Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What exactly have I got here?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I just bought this mint condition Class A army uniform tunic,

classAuniform1.jpg

but it's got this plain back as pictured.

Is it pre- WW2 vintage? All of the OD Elastique fabric tunics I've seen or had in my posession from WW2 have the pleated bi-swing type back.

classAuniform.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
No date, but it is Elastique.

Opus122.jpg

Here's a closeup of the fabric, typical Elastique. Just has a black label on the right inside pocket that says, "Regulation Army Oficer's Uniform", and it's fully lined.
My 1944 copy of The Officer's Guide isn't specific about this detail.
Bailey's Outfitters 1940 catalog states that their products are - "The new regulation service blouse, made to conform to latest revised specifications. The back has two side plaits from the shoulder seam to the waist line and the lower pockets are bellows style hung inside the body of the skirt."

Could be Korean War I think now. [huh]

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Bless you, BT. There is a label!

Says the following:

Coat, Man's, Wool
Elastique, 18 - Oz.
Olive Drab Shade 51
Size 43 - L
Stock No. 8405 - 163 - 6436
Job No: 1090 DTD 10/ 7/ 55
Spec No. Mil - C - 1757 - A
Pattern Date: 4 April 1944
Phila QM Depot​

So it was definately made post - war, but apparently made after a 1944 war time pattern. And therefore, maybe it could pass for WW2 tunic?
P.S. The OD is a tad darker than my known examples.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I have a similar tunic w/ the same patch, same color lining.
No spec tag tho, just the brand. I think it was HAMILTON, Cincinatti.
The belt did not feed thru loops, it was sewn in place.
Mine is definitely 'chocolate' elastique.

Wasnt this style used well into the Korean War?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yes Mr. Bern

And apparently well after that as the tag on mine states that the job # is dated 10/7/55. The front looks to be identical to WW2 tunics but the back is differant. Would be ideal for M.A.S.H. re-enactments though. I think I'll take this one to Angelo the tailor when he's finished with my other tunic. :) The patch is for 4th Army, by the way.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
And what would Angelo the tailor do to it?

Yes, I do recall the episodes in MASH in which they'd go off to Seoul to talk to higher ups. I really like the chocolate tunics. I have an early war chocolate tunic w/ the biswing back & the hooks for the leather belt. I liek it better, but its hard to pass up these postwar models when theyre in such good condition.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Angelo,

just needs a good cleaning for one thing, and to be let out a bit as it is a 43 and I wear a 44. Maybe shorten the sleeves a bit also as it is a long, no major surgery, thankfully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic