Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Premier Stratoliner. One of Moon's that got away.
81da862ebb8c695b33592897fd4b1e20.jpg
73939113a64ff8399d03e69c831f01b1.jpg
1b79cf137edc5b0460051e5f2b6ec7cc.jpg
fba3bbc91f4b563151312e902e036ae0.jpg
2a9817b1fa94b75aa9615d6a1261eae2.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
Hello all,
I am just an amateur hat collector with some nice vintage fur felts and straws; mainly Stetson and Borsalino, but also many other famous brands. (styles = Fedora, Trilby, Pork-Pie, Homburg, Bowler, top-hat)
Until now my only "hat tools" were some styrofoam-heads (size 7/18, 57cm, my hat size!), a simple hat-stretcher and some hat-brushes.
I usually just work with steam to restore shape or re-shape crowns and creases by hand; while the hat is resting on a styrofoam head. Most of the time I am satisfied with the results.
Some hats however, have noticable wrinkles and crease-marks in the felt.
In order to get them clean and back into shape (sort of reblock), I just ordered these two hat blocks from HatBlocksPoland on Etsy.
I am not so ambitious to make the effort of dismantling the hat from sweatband and ribbon; so I bought the blocks in my head size, 7 1/8 or 57cm (hopefully most of my hats will fit over them snuggly with the sweatband remaining inside).
My idea is to restore the open-crown shape, clean and flatten the felt, before I re-shape again by hand. For this task I chose following hat block.

wg-1528-hat-block-crown-jpg.132068

IMO: single dents, tear drops, diamond shapes, etc. are easily done by hand.
I have also hand-shaped Pork-Pies with fairly good results, but any unevenness is very obvious with this style. So in addtion I bought this unique looking fascinator block; with a long oval shape and slightly sloping curves, front and back.

wf-13623a-block-fascinator-jpg.132069

Delivery will take atleast 3 weeks. I hope the sizing is correct.
Any further thoughts from the experts?
best regards
Georg

Hello all,
I am just an amateur hat collector with some nice vintage fur felts and straws; mainly Stetson and Borsalino, but also many other famous brands. (styles = Fedora, Trilby, Pork-Pie, Homburg, Bowler, top-hat)
Until now my only "hat tools" were some styrofoam-heads (size 7/18, 57cm, my hat size!), a simple hat-stretcher and some hat-brushes.
I usually just work with steam to restore shape or re-shape crowns and creases by hand; while the hat is resting on a styrofoam head. Most of the time I am satisfied with the results.
Some hats however, have noticable wrinkles and crease-marks in the felt.
In order to get them clean and back into shape (sort of reblock), I just ordered these two hat blocks from HatBlocksPoland on Etsy.
I am not so ambitious to make the effort of dismantling the hat from sweatband and ribbon; so I bought the blocks in my head size, 7 1/8 or 57cm (hopefully most of my hats will fit over them snuggly with the sweatband remaining inside).
My idea is to restore the open-crown shape, clean and flatten the felt, before I re-shape again by hand. For this task I chose following hat block.

wg-1528-hat-block-crown-jpg.132068

IMO: single dents, tear drops, diamond shapes, etc. are easily done by hand.
I have also hand-shaped Pork-Pies with fairly good results, but any unevenness is very obvious with this style. So in addtion I bought this unique looking fascinator block; with a long oval shape and slightly sloping curves, front and back.

wf-13623a-block-fascinator-jpg.132069

Delivery will take atleast 3 weeks. I hope the sizing is correct.
Any further thoughts from the experts?
best regards
Georg

I'm not certain the measurements of the blocks you ordered; however, normally, blocks are made to shape and size fur felt hoods prior to the installation of the sweatband. Therefore, a 7 1/8 block would effectively measure out at 7 1/4. Installing the sweatband takes it down a size for the correct fit. So, don't be surprised if your block is too large to fit your hats with the sweatband in.

As for method, the block is a great idea, and I use them myself to work on hats. A good steam iron, some elbow grease, and some brushing will bring the hats back to open crown and reduce the ghost creases.

If you stretch the felt over the block, though, you can change the block profile of your hat. For this reason, I normally work mine over a smaller block, say a size 7 (I'm a 7 1/4). That way, you can move the hat crown around on the block, ironing it out without making it take the shape of the block.

Good lick, welcome to the Lounge, and let's see some pictures of your hats!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I'm not certain the measurements of the blocks you ordered; however, normally, blocks are made to shape and size fur felt hoods prior to the installation of the sweatband. Therefore, a 7 1/8 block would effectively measure out at 7 1/4. Installing the sweatband takes it down a size for the correct fit. So, don't be surprised if your block is too large to fit your hats with the sweatband in.

As for method, the block is a great idea, and I use them myself to work on hats. A good steam iron, some elbow grease, and some brushing will bring the hats back to open crown and reduce the ghost creases.

If you stretch the felt over the block, though, you can change the block profile of your hat. For this reason, I normally work mine over a smaller block, say a size 7 (I'm a 7 1/4). That way, you can move the hat crown around on the block, ironing it out without making it take the shape of the block.

Good lick, welcome to the Lounge, and let's see some pictures of your hats!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Thanks, Jim.
I don't have a hat block, so when I brought my Moonhaul in from Texas I packed the crowns with a stuffed toy to keep them stretched while I steam-ironed them.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner