Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the welcome! I'm sure you could find a Missouri conservation stetson, but what you need is a Royal Canadian Mounted Police Stetson from here in BC! Although it seems pretty pricey.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/clt/d/surrey-rcmp-stetson-mountie-hat/6909232275.html
Ah! Canadian, eh?

I arrived to my postgrad in Chicago Medical Center the day after the two Canadians who had just graduated from the program left.

They were both well-liked, but the members of the program who hadn't graduated yet always referred to them as "the f!&/~"@" Canadians."

Part of our duties during the four-year program was periodically updating the Literature Review papers on various subjects written by the Canadians, so that the phrase "Updated From a Paper Written By" followed by either of the Canadian's names became very familiar to all of us.

After 37 years, every time I hear the word "Canadian", my brain puts the "f!&/~"@" before it. [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
It looks like the hatband is in the box in one of the photos. $350 canadian is like $250 USD and I bet it could be had for about $250 or $275 want me to email him? haha
Thanks but no. Good to know though.
Welcome to the lounge also.
Whenever i hear Canada....i think Viet Nam. Not as colorful as Max’s. Lol
But it wasn’t a very colorful time.
B

nvilletele

One of the Regulars
God knows I don't need another Panama, but I decided to throw the switch and order this somewhat rare Biltmore, which only appeared in their 2014 Spring Summer catalog so far as I can tell. This one is called Palermo. Haven't seen this one at any other online vendor besides Holland Hats. This was the only picture (other than the one in the catalog) so not sure how it will fully look in person, but looked good enough to order it. Free shipping and no tax, and the standard $15 Holland Hats discount code, made it easier to reel this one in. With 3 1/4" brim, it will provide lots of shade, and with the vents should stay reasonably cool. And I think the thin leather hatband looks really cool, in the other sense of the word.

Palermo.jpg

Ah! Canadian, eh?

I arrived to my postgrad in Chicago Medical Center the day after the two Canadians who had just graduated from the program left.

They were both well-liked, but the members of the program who hadn't graduated yet always referred to them as "the f!&/~"@" Canadians."

Part of our duties during the four-year program was periodically updating the Literature Review papers on various subjects written by the Canadians, so that the phrase "Updated From a Paper Written By" followed by either of the Canadian's names became very familiar to all of us.

After 37 years, every time I hear the word "Canadian", my brain puts the "f!&/~"@" before it. [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
My brain does the same thing with the Mets.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
First time post,

I just purchased a new Stetson to add to my collection, I currently have a new open road in silverbelly and a new cavalry hat. I really like the cavalry hat it kind of looks to me like an uncreased open road. I found this stetson conservation officers hat on Ebay and couldn't resist. It says it was unworn in the box purchased from an estate sale.

View attachment 176305 View attachment 176306
A lot of possibilities with that hat. Welcome J.

nvilletele

One of the Regulars
I sometimes can't stop myself. I found an older Biltmore Panama in my size still at Hats Plus, one of a few which they originally just named "Monte Cristi." It's not on a level with the true, better (and incredibly expensive) Montecristis, but for quite some time this one was the top of Biltmore's Panama line (they call it a Grade 12, and the next step down in their line is Grade 8, apparently).

Now Biltmore has (for the past few years) a higher level, Grade 18, with a 2x2 weave, which they call "a true Montecristi." but that model (the "Ecauador") seems only available as via ordering, not stocked anywhere I can see. I find it ironic that years after they marketed a hat called Monte Cristi or Montecristi, they are now touting a new model as a "true" Montecristi.

The "Monte Cristi" I have just purchased (BS6847) does not itself appear in any Biltmore catalogs, but seems fairly identical to the one pictured here from their 2011 catalog (DS6008) with the same 2 1/4 brim length. (A later catalog shows the "Monte Cristi" as Montecristi BS6833, where the 33 indicates center dent with no side dents or pinch. The 47 at the end of the number means center dent with pinch front. A 40 indicates C crown. A 70 means center dent, with side dents. 53 is telescoping top pork pie. 51 is a telescoping diamond shape top. 49 seems to mean center dent with side dents, wide pinch and all downturn brim.)

Though I imagine this was finished in the USA and not Canada, based on the other Grade 12 Biltmore Panamas I have (Montreal (2" brim, C crown, 2x2 weave) and Supreme (2 3/8" brim, center dent with pinch, 1x1 weave), I expect this is going to be another one I really love.

It looks like the one in the old 2011 catalog has a wind cord of some kind? I don't know about the one I am getting. I'll have to wait and see, for that and the actual look of the hat, as these photos are not ideal. The one from Hats Plus seems as if enlarged from a small pic, with no real weave or details clearly delineated

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 1.56.15 PM.png

113_1_.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Can someone help me date this one? I picked up a Stetson Royal Deluxe The Eagle (ETA this coming Friday). It has the keyhole size tag, so I always want to say 50's but I'm still a novice and I think the keyhole tag may have run into the 60's as well. Straighten me out if not. I've seen another post about a Mallory (?) The Eagle starting production in 61 or 62. There is also a Stetson (Medalist) Eagle that was started in the early 40's (This one is not nearly that old).

Eagle 5.jpg Eagle 1.jpg Eagle 2.jpg Eagle 4.jpg

Can someone help me date this one? I picked up a Stetson Royal Deluxe The Eagle (ETA this coming Friday). It has the keyhole size tag, so I always want to say 50's but I'm still a novice and I think the keyhole tag may have run into the 60's as well. Straighten me out if not. I've seen another post about a Mallory (?) The Eagle starting production in 61 or 62. There is also a Stetson (Medalist) Eagle that was started in the early 40's (This one is not nearly that old).

View attachment 177000 View attachment 177001 View attachment 177002 View attachment 177003

The mixed number keyhole size tags came about in the late 1950s and continued until the very early 1960s. They were used for such a small time that you can date them more precisely than most hats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko