Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Does The FL Think of So-called Black Friday?

There was even a study by the Army that found that half of their recruits had never even changed a tire in their lives.

VC, dude! I was in a parking garage this past spring. It was the bottom level, and there was a car sitting there with a flat. Often times (sorry) I find these situations are younger women. In this case, it was a couple - 20's with the "man" in the driver's seat.
I asked if they needed help - I'm more than happy to change a tire or offer some coolant/oil as I keep spare in my FJ's trunk. The guy looks over at me and says "No, we're waiting on AAA". I asked if there was something wrong like no spare? He just said "No, we have the service so I'm waiting for them to come".
Needless to say, I wasn't sure whether I should laugh at this wanker, or offer the young lady a ride since she was with such a weenie. Sad times man!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The last time I had to change a tire was on my old VW Rabbit about fifteen years ago. I was coming back from an reporting assignment wearing a business suit and heels, and it was raining. And I was still able to change the tire and get back on the road in less than twenty minutes. If you're able to drive a car, there's no excuse on earth for not being able to change a tire.

Feraud

Bartender
The last tire I changed happened on the way home from food shopping with my wife and son. The spare and jack were located in a recess in the trunk under all the groceries!
I was more annoyed having to unload and repack the groceries to access the tire than changing the thing! lol

The biggest obstacle that has to be overcome is the middle-class idea that the trades are for people who "aren't smart enough" to sit in an office shifting one column of figures across the internet to another column 3000 miles away. And aside from them, we have too many young people rampant in the land who wouldn't ever even think of taking up a manual trade, because after all, they're artists and intellectuals, not people in greasy overalls with dirt under their fingernails.

The sad irony is that a lot of those young people *will* end up taking up a trade when they find that the market for their art and their intellect isn't what they expected it to be. But "barista" will never pay as well, or contribute as much to the well-being of society as "plumber."

Once again you've hit the nail on the head. I was lucky enough to get a summer job during college helping a plumber. If you'd told me then that it was what I would end up doing I'd have laughed at you. But a few years out when a lot of my friends were selling shoes and waiting tables and I was traveling around the country making a decent paycheck, I was glad I had learned a trade.
And don't be to hard on the baristas. All that coffee people drink ultimately contributes to the need for good plumbing.;)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Once again you've hit the nail on the head. I was lucky enough to get a summer job during college helping a plumber. If you'd told me then that it was what I would end up doing I'd have laughed at you. But a few years out when a lot of my friends were selling shoes and waiting tables and I was traveling around the country making a decent paycheck, I was glad I had learned a trade.
And don't be to hard on the baristas. All that coffee people drink ultimately contributes to the need for good plumbing.;)

I understand morticians make a good living too. They are just dying to get in. :p

I'll gladly provide the whip.

It is a real loss that our country has dropped emphasis on the trades. It seems illogical as jobs like electricians, masons, carpentry, auto-mechanics, etc. is not something you can source out.

Lord knows folks try. I can't begin to scratch the surface of how much poor quality work gets done by low skilled / low paid migrant workers. Why on earth would I pay an electrician $75+ an hour to wire my house when I can find a couple of day laborers who will do it for $10 an hour and be done in half the time? How bad do think this could get?
Please don't think I have any kind of problem at all with immigrants. I absolutely do not, I figure that unless you are a Native American you pretty much wouldn't be here, but often times employers are only looking at the bottom line and overlook the fact that willingness to do a job is not the same as knowing how to do a job.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lord knows folks try. I can't begin to scratch the surface of how much poor quality work gets done by low skilled / low paid migrant workers. Why on earth would I pay an electrician $75+ an hour to wire my house when I can find a couple of day laborers who will do it for $10 an hour and be done in half the time? How bad do think this could get?

And then the guy who sent the day laborers around to see you comes by to sell you fire insurance.

The last time I had to change a tire was on my old VW Rabbit about fifteen years ago. I was coming back from an reporting assignment wearing a business suit and heels, and it was raining. And I was still able to change the tire and get back on the road in less than twenty minutes. If you're able to drive a car, there's no excuse on earth for not being able to change a tire.

Did you say "Oh, FFFFFUUUDDDDGGGEEE" as the lugnuts flew through the air in slow motion?

Just in time for the season. :eusa_clap

HD, James has you. There is no way to eat ribs without getting your hands dirty. :D

You never had a rib sandwich?

ma8enery.jpg

Keeps your fingers clean. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou