Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of my future Aero hercules order?

Tontus

New in Town
Hi Guys,
Been lurking for a long time looking at all your awesome leather jackets.:eusa_clap
I now have my mind set on a black FQHH Aero Hercules with some mods and I would be curious to hear from you guys if you would do anything different? here are the mods im thinking of:
- No cargo pockets or breast pocket to clean up the look, also less slant on the handwarmer pockets.
- Two interior pockets: on the left a vertical one and on the right a horizontal one.
- on the back I want the same biswing and yoke as the Half belt deluxe.
- I want the main zipper to start lower than on the original model close to the bottom of the jacket.
- Strip of leather in the inner bottom to prevent sagging of the lining.

Now here are a few questions for you guys that I am not sure about:

- Should I forget the biswing ? I mean will it make the jacket look more boxy if dont have it ? Does it offer any real life advantages to those that have one?
- Should I go for leather lined cuffs to prevent wear? can the leather lining be made of a softer leather?
- I want the jacket to be as warm weather friendly so I was thinking cotton drill throughout for the lining but I like tartan and was wondering if a reiver light weight tartan is actually warmer or the same as cotton drill ?

Thats it guys...I need expert help and i think that this is the only place that I will find it, I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Cheers!:D

Tontus

New in Town
Hi Hoosier,
Dunno about the cuffs but the bottom strip is def an option as Amanda stated to me its possible for and extra 50£, also forgot to mention that I was thinking of putting in a leather flap behind the zippers...keep it coming gents, would love to hear your critique.

Cheers!

Hi Hoosier,
Dunno about the cuffs but the bottom strip is def an option as Amanda stated to me its possible for and extra 50£, also forgot to mention that I was thinking of putting in a leather flap behind the zippers...keep it coming gents, would love to hear your critique.

Cheers!

Since there has been staff change at Aero..those options have been cancelled. Amanda is no longer employed at Aero.
HD

Tontus

New in Town
Aha...oops....sorry. My email is dated from quite a while ago so I guess my info is also. Oh well.
Hoosier do you know if the main zipper flap is still an option or if any of my mods would not be possible after the changes at Aero?

Cheers.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think removing the cargo pockets and those flaps is a great idea. I would do that too. I'd go cotton drill but this kind of jacket is not going to be warm leather friendly regardless. Go the half-belt back and the bi-swings are cool.

Jules

New in Town
Hi Tontus

I have a Herc with a biswing back it doesnt seem to add or detract from its comfort or performance but I do like the look of it, it does make the back a little more bulky though.

My cuffs are lined with cotton drill and seem to be holding up pretty well i I also have the knitted inner cuff too for warmth . I am not sure if they are still availalble but Aero did make all leather button cuffs i think they would be better in warmer conditions.
I have both light wool Tartan and drill lined jackets and cant say i notice a difference in insulation.

You also mentioned lengthening the zip my zip is standard length and i will ask about making my zip shorter if it ever needs replacing.The reason i say shorter is because the leather is quite stiff so when you sit down the front of the jacket is forced up in to your face I guess you could just undo the zip but for me its the only minor gripe i have about my Herc. I had wondered if it would be possible to shorten the zip and maybe put a tab with a popper across the bottom to keep it fully closed when you need to.

Id love an all black standard Herc I like all the details on it, the front cargo pockets are a little pointless for me but i like the little flaps so I can live with them. I think the only mods ill do "when" I order one is add a premanent non removable fur collar and maybe have the button cuffs insead of the standard cuffs with the knitted inner.

Hope this helps
Jules

Graemsay

Practically Family
As others have said, the leather strip has been discontinued but Aero now offer a no-cost option of a wider, corduroy strip instead.

I've got an old Hercules without the chest pocket, so this photo will give you an idea of the look.

FullyTightened.jpg

Also consider a Pioneer style back, with a split main panel and vent to give a bi-swing effect.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I'd lose the bi-swing back. I have a Herc in FQHH. The clean sweep of all that HH is a joy to behold; the bi-swing detracts from that, I think, and adds nothing to the fit or the wearing of your jacket. Simpler is better. There's my two pence worth.

Hi Tontus

I have a Herc with a biswing back it doesnt seem to add or detract from its comfort or performance but I do like the look of it, it does make the back a little more bulky though.

My cuffs are lined with cotton drill and seem to be holding up pretty well i I also have the knitted inner cuff too for warmth . I am not sure if they are still availalble but Aero did make all leather button cuffs i think they would be better in warmer conditions.
I have both light wool Tartan and drill lined jackets and cant say i notice a difference in insulation.

You also mentioned lengthening the zip my zip is standard length and i will ask about making my zip shorter if it ever needs replacing.The reason i say shorter is because the leather is quite stiff so when you sit down the front of the jacket is forced up in to your face I guess you could just undo the zip but for me its the only minor gripe i have about my Herc. I had wondered if it would be possible to shorten the zip and maybe put a tab with a popper across the bottom to keep it fully closed when you need to.

Id love an all black standard Herc I like all the details on it, the front cargo pockets are a little pointless for me but i like the little flaps so I can live with them. I think the only mods ill do "when" I order one is add a premanent non removable fur collar and maybe have the button cuffs insead of the standard cuffs with the knitted inner.

Hope this helps
Jules

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Why not ask if a two way zipper is available(I know these used to be available) then if you need to sit down with the jacket fastened you can open the zip from the bottom to aleviate the problem of the jacket riding up.

D

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Why not ask if a two way zipper is available(I know these used to be available) then if you need to sit down with the jacket fastened you can open the zip from the bottom to aleviate the problem of the jacket riding up.

D

I have one of their jackets on order that was to have a 2-way zip, but was told they would no longer do it due to the recent policy changes, but that they will do a shorter zip as an alternative.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Tontus,

I assume you've seen my Hercules, w/out the bottom pockets. Personally, I am happy I kept the breast pocket. I like what
it does to the otherwise smooth look. I am with jack miranda on the back- I'd go so far as to say that's too much of a change.
I am pleased that the zipper doesn't go all the way down the front. It's just right for allowing the coat to open to permit
sitting down. I would definitely get the corduroy in the back- my lining is sagging a bit and it's less than a year old.

Good luck with your Hercules order.

Hi Guys,
Been lurking for a long time looking at all your awesome leather jackets.:eusa_clap
I now have my mind set on a black FQHH Aero Hercules with some mods and I would be curious to hear from you guys if you would do anything different? here are the mods im thinking of:
- No cargo pockets or breast pocket to clean up the look, also less slant on the handwarmer pockets.
- Two interior pockets: on the left a vertical one and on the right a horizontal one.
- on the back I want the same biswing and yoke as the Half belt deluxe.
- I want the main zipper to start lower than on the original model close to the bottom of the jacket.
- Strip of leather in the inner bottom to prevent sagging of the lining.

Now here are a few questions for you guys that I am not sure about:

- Should I forget the biswing ? I mean will it make the jacket look more boxy if dont have it ? Does it offer any real life advantages to those that have one?
- Should I go for leather lined cuffs to prevent wear? can the leather lining be made of a softer leather?
- I want the jacket to be as warm weather friendly so I was thinking cotton drill throughout for the lining but I like tartan and was wondering if a reiver light weight tartan is actually warmer or the same as cotton drill ?

Thats it guys...I need expert help and i think that this is the only place that I will find it, I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Cheers!:D

Tontus

New in Town
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the feed back and ideas. Greamsay, your jacket looks great and the fit looks just right, tell me are your buckles cinched down or open in that pic?

I am not sure about the zip but to me I would rarely want to sit with the jacket closed, however its a valid point and I may ask them to lower the zip by an inch instead of all the way down.

About the back I was thinking of the back config of a halfbelt deluxe as I dont like the full biswing but really like that one as it makes the look really clean.

I wont be needing storm cuffs as I will be wearing the jacket in climates that do not require them, that I why I was thinking of leather lined cuffs. I will def be going with the corduroy strip on the bottom do you think that the cord can be put into the cuffs instead of leather for wear reduction ?

Also I am thinking of ordering the jacket in shaved FQHH or at least made of some thinner panels they have at the factory....its a longer jacket and I dont want it to be too heavy...are there any pics well worn shaved FQHH around?
do you think it would age differently than FQHH?
Also something that is confusing me on the aero site is that one some jacket description is specifies "heavy FQHH"
while on some other descriptions it says just FQHH. Is there an actual difference in the leather thickness of these jackets or its just an omission and all FQHH jackets are made of "heavy" leather?

Cheers!

Graemsay

Practically Family
Thanks for the feed back and ideas. Greamsay, your jacket looks great and the fit looks just right, tell me are your buckles cinched down or open in that pic?

I think that the buckles were cinched in that photo, but it's about four years old so I can't remember all the details. :D

The fit isn't bad, though back then it was quite snug in the shoulders. And if I was doing it again I'd get the body tapered somewhat.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Tontus,
i have about 6 original HH long half belts & all of them with the exception of 1 have the high zipper placement i have 1 thats 9'' up & the lowest exception is 4''
so these are beautifully broken in & no tears on the botton zipper seams, the side buckles work great & belive me they are comfy when sitting zipped...
the lower you go you will be uncomfortable, heck with the highest i can ride a old bobber with a spring seat super comfy & i do have 2 short Areos a HwM & a deluxe HB &
i cannot even get on a bicycle with those zipped,,,, so leave it high at the bottom its original to the real Long H/b's
& dont even think about a leather strip on the bottom inside,,, Codouroy is original to the older originals....& i have some that are still intact at the bottom seam.
So good choice on the Coduroy bottom, Good Decision, Storm cuffs suck Good choice leaving those out, My oldest does have Coduroy in the cuff.
but that can get dirty easy,,,remember inner sleeve tears & bottom lining tears can be fixed easy at most leather shops & dont need to go back to Aero.. But its nothing to worry for years.
I mentioned in a other post regarding the leather strip being useless & absolutely no support & shows a ugly bulging line & doesnt drape well....
you know that your breaking in proscess will require sitting actually its a must so the lower zipper will just restrict that & these zippers are heavy duty compared to a original talon.
Plus with the bigger gap by a higher zipper you can get a better V-Cut to your build/shape by snugging up the side buckles, more vintage looking.
Also take in regard to the old buttoned front HH carcoats & i do have a prewar buttoned long HB....no low buttons ever...................or POP Off
if this is what your after,, a true old school look
hope this helps & just my 2 cents
che

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

I like it without the breast pocket. With the cargo pockets, you really don't need it anyway. What do you think about using elastic at the sides instead of the side straps? I've never seen a car coat with side straps. It's always either a belt or an elasticized side.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Aero used to do the Cropduster, which had elastic instead of side straps. I liked the look, which was cleaner, but you'd want the jacket to be a bit more fitted for them to work well. There aren't pictures on the website any more, but I'm sure they could send you them if you asked.

If going that way then I'd be inclined to go for a two piece back, with a yoke and plain back, but no half belt.

The lining in my jacket is a thick rayon with quilting. Probably takes the jacket down by one size. But it's held up beautifully, which is unusual for me. Unfortunately Aero don't offer this any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo