Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

That could be something special, Bob. There were some nice straw hats out of the Philippines, and that looks like a nice "traveler" roll-up hat with the carry "case."

That was my first though too Doug (again ... not thinking clearly), but I can find little if anything on Philippine woven hats (although it might have only been sold in the Philippines and made elsewhere).

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
That was my first though too Doug (again ... not thinking clearly), but I can find little if anything on Philippine woven hats (although it might have only been sold in the Philippines and made elsewhere).
I was thinking that, too, that it may have been made elsewhere. Could have been one of those Mikado straw hats the Japanese had that was sold in Manila before the war, or something like that. Your find doesn't look like the raffia hats I've seen; much finer. Maybe you'll know more when you get it in hand.

Most likely... look forward to photos when it arrives. Some additional reading here.

Thanks for the link Alan! I'll have to read through that this evening (headed out to breakfast with the girls).

Thanks for the detective work Doug! Looks very similar and is from the same store (or what that store evolved into).

@BobHufford Bob , do you think it might be a straw (cape) Hat body ? Someone may have added the ribbon . I imagine if its a parabuntal Esther would be able to tell . She had one left she was saving for something special . That would be a score , still a nice piece of history either way .

The ribbon appears to be an afterthought. It also has "stampede strings" -- although I'm sure there is a better word for it with this style hat (I have not had enough coffee to find that word in my memory). I agree that it is cool even if it has no value.

36231525435_b3d6995d97_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn