I'm supposed to be, and I enjoy my job.

I could do a whole psychological piece here on my failings with my own child, but I won't. What will make me happy now is to continue to build my relationship with my 18 year old daughter, as well as my fiancee's kids. It's all going well.

The wedding is in 11 days. After all these years, I feel like my life is just beginning.

Last edited:
I completely understand on how moving tolls on you. I am currently in the 14th place I've been in my life, and I'm 20.

I've been extremely lucky to have the "house in the suburbs with a white picket fence, a spouse, two and a half kids, a dog, a two car garage and neighbors who maintain their yard - all afforded on a single white collar income" type of life since I was in my 20s and although the husband has changed (I'm divorced and remarried) and one of the kids turned 20 and moved out, that's been my world. Given that, I can't and I would never complain about it, even with all the emotional ups and downs I've had over the years, so I guess there are only two things that I really want out of life now:

One is to finally be settled. Before I was ever married to someone in the military, I have moved, for different reasons, every 2-5 years (that makes 7 different houses in 5 different towns and in 3 different states) and I'm really tired of it even though I'm only forty-one. I thought this was the last house I would live in, but I found out about a month ago that it's not :rolleyes:

The second and most important, is that I want to know that I've done a good job raising my kids so they will be happy, healthy upstanding citizens. All I ever wanted to be was a mom and I was lucky enough to have two great kids and although I know that no one is a perfect parent, I certainly strive for it.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To be content - in my marriage, in my role as a mother, in my daily job. I have the first two - it's just the job right now that is leaving me a bit stressed. Toxic work environments are not fun. Still, I am incredibly thankful to have a job in this economy.

To look at the small things in life and appreciate them. Every day.

To have enough money to be content - like others have said, I don't need to be rich - just enough in the bank not to worry about paying my bills and also, to have the ability to travel once a year.

These are exactly the things that I want. I think I'm a pretty good husband and a great dad to an amazing little girl. My job makes me miserable, from the people to the ridiculous hours; it's just awful. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't fantasize about finding a job that fulfills me and pays the bills. I dream about having a great day at work, and then coming home to have dinner with my little family and talk about our day. This has never happened. Perhaps it never will. That's what keeps me from truly feeling content.

Last edited:

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a tough one. Some people are better measured by their appetites than their accomplishments.

I waffle between the Musashi/Dhammapada thought that one should find comfort in nothing in order to be ever vigilant, ever detached, and the America Dream ideal that I can retire one day with a great family, awesome career and wonderful home.

Neither side has topped the other. I guess that's striking a balance, and if balance is the key to a good life, I guess I'm there.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm a firm believer in the old saying "be careful what you wish for." Nobody in my family had ever retired -- we all worked to the very end -- until my mother retired last year. She'd always wanted to, and now that she has, she finds she hates it and is more miserable than ever. Be careful what you wish for.

Me, I'll settle for supper on the table, a roof that doesn't leak, and a trustworthy friend or two. Everything beyond that is gravy.

JimWagner

Practically Family
On the other hand, my wife and I both plan on retiring this coming Jan. 1 and I have quite a backlog of things to keep me busy. House and yard projects. Travel. Way too many hobbies I don't get much time for now. Fishing. Some good years to enjoy it all is really all I want.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
These are exactly the things that I want. I think I'm a pretty good husband and a great dad to an amazing little girl. My job makes me miserable, from the people to the ridiculous hours; it's just awful. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't fantasize about finding a job that fulfills me and pays the bills. I dream about having a great day at work, and then coming home to have dinner with my little family and talk about our day. This has never happened. Perhaps it never will. That's what keeps me from truly feeling content.

Me, too, flat-top. I have days where it feels like my job is sucking my soul right out of me. It's a shame since we devote most of our time to our day jobs - and that's a lot of time to be miserable. I try to stay positive as much as I can. It's very low-stress and when 5 p.m. rolls around, I leave and don't think about it until the next day. In other words, it doesn't come home with me.

Still, I have a master's degree in history that I'm not using in the day job - and if I could remedy that, it would help (especially when it comes to paying those student loans...).

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I live in a lovely house, with a nice garden, have a wonderful husband, and am able to pursue my studies while teaching (my passion in life). I'm just starting my research this summer and I can't wait. I have some time for my hobbies (not enough, but they wouldn't be hobbies if I did). I'm productive- and I love being productive.

I am a really goal-orientated person. I am only happy when working towards a goal. If all my goals were met, I'd have nothing to strive for, life would be unchallenging and uninteresting. Right now my goals include earning my PhD, getting some craft projects done, growing a good garden, and getting our kitchen rehabbed (from slightly longer to shorter term). I've got more goals (believe me) and I can't wait to finish some of my current ones to get started on my next ones. :) But it's not just about finishing goals, it's about the planning, setting, and getting there that is exciting.

I hope to always be a well-rounded person. That means a mix of career, family, home, and hobbies for me. There was a time where I put some of those things off and I realized that I was waiting for life to begin for me. I wasn't any more successful, and I wasn't happy.

So for me, being "successful" is being a well-rounded, goal-setting and achieving person.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
To be able to make a living from all the education I have.
To be able to go to the doctor without having to save for 3 years.
Maybe a husband, but if I get the first two I won't be picky.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points