Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
It's the same here. The vintage stores and charity shops hardly ever have hats these days. Not even Episode.

Facebook Market Place has become a good new fishing ground for me.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more once those 4 arrive, Stefan.

6393E236-54D2-4215-813F-56C17D10556C.png
612F952B-38C4-4934-A0E8-737EF0E8EF96.png

GHT

I'll Lock Up
How I envy those of you who are lucky enough with a hat size that the market caters for. Have you noticed how some retailers sell hats in S/M/L/XL? What kind of size is that? Hat sizing is comparable to shoe sizing and I have yet to see shoes sold in small medium and large. My size, in case you are curious, is seven and three quarters, that's 62 in metric measure. For that reason I go bespoke, much like the rest of my wardrobe.

So, what hat am I waiting for? My first silverbelly and I have been promised that she will start on it soon. How long is soon? Tina spoils me I guess, she buys the fabric then the next few days it's cut out, tacked, I try it on, adjustments made, then a couple of days later the shirt, waistcoat/vest, trousers appear and always fit perfectly.

This is the best that I can come up with as to what the hat will look like:
Silverbelly.jpg
Bespoke hats don't come cheap, there again, made to measure has never been about saving on the cost. Like I said, my missus spoils me, she's already mulling over an idea for trousers and dress shirt and I just have to have the shoes too. That's another irritation, Colin is still to finish my green & cream spectators so silver-grey shoes will go on the back burner. But hopefully they will look like this.................someday.
silver spectator.jpg
In the meantime I must learn to be patient, some chance of that, I'm still the same kid for whom Christmas never arrives.

How I envy those of you who are lucky enough with a hat size that the market caters for. Have you noticed how some retailers sell hats in S/M/L/XL? What kind of size is that? Hat sizing is comparable to shoe sizing and I have yet to see shoes sold in small medium and large. My size, in case you are curious, is seven and three quarters, that's 62 in metric measure. For that reason I go bespoke, much like the rest of my wardrobe.

So, what hat am I waiting for? My first silverbelly and I have been promised that she will start on it soon. How long is soon? Tina spoils me I guess, she buys the fabric then the next few days it's cut out, tacked, I try it on, adjustments made, then a couple of days later the shirt, waistcoat/vest, trousers appear and always fit perfectly.

This is the best that I can come up with as to what the hat will look like:
View attachment 407423
Bespoke hats don't come cheap, there again, made to measure has never been about saving on the cost. Like I said, my missus spoils me, she's already mulling over an idea for trousers and dress shirt and I just have to have the shoes too. That's another irritation, Colin is still to finish my green & cream spectators so silver-grey shoes will go on the back burner. But hopefully they will look like this.................someday.
View attachment 407422
In the meantime I must learn to be patient, some chance of that, I'm still the same kid for whom Christmas never arrives.
The joy of bespoke is having something that is made especially for you. Best to think of it that the smaller headed crowd make do with the hand-me-downs. The projects look very promising, Robert.

Ooooh, that's a score. Never been disappointed by a Willoughby.
Thanks…. As I have been reading! I believe you have one similar to this one…. Though I think this one will be a shorter brim than yours.
Nice find, Joe. Willoughby was a class act. Love my 3.
Thank you Steve. Looking forward to examining it…. It has now arrived just have to get time to unpack it.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
New custom Hufvud Homburg in 100% beaver….due to be posted next week….!

Attachments

• 07B89109-5690-487F-A25C-1E860FF119AC.jpeg
    07B89109-5690-487F-A25C-1E860FF119AC.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 43
  • E8F3DB56-2A14-4577-8AD8-3ABE5EC20DF8.jpeg
    E8F3DB56-2A14-4577-8AD8-3ABE5EC20DF8.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DA84F720-6A89-4764-B20F-1EB69D846F7B.jpeg
    DA84F720-6A89-4764-B20F-1EB69D846F7B.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 10105693-1F85-46D3-8F45-C6B92B21A8D7.jpeg
    10105693-1F85-46D3-8F45-C6B92B21A8D7.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 42

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'd be fine with that if I could find any in my size that didn't require the sale of internal organs. :confused:
That is so true, I can get a decent pair of shoes made for almost the same price as a bespoke hat.
I'm not familiar with US labour charges but here in the UK an artisan will charge about £20@hour, that's about $26.50. Some charge a lot more, but by and large the twenty pounds is about the benchmark.

My wife, Tina, can make one of my shirts in ten hours, start to finish. She never does though, she prefers to work for an hour or two at a time, nonetheless it's still ten hours for which the labour charge would be: £200, add on £45 for three yards of top quality fabric, then there's the cost of the paper pattern, the notions like needles, thread, buttons, interfacing and collar stiffener. Use of the electrical power, and if it were a business, wear and tear on the sewing machines. In all, another £45. That's £290 ($383.50) Broken down like that it's easy to see how you might have to sell one of your kidneys, others might even say it costs an arm and a leg.

Tina only makes clothes for ourselves and for her own pleasure. It's a consuming hobby that she has done since the age of eight. As many a Lounger has commented: "How lucky am I?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn