Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear in the winter??

Let me preface this by saying that thank God I live in central Alabama, and that on average the city I live in has about 1.4 days annually that the daytime high temperature does not exceed freezing.
When working, I usually wear a Carhartt blanket lined chore coat, with a hoodie underneath if needed. Otherwise I have a Schott 118 Perfecto that usually does the job. It's big enough to get a sweater underneath if need be, and I have the optional furry collar. If it gets really cold, I haul out the Woolrich "Pennsylvania tuxedo" wool hunting coat.
I did manage to survive a winter in Kiev a few years ago in a cheap@ss Wilson's leather car coat with a zip in liner and a couple of wool sweaters to layer under it. More of a testament to L.L.Bean than to Wilson's, though.

Hal

Practically Family
Yes, really cold today. But it will getting warmer in next few days. Finally don't need 4 layers...
Oh, please - "really cold"? It's hardly ever really cold on this island. The minimum temperature near me the night before last was -5C. Those who have visited (or lived in) some parts of the Continent, including Scandinavia, may have experienced -25C, as do many of the North American majority on these fora.
Why not regard winter as an opportunity to layer? It's easier to achieve thermal comfort in the colder seasons, and the clothes are smarter (in the British sense) and to me more psychologically satisfying to wear.

Last edited:

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
We hear this view a lot here in UK. Of course, -5°C isn't as cold as an even colder temperature in THE COLDEST PLACES ON EARTH, but it's cold enough!

Also, in context, 6°C one day and a minus temperature a day or so later is quite a swing. I think even Canadians might complain about that. ;) And in some areas of these islands you only have to travel an hour or so - or less - to be in a completely different temperature zone.

Ask anyone who's been forced outdoors to smoke a cig: -5°C *is* really cold :)

Cocker

Practically Family

I can answer to that :-D

And I largely prefer -5°C with low humidity than 5°C with humidity. For me, this is the key. I'm not very sensitive to cold, but as soon as it's getting more or less cold and the air dampens, then it's hell for me.

zhz

Practically Family
We hear this view a lot here in UK. Of course, -5°C isn't as cold as an even colder temperature in THE COLDEST PLACES ON EARTH, but it's cold enough!

Also, in context, 6°C one day and a minus temperature a day or so later is quite a swing. I think even Canadians might complain about that. ;) And in some areas of these islands you only have to travel an hour or so - or less - to be in a completely different temperature zone.

This is exactly why I am considering stop smoking...

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Here in Seattle, I can get by most days with my Aero Maxwell and a Merino sweater. The last few days have been clear with a biting north wind. For that, I wear my bridge coat with a down shirt underneath. Toasty warm. Beanie and scarf with both.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not very cold but a bit crazy here today. 9 Degree celcius in the morning rising to 20 in the afternoon then drop back to 12. Wearing A-2 with a hoodie.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
teens/20s: Sterlingwear peacoat, Alpha and LL Bean MA-1s, Bean Warmup jacket

30s/40s: ATF Tanker, WPG Ike, G&B M-422A, London Fog wool-blend topcoat

40s/50s: G&B and GW A-2s (and some from the above and below ranges)

50s/60s: Wested Raiders, Cockpit M-43, WPG belted bush jacket

With wool or cotton sweaters, or fleeces or sweatshirts, underneath as needed.

zebedee

One Too Many
t-shirt, fleece-lined hoodie, Aero FQHH LHB, a scarf, harris tweed baker boy cap. Sometimes I wear a FQHH Stockman or a double-breasted Aero steerhide one-off that I got from the sales page.

I've always found that the main thing is keeping feet warm- thick socks and DM Chelsea boots sorts it.

Jim.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Going by our weather forecast for tomorrow I'll be going from N-3A (today) to L-2A. Hotter than Corfu is what's being predicted.

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
I'm in S. Florida, so I don't have to worry about winter wear for the most part. But next month, I'm going to the NC Smoky Mountains, where it will no doubt be cold, so I'll be taking my russet brown" LW Speed Demon" jacket...Its 4oz horsehide will keep me warm... I'll pair it with a nice wool scarf and buckskin colored leather gloves.

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
Leather is a poor insulator, regardless of thickness. It's what is under the leather that can keep one warm. By the way, that Speed Demon looks to be one terrific jacket.

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
IXL -- Gotcha, makes perfect sense... That's why I usually get my jackets a bit roomier for layering. Thanks btw, I'm very happy with the "SD" -- Lost Worlds' leatherwork is breathtaking.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL