Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I was mistaken...……..the Akubra arrived today. Out of the box, not all that true to size but I remember my other Akubras were the same. After adding the size spacer, it's OK. Color was spot on for my choice. Shaping begins, working on the crown now. Advice....I've shaped the crown the way I prefer it to be, now, do I steam it to keep that shape? The same for the brim?

I never mess with felt unless it's moist.

Iow, use steam, or a spray bottle if you can wait for the hat to dry (when I used water I shaped my hats at night so they'd be dry and ready to wear in the morning).

Moisture makes the process so much easier, and the results are more permanent than dry creasing. Just the thought of that gives me the willies!

31 Model A

A-List Customer

Iow, use steam, or a spray bottle if you can wait for the hat to dry (when I used water I shaped my hats at night so they'd be dry and ready to wear in the morning).

Moisture makes the process so much easier, and the results are more permanent than dry creasing. Just the thought of that gives me the willies!

Thank you!!!

RJR

First day back at work from vacation.
My fourth Playboy. It is Canadian, eh?
24f65276a5817e45fd4c7b021a491d1d.jpg
0fc0bbb2102497efb6b64cc4f72a23ab.jpg
93028b6ca5b04133d7b418093deb6ea3.jpg
cd363749f0905e4c9ab6a677dd578ba8.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Nice!

31 Model A

A-List Customer

I have followed your method, it's set now and will dry overnight.

Cheers...…….

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Apparently I am waiting for this to arrive, though I have no recollection of seeing it or bidding on it (opening bid, only bidder)... and it‘s not really my style (I’m a thin ribbon guy thus far.)
If it wasn’t my size, I would be sure that I had been hacked.

View attachment 134472
whatever it is, it looks like an awesome piece! head shots are needed

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Apparently I am waiting for this to arrive, though I have no recollection of seeing it or bidding on it (opening bid, only bidder)... and it‘s not really my style (I’m a thin ribbon guy thus far.)

View attachment 134472
Ha ha. I’ve done the same...more than once. But never on such a super cool looking hat as this!!
Really nice contrasting ribbon and a wide brim. Looks like a felted edge too. Very nice. What is it?
Bowen

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 134472

What size is it, Huggy Bear? Maybe I'll take it off your hands. ;)

31 Model A

A-List Customer
The Akubra came out OK but to be honest, it will not be sitting in 1st place. I prefer my Stetson Chatham so far. Pictures to follow.

I have ordered the Stetson Bellevue.

Looking FWD getting my new Newsboy from Irina today or tomorrow. After her Shelby and the Stetson Bellevue arrive, that's it on hats and caps.... "so help me God". :D

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pre-creased hats, especially those with some stiffening agent added to the felt, can give problems when dry creasing as @scottyrocks posted above. I have a 5X Stetson western and the brim took a ton of steam before I could even think of moving it.

On most other vintage and custom hats, though, I dry crease just to get an idea of what I want then add steam later to help define the crease more and hold it in place.

Telemaster

One of the Regulars
Ha ha. I’ve done the same...more than once. But never on such a super cool looking hat as this!!
Really nice contrasting ribbon and a wide brim. Looks like a felted edge too. Very nice. What is it?
Bowen

The short answer is... I don‘t know. It‘s a Borsalino, and has a leather sweat. The seller referred to it as wool I’m seeing, but I find that a lot of German sellers list fur-felt hats mistakenly as wool. Here’s the only other pic.
4E7D90B8-839C-4C2C-AA18-6ACB347E511C.jpeg

Telemaster

One of the Regulars
Great mistake! If it turns out to be a 61-62 let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man... right after I previously quoted your message I went on EBay classified over here and saw a new listing for a “Stetson 10x Silverbelly size 61” (translated from German). Asking price 50€ VB ( VB is German for make me an offer)... In pic one... oh dang it looks like a gorgeous OR. I was thinking that I know someone who might need this... Sadly, in pic 2 I see the 6 3/4 tag.

Oh man... right after I previously quoted your message I went on EBay classified over here and saw a new listing for a “Stetson 10x Silverbelly size 61” (translated from German). Asking price 50€ VB ( VB is German for make me an offer)... In pic one... oh dang it looks like a gorgeous OR. I was thinking that I know someone who might need this... Sadly, in pic 2 I see the 6 3/4 tag.

A common occurrence with me. A good portion of the hats listed in my size turn out to be something smaller. Thanks for thinking of me anyway!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24