What gives you that vintage feeling?

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by Weston, Aug 20, 2012.

1. I grew up in a blue haze of cigarette smoke and had the childhood bronchitis to prove it. The 60% of adults who smoked back then (mid-50's -late '60's) were over represented in my home town. My grandmothers were the only adults I knew who didn't. Never found out what their vices were but their penances were my grandfathers.

I enjoyed a pack a day until my insurance agent killed that habit in 1987. Still sympathetic to smokers.

2. St. Louis

St. Louis Practically Family

So this is off the smoking topic, but I thought of a few more. This thread has been making me aware of how much vintage stuff appears in my daily life.

Hanging my vintage bathrobe on the same wire hook on the back of my bedroom door that has been used for bathrobes since 1929.

Reading vintage women's magazines on my 1930s couch and actually finding the styles cute, modern, and wearable. Of course I wish I could still find them at the local Sears.

Answering my 1930s monopohone (no caller ID of course) and being surprised at who's on the other line.

Sitting on my old wicker furniture on my front porch and waving at my neighbors.

Writing a letter to my Fedora Lounge pen pal in Canada, on nice stationery and with a real fountain pen. Then waiting for her to answer ...

I know there's nothing too cataclysmic about any of this, but it's just my normal life and I wouldn't have thought twice about any of these little incidents until I started reading the posts on this thread.

3. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

Today it was my "vintage" dinner accompanied by Bing Crosby on my vintage radiogram from 50's. :D

4. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

5. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

Same here [huh]

6. DameWhoDrinks

DameWhoDrinks Familiar Face

I have an old sixties carpet bag with a clasp, not a zipper. I love opening and closing it! Also, tins. Hand cream, aspirin, what have you..something about them just scream tins. I also love old tattered pulpy paperbacks. And Headscarves over a vintage hairstyle on a windy day.

7. Cricket

Cricket Practically Family

Great thread!!

Wearing my vintage apron while I make a dish from a vintage cookbook and pausing for a moment to yell out the kitchen door for the hubby and kids to come inside for dinner.

relaxing in the evening with no television, hopefully open windows, reading a vintage magazine. Love the ads, stories and smell, all being glowed by my vintage lamp

Although it scares my children, walking around the house during the evening hours after I have set my hair. Complete with pin curls, scarf and pajamas, chasing kids

Writing personal letters

Shopping in local department stores that have been around for decades, they even smell the same.

Taking Sunday drives with the family with old time music playing.

And I love, love, love....those Saturday nights with my husband in the recliner beside me, our children playing on the floor in front of us as we watch the DVD collection of The Honeymooners. That is my favorite.

8. CSG

CSG Familiar Face

I get the vintage feeling by having a lot of vintage furniture, collectibles, books, etc. I like to listen to old time radio and do it through a 1936 Zenith 6-S-128. I drink my coffee out of old Victor Insulator mugs. But I don't dress vintage or give up certain modern comforts. I guess I'm a man stuck between times.

9. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

Early morning drives with my 1946 truck .
    [​IMG]

Driving down the country backroads where I live.
    [​IMG]

To the sounds of the Tommy Dorsey Band.
    [​IMG]

Stopping by the small towns (no malls) & cruising on my 1920s bicycle.

[​IMG]

"It don't get much better than this for me"...:cool:

10. CSG

CSG Familiar Face

OK, you win! ;)

11. countryclubjoe

countryclubjoe Banned

Hi All

Relaxing in my old bath tub, you know the tubs with the big claw feet. Then slapping on some old spice cologne.

Best regards

CCJ

12. fashion frank

fashion frank One Too Many

I can relate to that when I listen to www.the1920snetwork.com/ it takes you right back there .

They always announce the time on the hour and half with the "ding,ding,dong" and a womans voice comes on the air and states "the time is " six p.m. eastern stardard time" or " the time is 29 minutes past the hour".

Sometimes the commericals are from the period and on Saturday and Sunday evenings from 9p.m. to midnight they have all the shows from the time like Jack Benny ,Gracie and Kelly etc. etc. etc.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

13. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

I was doing a report at an old school which had a classroom similar to this :
    [​IMG]
    Everything looked so small at first. But when I leaned down to tie my shoe laces , I looked up , the wooden
    desks, the chalkboard, even the aroma of the pencil sharpener …...I was 8 years old again ! ;)

14. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]

Happy Thanksgiving !

15. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM New in Town

Listening to Swing Music by the fireplace.

16. kf4rws

kf4rws New in Town

Little things like listening to era music, shaving with an old soap brush and razor, or slapping my fedora on as I go out of the door.

17. magnolia76

magnolia76 One of the Regulars

The wallpaper in my grandmother's house! The vintage energy hits you like a wall when you enter her home.

18. olive bleu

olive bleu One Too Many

yes!!! I bought an e-reader last summer.. HATE. IT. regifting to my sister for her Birthday next month.

19. Dixon Cannon

Dixon Cannon My Mail is Forwarded Here

Drinking my coffee each morning from my vintage (thick porcelain) diner mug. I love the feel of it and the look of it. It's just plain old fashioned! -dixon cannon

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  20. olive bleu

olive bleu One Too Many

Sheets flapping on a Clothesline.....