Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Federation for Khaki Trench?

Rider

Familiar Face
I recently got a khaki trench from Jos A Banks. The coat is khaki with a camel colored collar (how's that for alliteration?)

I don't have a brown-tone Federation. Those of you who do, would you think a Deluxe in dark brown or heritage fawn or a regular tawny fawn would work better?

Colors on Hats Direct's website are deceiving. I'm thinking tawny fawn might look better? What is your opinion?

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Rider said:
I recently got a khaki trench from Jos A Banks. The coat is khaki with a camel colored collar (how's that for alliteration?)

I don't have a brown-tone Federation. Those of you who do, would you think a Deluxe in dark brown or heritage fawn or a regular tawny fawn would work better?

Colors on Hats Direct's website are deceiving. I'm thinking tawny fawn might look better? What is your opinion?
Is this the coat?

7821e.jpg
TFFedIV1.jpg

Here's a pic of me in my tawny fawn Fed IV. Holding the actual hat up to the picture on the screen it looks like it would go well. I also have a deep brown Akubra David Morgan Adventurer and it goes great. I suspect the heritage fawn would work well too, and black would certainly work.

I'd go with either heritage or tawny fawn.

dostacos

Practically Family
JohnnyB53 said:
Is this the coat?

7821e.jpg
TFFedIV1.jpg

Here's a pic of me in my tawny fawn Fed IV. Holding the actual hat up to the picture on the screen it looks like it would go well. I also have a deep brown Akubra David Morgan Adventurer and it goes great. I suspect the heritage fawn would work well too, and black would certainly work.

I'd go with either heritage or tawny fawn.
how about matching what is under the coat? ah, there is a suit under the coat correct?:D

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
My inclination would be one of the Fawns (Deluxe or standard), because I find the brown Federations look more rugged, while the fawn ones look a bit classier.

However, some people don't like to match too closely. If you're afraid of being monochromatic, then I would say the Deluxe in Brown. But I think JohnnyB53's pic above speaks for itself.

Edward

Bartender
I agree with the above statement to the effect that the khaki, being a fairly neutal shade, will match pretty much anything. When dressing with my Burberry, I do as dostacos suggests and match the hat to the suit. I've worn most of my hats with it at one time and another, though shape-wise you can't beat the look of a Federation with it. Both my dark brown MkIII deluxe and regular Mk III in carbon grey look superb with it. FWIW, I've also had great results pairing it with a homberg (especially one with a fedora-style bash on the crown). An especially sharp look, IMO, would be a blue pinstripe suit with a khaki trench and light grey / silver (in Akubra terms, moonstone) fedora with a high crown and wide brim.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
An especially sharp look, IMO, would be a blue pinstripe suit with a khaki trench and light grey / silver (in Akubra terms, moonstone) fedora with a high crown and wide brim.
Yes, the moonstone does work well with khaki and of course with blue. The tawny fawn Federation is a gorgeous color that reminds me of a camel hair blazer. The fawn looks great with dark blue, like the pants you would wear with such a blazer.

My trenchcoat is darker and brown khaki-er, and both the moonstone and tawny fawn go well with it.

The David Morgan Adventurer brings something different to the party--it's a gorgeous near-black dark brown and a little lower in the crown and a little broader in the brim. It adds an air of mystery--evocative of what Sam Spade would wear on a foggy night.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Rider,
When I read your question, I was all set to suggest the Tawny Fawn Federation, but after reading Edwards excellent reply I'd say he's covered every possibility. Unless of course your clothing under is khaki! :D

Edward, that was one well thought out reply. It shows how much there is to learn about style. Kudos sir!:eusa_clap

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Here's the coat again next to my moonstone Fed IV Deluxe in daylight, so the color balance should be closer to the picture of the coat:

7821e.jpg
JohninFedIVDlxLB-2DS.jpg

Rider

Familiar Face
Yes, that is the exact coat. I presently have a carbon gray Fed III that I wear with suits or a black top coat. I don't have anything in the brown spectrum, and was wishing to pick up something brown. I have serveral brown sportcoats and some brown slacks that I'd like to match a hat up with.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I guess something is wrong with my PC, as I've not seen the coat, but just very nice hats! I too just bought a trenchcoat, from the Mes's Warehouse, in khaki, and I love it. It has the 'classic styling' most of us like, is double bresated, and I guess you would call it the 'military stayle, epalauts, belted, large collor, and wrist/cuff belts, etc., and it fits! That is important, as I wear a size 50 suit, and its hard to find a coat, vintage or otherwise anywhere for my frame (chest/belly). I am going to London UK next week for two weeks to work. I am required to wear a suit at work, and it is wet and rainy I am told, so hence the trenchcoat, which I have wanted/drooled over for years!

My question is..I have two nice fedoras, both Biltmores, one Dark Oak, the otrher black. I was going to wear the black, but now am leaning towards the Dark brown. Most of my pants will be either khaki, or khaki/green tone, a couple black. I will be wearing a medium tan/khaki wool/silk jacket, and brown shoes. Brown or black fedora? I really respect the opionions of my counter parts her in the FL, so feel free to coment. Thanks in advance.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess something is wrong with my PC, as I've not seen the coat, but just very nice hats! I too just bought a trenchcoat, from the Mes's Warehouse, in khaki, and I love it. It has the 'classic styling' most of us like, is double bresated, and I guess you would call it the 'military stayle, epalauts, belted, large collor, and wrist/cuff belts, etc., and it fits! That is important, as I wear a size 50 suit, and its hard to find a coat, vintage or otherwise anywhere for my frame (chest/belly). I am going to London UK next week for two weeks to work. I am required to wear a suit at work, and it is wet and rainy I am told, so hence the trenchcoat, which I have wanted/drooled over for years!

My question is..I have two nice fedoras, both Biltmores, one Dark Oak, the otrher black. I was going to wear the black, but now am leaning towards the Dark brown. Most of my pants will be either khaki, or khaki/green tone, a couple black. I will be wearing a medium tan/khaki wool/silk jacket, and brown shoes. Brown or black fedora? I really respect the opionions of my counter parts her in the FL, so feel free to coment. Thanks in advance.

Dark brown, no question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany