Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Thanks, Jim. I stretched my budget because I suspect this might be around 100 years old. Can't find a Knox label like this one on here.

I took it out of the freezer last night. Aside from being coated in a lot of dust it seems to be in good order. (That spot in the rear that looked possibly worn based on the seller's pic was just dust.) Hopefully I will get around to steaming, brushing, and taking some pics today.

Yeah, it's pretty old. Check The Hatted Professor for some age guidance. Sorry I ran the price up on you. I wanted it, but didn't have the heart to bid higher.

I have finalized the details of my new Gannon. Sahara beaver with a Rust ribbon/bow. Sometime in the next month it should be in my hands. It will be Michaels version of this one.

Attachments

• Milaner 5.png
    Milaner 5.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 84

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, it's pretty old. Check The Hatted Professor for some age guidance. Sorry I ran the price up on you. I wanted it, but didn't have the heart to bid higher.
No worries about the bidding. I chased that Bob Feller hat a few days later and had to tap out after factoring the bidder premium of 25% + sales tax + shipping + insurance. Had I won that I would have been done for the next several months.

I tried going to thehattedprofessor site before and after but nothing works for me. The Knox tab has said "Coming Soon" for several years. The Dobbs thread has/had content, but for whatever reason I can't see anything anymore. My iPad is pretty old running an outdated iOS, but the site doesn't work on my Android phone either which is just over a year old. Maybe I need to clear my cache, I don't know, or bust out an actual PC and try that.

I searched through Brad Bowers posts on here, as well as several other members (rlk, James Powers, JoshBru, dinerman, Justin's hats, Garret's hats, Alan's collection, DaveProcs ads, etc), the entirety of the Hard Knox thread, pre-40s dress hat thread, various dating threads, and the Internet in general. I've looked high and low. Definitely an older bow style, and I know the unsewn sweat seam on U.S. hat's is often (but not always) an indicator of pre-30s hats. There's a partial size sticker stuck on the seam as opposed to an attached tag. Superfine goes back to the early teens at least.

Based on some info I read about the history of Knox and a very similar label I found on a police hat that I suspect shortly predates this one I'm thinking possibly late teens or twenties. I was planning on posting the info in the Hard Knox thread.

Last edited:
No worries about the bidding. I chased that Bob Feller hat a few days later and had to tap out after factoring the bidder premium of 25% + sales tax + shipping + insurance. Had I won that I would have been done for the next several months.

I tried going to thehattedprofessor site before and after but nothing works for me. The Knox tab has said "Coming Soon" for several years. The Dobbs thread has/had content, but for whatever reason I can't see anything anymore. My iPad is pretty old running an outdated iOS, but the site doesn't work on my Android phone either which is just over a year old. Maybe I need to clear my cache, I don't know, or bust out an actual PC and try that.

I searched through Brad Bowers posts on here, as well as several other members (rlk, James Powers, JoshBru, dinerman, Justin's hats, Garret's hats, Alan's collection, DaveProcs ads, etc), the entirety of the Hard Knox thread, pre-40s dress hat thread, various dating threads, and the Internet in general. I've looked high and low. Definitely an older bow style, and I know the unsewn sweat seam on U.S. hat's is often (but not always) an indicator of pre-30s hats. There's a partial size sticker stuck on the seam as opposed to an attached tag. Superfine goes back to the early teens at least.

Based on some info I read about the history of Knox and a very similar label I found on a police hat that I suspect shortly predates this one I'm thinking possibly late teens or twenties. I was planning on posting the info in the Hard Knox thread.

I've never been able to get the Professor's site to work on anything but a PC. My phones and tablet don't like the place.

Granville

One of the Regulars
Needed a brown hat, so I made an offer on a Selentino Rose that seemed all good EXCEPT for the very front edge of the brim. Moth damage? Rubbing? I got the price down to thirty bucks (was 99/ offered 25 /counter was 50/sold at 30). I've read here that Selentino's Sterling is low-end, but found nothing on the Rose model, except from Selentino's own website (fur felt). I'm assuming it's not vintage; looking at pics of the new ones, I'm missing the feather, but I see a wind trolley. I wanted it for the color, notoriously hard to judge online; since I'll mostly wear it with a beat up brown leather jacket, I don't think the bum edge will detract from the look. I see a wrinkle in the hat band/ribbon I'm hoping I can straighten out. rose4.jpg rose5.jpg Rose1.jpg rose2.jpg rose3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass