Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What goes good with Chocolate?

C

csmiller

Hi all,

Just got a mint Class 'A' OD Dark (AKA Chocolate - bet you were wondering where that title was leading :D ) from the 'big auction site'. It had some white spots on it so I had it dry cleaned - that was it for imperfections. I can't even see where it ever had any insignia, rank or patches. Not sure it was ever worn. Fits me perfectly - just like it was made for me. :)

Now to the question. What color combinations looked best with it (or historically what combinations were worn) with regards to shirts, pants, ties and caps? It seems as most of the colors (OD, OD Dark, Khaki, "pinks") seem to play well together but I'm sure some were just better. Thanks for any input.

Gene

Practically Family
The "pinks and greens" Class A uniform was just about the most attractive uniform the Army has ever had. Chocolate tunic, "pinks" trousers, dark OD shirt, pink tie. OR you can try pinks trousers, pink shirt and a dark OD or khaki tie like in the photo. Ignore the black shoes in the photo, they were brown.

Best combo in history!

898_9872.JPG-for-web-large.jpg

Gene

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It's a matter of one's own personal taste I think. Personally, I prefer the all chocolate look. That is, matching dark OD tunic and trousers with a chocolate tie and contrasting light OD shirt. Many officers had their uniforms tailor made with 2 pairs of trousers, just like a civilian suit. But as the war dragged on they would oftentimes have to replace the trousers as they were prone to wear out sooner than the tunics. Since an exact match of color and fabric was often virtually impossible, the light OD pinks were also allowed as part of the uniform.

Gene

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
It's a matter of one's own personal taste I think. Personally, I prefer the all chocolate look. That is, matching dark OD tunic and trousers with a chocolate tie and contrasting light OD shirt.

A guy I know has an all-pinks uniform...that is pink garrison cap, tailored Ike, tie, shirt, and pants. The light OD garrison caps and Ike jackets were not regulation but some AAF officers wore them anyway...I've also seen a custom pink crush cap.

Gene

C

csmiller

What goes good with Chocolate

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input - and thanks MrBean for all the links. It took a while to look over them (and will take more time to absorb the info). Gene - I agree with you, I like the Chocolate/Pinks looks. Well, I have the Chocolate tunic and a nice pair of Pinks trousers (that need hemming). Guess I need to look for a Chocolate shirt, Pinks tie and Chocolate Crusher. I have a feeling that the Crusher is going to be tough (need 7 1/4). I have a Chocolate Garrison cap that was suppose to be 7 1/4 (that is what it was marked) but it is too small. Maybe more like a size 7.:(

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
how much chocolate...

Maj.Nick Danger said:
It's a matter of one's own personal taste I think. Personally, I prefer the all chocolate look. That is, matching dark OD tunic and trousers with a chocolate tie and contrasting light OD shirt. Many officers had their uniforms tailor made with 2 pairs of trousers, just like a civilian suit. But as the war dragged on they would oftentimes have to replace the trousers as they were prone to wear out sooner than the tunics. Since an exact match of color and fabric was often virtually impossible, the light OD pinks were also allowed as part of the uniform.

In Band of Brothers, Dick Winters is depicted wearing Chocolate tunic , trousers And shirt, with pink tie.
Looks good on screen as well as in the historic pix. Tho there are soem pix of him wearing the drab shirt with the drab tie & the chocolate tunic, so he did vary his uniform.
http://www.heroesforever.nl/Richard%20D.%20Winters.htm

banish

New in Town
Light Blue definitely does look godo as well without a doubt, i didn;t think it would but was shocked that it did :)

Thanks for the info guys :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy