Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Tonio

A-List Customer
On a western kick lately. 1930s Stetson No.1 Quality heading this way.

image.jpeg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I like a guy who isn’t afraid of some color! That looks spectacular! We’re all excited to see this hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I'm half Mexican and live in Mexico, Brent. Color is in my DNA and all around me. Besides, I ran out of Optimo felt color choices. :)

I did draw the line at the Optimo Orchid felt though. Look at the first picture. Waaay too much, even for me.

The second and third pics are of Bugambilia flowers in one of the golf clubs near my home. My uncle Beryl was from Wisconsin. He visited once, and was astonished by the many different colors and the quantity of Bugambilias over the mountains to the north of Mexico City.
c7d5738787242f22b2152e5deb7e82f1.jpg
2034956a8c0178d83c6b16271dbc33a2.jpg
d06a71f874494fcba53025dc6640b5cf.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Well, I'm half Mexican and live in Mexico, Brent. Color is in my DNA and all around me. Besides, I ran out of Optimo felt color choices. :)

I did draw the line at the Optimo Orchid felt though. Look at the first picture. Waaay too much, even for me.

The second and third pics are of Bugambilia flowers in one of the golf clubs near my home. My uncle Beryl was from Wisconsin. He visited once, and was astonished by the many different colors and the quantity of Bugambilias over the mountains to the north of Mexico City.
c7d5738787242f22b2152e5deb7e82f1.jpg
2034956a8c0178d83c6b16271dbc33a2.jpg
d06a71f874494fcba53025dc6640b5cf.jpg

Optimo is known for special color runs not available elsewhere so if you ran out of colors at Optimo that’s really saying something.

Apparently I have an inaccurate mental image of Mexico City. I’ll have to visit sometime.

There’s lots of other custom hatters out there...any thought at giving one of them a try? VS, Gannon, and Northwest are among the darlings of the Lounge. I like them all, and others to boot, but the short wait and top quality of Gannon is hard to resist if long waits aren't your thing. My last Northwest was ordered in January and I hope to get it next week. Gannon told me a couple months ago that his queue was practically nonexistent. Michael Gannon is a joy to work with and makes some splendid hats with outstanding attention to detail; albeit in more traditional/limited colors. If you visit Gannon’s website don’t think his relatively low prices mean the quality isn’t there.

I’ve ordered several custom hats from Agnoulita in Greece lately, but if you’re accustomed to Optimo you will not be impressed; however, they have a huge variety of felt colors and finishes.

Forgive me, it’s always fun to spend other people’s money. Your contributions are definitely appreciated here.

Brent

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Optimo is known for special color runs not available elsewhere so if you ran out of colors at Optimo that’s really saying something.

Apparently I have an inaccurate mental image of Mexico City. I’ll have to visit sometime.

There’s lots of other custom hatters out there...any thought at giving one of them a try? VS, Gannon, and Northwest are among the darlings of the Lounge. I like them all, and others to boot, but the short wait and top quality of Gannon is hard to resist if long waits aren't your thing. My last Northwest was ordered in January and I hope to get it next week. Gannon told me a couple months ago that his queue was practically nonexistent. Michael Gannon is a joy to work with and makes some splendid hats with outstanding attention to detail; albeit in more traditional/limited colors. If you visit Gannon’s website don’t think his relatively low prices mean the quality isn’t there.

I’ve ordered several custom hats from Agnoulita in Greece lately, but if you’re accustomed to Optimo you will not be impressed; however, they have a huge variety of felt colors and finishes.

Forgive me, it’s always fun to spend other people’s money. Your contributions are definitely appreciated here.

Brent
Oh, I meant I ran out of colors and textures I like.
The Optimo 1000 colors I don't have are the Limited Edition Brown, that is only available for the Frank Lloyd Wright Limited Edition Hat, which I don't really like, and the Orchid, which I dislike.
In Classic Weight I wanted the Crimson, but they ran out of it, and the Bison, Midnight, Dark Shadow, and Black are really very similar to the ones I already have. I think I still might order the Homburg in black, though, once they send me my Panama.

I dislike the Melusine and Flecked textures, and the only double weight felts colors they have are black and brown, and would be too warm for Mexico City.

I called Art Fawcett about a Silverbelly a couple of months ago. He is an extremely courteous, honest, and likeable gentleman. I like tapered and medium height crowns, though, like Optimos and Borsalinos, and he told me his equipment and blocks are mostly for straight and taller crowns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider