Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What ever happened to station wagons?

family_truckster.jpg
Wagon Queen Family Truckster! Epic.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of station wagons... where in the world is Tom? I would have thought he would be all over this in a heartbeat.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I wish the full-size 8- or 9-passenger rear-drive wagon would make a comeback. With three kids in modern car seats, that's the only way my wife will ever give up her 2003 Yukon XL. She was on the verge of buying a Dodge Magnum, but when the third came along we realized it would be too tight.

We test-drove an '89 Caprice wagon about a year ago and loved it (give me a low center of gravity over a "good view of the road" any day), but like most it had lived a hard life and showed it. And don't even whisper the words "demolition derby" around me. :mad:

For a family car, I think a '57 Chevrolet four-door wagon would be ideal: Upgradeable to out accelerate, out stop, and out handle 90+% of modern cars, readily available replacement parts, and great styling. The only possible objection, aside from cost, is lack of airbags six way to Sunday. But then, if that's your mindset you should probably we wearing a padded suit and helmet as you walk down the street instead of your three-piece and fedora.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
How about something like this?
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/plymouth/suburban/940311.html

I'd do without airbags to drive around in that car.

An older classic vehicle might be something to consider. Four door station wagons have never been a hot property in the collector world unless they were a 20-30's coach built car. And depending on the model and condition you should be able to find one in your price range.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Yes, we used to have a Volvo V70 - aka the Bucket because you could literally throw everything in her. I think she finally got tired of being used as an off-roader and just used to periodically not start, or the engine to cut out if you idled - which was none fun sat in a traffic jam on an industrial estate.
We are sad enough to have photos of her just before we traded her in for a Citroen Berlingo, apparently what the 2CV morphed into as regards space for benches and goats in the back.

What made us laugh (a lot) was attending a vintage vehicle rally a couple of weeks back at which there were cars exhibited younger than the Bucket. (Same vintage as yours Tom, 1988 - F registration plate in the UK) We could have taken the old date full of re-enactment kit, unloaded her on the showground, put her in the exhibition, walked off to do our Viking thing. Would've saved shoe leather!

She has apparently gone to be fixed up, and I really, really hope they mend her and sell her to some young lady - or gentleman - with the time and love to spend on keeping her maintained.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
An interesting difference between a British shooting brake and an American station wagon was where the wood paneling started. On a shooting brake the wood started behind the driver's seat, in other words with the back door. On a station wagon the front door was also paneled. The idea of the shooting brake was that you had a cage back there for the dogs. (And I guess the guns.) And of course the ONLY marque for a shooting brake was Rolls Royce.
You could quite often find really early Rolls Royce Shooting brakes for sale in the British magazine 'Motorsport' back in the 60s. Quite a few though were re-bodied, as were also hearse models.

I'm with you, there. There was an Olds Custom Cruiser wagon in the demos at the last one I went to and I just about throttled the guy!

I buy and sell a lot of full-size cars and I can't tell you how many times I've had people call to buy them as demo cars. I just hang up the phone. I have no time to be polite to those animals.

And don't even whisper the words "demolition derby" around me. :mad:

Just a little late is all! :p

Speaking of station wagons... where in the world is Tom? I would have thought he would be all over this in a heartbeat.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
An interesting difference between a British shooting brake and an American station wagon was where the wood paneling started. On a shooting brake the wood started behind the driver's seat, in other words with the back door. On a station wagon the front door was also paneled. The idea of the shooting brake was that you had a cage back there for the dogs. (And I guess the guns.) And of course the ONLY marque for a shooting brake was Rolls Royce.

depositphotos_11540595-1937-Daimler-Shooting-Brake.jpg

So what's Daimler, chopped liver?

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
May I suggest the Mazda 5?

Its a mini-mini-van. Not as huge and imposing as a standard mini-van, slightly bigger than a station wagon. It seats 6 in a 2-2-2 pattern, however, with the back seats in use you will have pretty much 0 cargo space. You do have the option of only using one of the back seats and using the extra space for groceries etc but its not going to serve well if you plan on going on a road trip. It handles like a small car as it is built on the Mazda 3 chasis and gives you the convenience of a mini-van with the sliding passenger doors in the back. Yuo can check out the edmunds review http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazda5/ or go to the mazda site for additional details.

Justin B

One Too Many
Cadillac still makes wagons too. The CTS with a V6 and the CTS-V with a 556hp supercharged V8.

Honestly though, why would you want a new one? I'd love to have an old Vista Cruiser or early Mopar wagon to toss the dog in and go for a roadtrip.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Cadillac still makes wagons too. The CTS with a V6 and the CTS-V with a 556hp supercharged V8.

Honestly though, why would you want a new one? I'd love to have an old Vista Cruiser or early Mopar wagon to toss the dog in and go for a roadtrip.

When Top Gear tested the CTS-V wagon, it went faster around their track than the coupe. The prevailing hypothesis was better weight distribution.

You know, the 1988-91 Ford Country Squires, and Mercury Colony Parks, as well as the 1991-1996 Chevy Caprices, Buick Roadmasters, and Oldsmobile Custom Cruisers are all very good choices for someone looking for a wagon, but still want the modern conveniences.

All of these cars offer fuel-injection, as did many of the Squires and Colony Parks prior to '88. They were typically higher-end cars, and toward the final production years, very commonly purchased by older couples, thus very well maintained, typically. Being a higher-end car, they have power seats, windows, CD players, and all the options a 'loaded' car of the era had, more often than not. I know many people with cars newer and therefore 'better' than mine that have far more issues than I do. *knock wood, so I don't jinx myself* Not to mention, when they do fail, they're much easier to work on than their modern counterparts.

The GM 'bubble wagons' after 1994, if memory serves me, all came with the LT1, which is the same engine they put in Corvettes and Camaros, just a little detuned and with cast heads, instead of aluminum. They are very powerful, and at about 25 mpg on the highway, much better than you'd expect from a car that's a bit of a behemoth by today's standards.

I would recommend these to anybody. Save the whales, buy a station wagon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner