Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear in the winter??

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Service N-2B's can be purchased for a 'song' and perform well from my experience...a fraction of most shearlings :-D

wdw

One Too Many
Cold and dry - Irvin
Cold and wet - Stockman and jumper
Really cold and windy - North Face McMurdo parka

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
LHB with a warm pullover and a cap or hat. Enough.

I plan to wear my Aero LHB as much as I can this winter to break it in properly. I'm in upstate New York and it gets plenty cold, but my intention is to wear a warm layer underneath. If it gets bitter cold, I have a down jacket that is more than warm enough. I considered picking up an RAF Irvin, but the lack of pockets was a deal breaker for me.

IXL

One Too Many
When it gets really cold and I'm going to be outside for some time I always grab a Blauer parka. I also have a nice Filson Double Mac that is pretty groovy. If I will just be standing around I might grab a B-3.

Pat Spade

Familiar Face
Aero Stuart with wool pullover. Or `41made swedish army tunic, also with wool pullover. Both works fine to about -5 Celsius....if it gets worse (wich is not that often in my neck of the woods), I still have an old down feather parka...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Having just moved back to Northern Norway in winter it's an Arctic conditions parka for most of the time. I'll use my ELC Irvin when our container with all our stuff arrives but that will get an airing on the less extreme days.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Having just moved back to Northern Norway in winter it's an Arctic conditions parka for most of the time. I'll use my ELC Irvin when our container with all our stuff arrives but that will get an airing on the less extreme days.

Smithy, what are you doing way up there? After two HA cruises to warmer climes (Hawaii and then S Spain / S Portugal / Funchal, Madeira), we are looking at the the Norwegian fjords next August. We cruise as far north as Tromso and Honningsvad, within 400 miles of the N Pole. Hopefully won't need the gear you are using now. :eeek:

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
In Texas, it only gets sub-freezing very few times a year. I can wear a wool peacoat or overcoat, or any of my leather jackets with a light sweater, and it's all good. I travel to Chicago a lot, so that's when the silk underwear, Under Armor layers, etc., come out. I wore a 3/4 leather jacket with a light turtleneck sweater in Chicago last week, and it was fine (with gloves and scarf, of course). I'll be back in Chicago week of 1/5, when the highs will doubtlessly be in the mid 20s at best.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Smithy, what are you doing way up there? After two HA cruises to warmer climes (Hawaii and then S Spain / S Portugal / Funchal, Madeira), we are looking at the the Norwegian fjords next August. We cruise as far north as Tromso and Honningsvad, within 400 miles of the N Pole. Hopefully won't need the gear you are using now. :eeek:

Hi Fanch, the better half is norwegian and we've lived here twice previously but with little ones now we decided to move back permanently.

And good choice you'll be going on the Hurtigruten up the coast, it's seriously beautiful. If you need a hand with anything in relation to Norway just let me know!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Hi Fanch, the better half is norwegian and we've lived here twice previously but with little ones now we decided to move back permanently.

And good choice you'll be going on the Hurtigruten up the coast, it's seriously beautiful. If you need a hand with anything in relation to Norway just let me know!

Thanks Smithy and will do. I heard that part of the world is beautiful, much the same as Antarctica that is likely a bridge too far for me but will see. Anyhow our trip to Norway is planned for next year and look foward to a cooler climate while everyone else in Dallas bakes in the excruciating August heat there.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Smithy and will do. I heard that part of the world is beautiful, much the same as Antarctica that is likely a bridge too far for me but will see. Anyhow our trip to Norway is planned for next year and look foward to a cooler climate while everyone else in Dallas bakes in the excruciating August heat there.

Let me know when you come as the Hurtigruten stops here and it would be a pleasure to shout you a beer. Bring a warm jacket though as the weather is fickle and can still get nippy even sometimes in summer.

wild_balls

Practically Family
The fjords and other places in Norway are one of the most beautiful places in the world! Sounds like a good choice Fanch, you will not be dissapointed! I go up there every year flyfishing for salmon.

Cheers Joakim

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Regular cold - Peacoat, wool mackinaw or lined leather....

Stiff cold (like now) - Alexander D-1 or layered Filson Double Mackinaw.

Witches Teet Cold - Aero Pre-War Irvin, Aero Thunderbay, Pike Bros B-10 or "no name" Canadian shearling lined Barnstormer.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL