Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear in the winter??

DYTW

New in Town
It suddenly getting really cold in UK. I am wearing a M65 with liner and a medium weight sweater, but still feel a bit cold...just wonder what you guys wear now? Or, how do you guys wear leather jacket in the winter?

I seriously doubt a leather jacket will be adequate in winter, certainly not any better than the M65.

Last edited:

Glenville86

Familiar Face
I can wear a medium weight timberland vest under my thin lined cowhide leather jackets and stay warm in above zero weather. When the wind is howling and it is below zero or there about, I can get by with a quilted leather jacket with no layering. Now if I am not going to be moving around and standing a lot outside, I will wear a down parka. These are no good for me if walking like I do to work which is around 1 1/2 miles each way as I will sweat completely through my shirt.

Dav

One Too Many
Found an Irvin and a long sleeve t-shirt was perfect for walking the dogs this morning, it is mild though. Been wearing a heavy shirt between the jacket and t-shirt in the recent frost, also perfect! :)

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Minus 13c

image22_zps4855c30f.jpg

Hal

Practically Family
We hear this view a lot here in UK. Of course, -5°C isn't as cold as an even colder temperature in THE COLDEST PLACES ON EARTH, but it's cold enough!...Also, in context, 6°C one day and a minus temperature a day or so later is quite a swing...And in some areas of these islands you only have to travel an hour or so - or less - to be in a completely different temperature zone.
With your last two sentences, I agree. But in a different thread I have mentioned my experience in Norway's Hallingdal, which is a favourite ski-region and far from being one of the coldest places on earth. There I experienced -25C, but it was still and sunny and the atmosphere was dry, and did not feel particularly cold, so it would certainly be possible to under-dress.
And I largely prefer -5°C with low humidity than 5°C with humidity. For me, this is the key. I'm not very sensitive to cold, but as soon as it's getting more or less cold and the air dampens, then it's hell for me.
I very much agree! Norwegian friends tell me that they find +1 or +2C with wind and rain, which is not unusual in Britain, far more uncomortable than most of what Norway throws at them.
What we have here is -5 C with rain...
Really? Is that physically possible? Surely that's a temperature mis-measurement? Wouldn't the rain have frozen as it fell?

My feeling on this is that British men simply underdress in cold weather (people-watching quickly shows this). Whether this comes from people not being out in the cold for other than very short periods, or a false machismo, or the silly mindset that minimal clothing = comfortable clothing, I can't tell.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Yeah Im very happy with the fit. I am also very glad I got it a little bit longer since I can now wear sweaters and stuff (wich will stick out with standard Irvin length).

I also find near-zero temperatures to be the worst. I know now that hell isnt hot, it is holding +1 with a breeze.

I think that its the humidity that does it. -up to 20 can be ok because its dry here, but around zero (celcius) its humid and it creeps into the pores and its just nasty nasty.

-20 with wind or -25 will offcourse be pretty nasty adfter an hour or so, and its becoming not a problem with jacket, but that the face starts to hurt. In these temps we need doubble gloves and hat and a thick scarf around face.

Supercooled rain is very possible and we had it just a few days ago. Rain came down onto the windshield of the car and instantly froze. I had to stop and go out and scrape it off before I could continue driving.

http://quadpoint.org/articles/supercooling/

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Currently Expecting Heavy winter storm, with Some plus Temperature meaning Freezing Rain shower. Snow right now.

not sure what to dress for in These fluxing conditions, except WARM.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Griff - That's great fitting Irvin! They can have a tendency to have the 'Michelin Man' look about them but yours and Dav's probably the best fitting Irvins I've seen to date!

Stand By

One Too Many
When I came to Canada (from the UK) back in '96, I came thinking I was prepared with the best British clothing for the worst British winter: Wholly inadequate. Man, I froze my A$$. I was miserable. As bad luck would have it, the winter of '96/'97 was a bad one (by Canadian standards) and I couldn't believe the penetrating frigid cold and the sheer lack of any thaw - for months! It was relentless. And I didn't buy any decent gear as I wasn't sure if I was going to stay or not - so I didn't want to bring back any clobber I'd never wear again. So I toughed it out and was very cold.
After by the end of the second winter, I was so miserable I didn't care anymore. I was determined not to be that cold - never again!
And so for the third winter, I decided to put my hand in my pocket and get my wallet out and get some proper gear - and I quickly discovered that in doing so, I could embrace winter - and not resent it. And winter is now my favourite season out here!

And the place I started was in discovering LLBean for myself and their flannel-lined jeans/chinos/cargo pants! I wear them so much, they're all walking around by themselves come spring ...
And their river driver shirts - with their flannel-lined shirts over them.
And snow claw winter boots.
Then I discovered ELC and their Irvin and RW B3 … and B2 caps. And C-3 vests. And RAF sweaters. And Buzz watch caps. And Buzz/ELC gloves.
And they all look great with the LL Bean stuff.

Stand By

One Too Many
PS. And last winter was BRUTAL as we all now know … and I must confess that my gear struggled to keep up with the dropping mercury.
So after I went for another Buzz L2-A earlier this year and rediscovered the joy of nylon, I decided to extend that joy into winter - and I picked up a really nice N3-B (mid/late 1950s) for myself. I'd never had a parka before - not even at school (when everyone but me seemed to have one!) and suddenly this (Albert Turner, black label) jacket showed up - and immediately I LOVE IT! It fits perfectly, the design is amazing as well as the materials, has a decent ruff still and perfect cuffs, USAF decal and it's toasty warm - it's blanket-lined ! I had NO idea I'd like it this much. And it's longer than my B-3 and Irvin so better there too. And a steal at US$110 !!!!!
It's off having some replacement buttons sewn on and the zip puller tab being re-sewn too - should be back next week. Then ol' man winter can do whatever he likes. I'm set. :) Bring. It. ON!

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
Anything above minus twenty, a Swanndri woollen shirt and Swanndri woollen coat are as good as gold. Below that I just throw an ex army parka, normally two sizes too large, over the top and away to go. Below minus forty I say "Bu**er it" and stay inside.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I live in Albany, New York and a vintage pea coat takes care of 90% of my winter. Now, I don't work outside, so I don't usually need something extreme. If I am going to be outside in serious cold for extended periods, I have a down-filled Burton Snowboard Jacket that is seriously warm. I find that if I keep my hands, feet and head warm, the rest of my body just falls into place. I seriously considered purchasing the RAF Irvin on the classified pages here, but if I need that much warmth, I expect to be able to put my hands in my jacket pocket - and the Irvin has no pockets.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
A red buffalo plaid wool cruiser. A blue buffalo plaid wool double mackinaw. A gray gasoline jacket with a quilted liner (old uniform supply and laundry throw away), and I wear it the most. A black M-65 field jacket with a quilted liner, and I wear this one the least. A Columbia berguntal cloth anorak as a top layer if I'm working out in a snowfall or rainfall, because it is good against the wind and is water-resistant.

Corcoran 1525 field boots. A super beat up pair of brown Viberg 148 Lace-to-Toe lug-soled boots. But I wear running shoes of some sort most of the time because I'm too lazy to lace.

Some kind of cotton dungarees or M-1951 wool trousers over longjohns if I'm working outside for any length of time.

I have a lot of cool old military surplus because I lived near a joint that sold it for dirt cheap. I love the stuff, and fashion is second fiddle to function.

Cooperson

One Too Many
I live in Albany, New York and a vintage pea coat takes care of 90% of my winter. Now, I don't work outside, so I don't usually need something extreme. If I am going to be outside in serious cold for extended periods, I have a down-filled Burton Snowboard Jacket that is seriously warm. I find that if I keep my hands, feet and head warm, the rest of my body just falls into place. I seriously considered purchasing the RAF Irvin on the classified pages here, but if I need that much warmth, I expect to be able to put my hands in my jacket pocket - and the Irvin has no pockets.

The Irvin light weight version has pockets - just saying because I've been considering this option myself, got to keep the hands warm :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Anything above minus twenty, a Swanndri woollen shirt and Swanndri woollen coat are as good as gold. Below that I just throw an ex army parka, normally two sizes too large, over the top and away to go. Below minus forty I say "Bu**er it" and stay inside.

As a Kiwi myself I got a smile on my face with the mention of Swanndri ;) I've got a few myself, good stuff.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Being in the southeastern portion of the US, winter is often times not as brutal as other locations. For days that are dry and only slightly cool (7.2 C - 12.7 C/ 45-55 F) I wear a fleece jacket I purchased from a sporting good store (Bass Pro Shop). When it is wet or any colder, I wear a duster that was made by Australian Outfitters. The duster is 20 years old and has been around the world with me. It has stood up to numerous cold weather environments, it is my first choice when the cold weather sets in. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart