Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chillin on a nice spring day dreaming of summer adventures in my Smithbilt Scout hat.
C0EF8B0D-57EB-4DB0-9C87-4FB49C51C5C0.jpeg
D2A82C50-9C7B-402B-B068-47B88FFF90B2.jpeg

Hey, I own my own tux. Maybe I need a topper, too.

I never wear the tux anymore, though. But I was a Boy Scout, so I still try to be prepared, LOL.

I own a tux and two additional dinner jackets…not that they currently fit, but I’m always planning on losing weight with the diet I’m always going to start next week. However, a tuxedo/dinner suit is semi-formal and the homburg is the correct hat. A top hat is for a morning suit or white tie. I don’t own a tails coat/cutaway and I never seem to get an invite to embassy dinners or galas. I feel like wearing my top hat with less than it’s traditionally paired garb would be satire and that’s not my intent. Others wear them less formally and I enjoy it, but it’s not for me.

I own a tux and two additional dinner jackets…not that they currently fit, but I’m always planning on losing weight with the diet I’m always going to start next week. However, a tuxedo/dinner suit is semi-formal and the homburg is the correct hat. A top hat is for a morning suit or white tie. I don’t own a tails coat/cutaway and I never seem to get an invite to embassy dinners or galas. I feel like wearing my top hat with less than it’s traditionally paired garb would be satire and that’s not my intent. Others wear them less formally and I enjoy it, but it’s not for me.

I'm aware of what goes with what. I previously regularly went to formal dinners, awards banquets, and other such things on a regular basis. Now, it's just something else I likely wouldn't have an occasion to wear; that was my point.

My tux slacks are actually too big now, because I have lost weight. Thank goodness for braces.

I'm aware of what goes with what. I previously regularly went to formal dinners, awards banquets, and other such things on a regular basis. Now, it's just something else I likely wouldn't have an occasion to wear; that was my point.

My tux slacks are actually too big now, because I have lost weight. Thank goodness for braces.

Sorry, Jim. That was rather arrogant and presumptive of me when I re-read what I wrote.

My life used to call for a dinner suit a few times a year, but strangely my last promotion caused a downgrade in my day to day and event clothing.

Sorry, Jim. That was rather arrogant and presumptive of me when I re-read what I wrote.

My life used to call for a dinner suit a few times a year, but strangely my last promotion caused a downgrade in my day to day and event clothing.

I was privileged for many years to be able to attend the Aviation Hall of Fame banquet, along with USAF Balls and the like, in representation of my employer at the time. Got to see and meet some interesting folks. My job is a little more low-key now, and I'm OK with that.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Ooh, that wil be a good one!

You're on a roll, Steve. And with the box too!
Thanks Stefan. The Top Hat doesn't look of much interest, but the leather case was what I was going for.

Sadly, the Scott & Co Bowler turned out to be a 55 and not a 57 as advertised. So I stopped the deal. On the bright side, it put me in touch with another Brit living in Denmark.

Or.....
1650467713637.png

or other appropriate re-enactment or historical event...:)

1650467970324.png
1650468027825.png
1650468052427.png
1650468071923.png
:p

RossRYoung

Practically Family
The recent discussion on fancy duds has me wanting to share a bit of irony within my own shifting wardrobe.

As some may know or recall, I was previously employed as an investment banker and worked within the heart of Beverly Hills. This called for a nice suit on, essentially, a daily basis.

My new gig, which I’m genuinely thrilled about, has brought me back to my birth state (Michigan) and has me standing in literal trash. Jeans and flannel are my new work gear for my landfill/leachate duties. A drastic change of pace, but I love it!

The recent discussion on fancy duds has me wanting to share a bit of irony within my own shifting wardrobe.

As some may know or recall, I was previously employed as an investment banker and worked within the heart of Beverly Hills. This called for a nice suit on, essentially, a daily basis.

My new gig, which I’m genuinely thrilled about, has brought me back to my birth state (Michigan) and has me standing in literal trash. Jeans and flannel are my new work gear for my landfill/leachate duties. A drastic change of pace, but I love it!

As a guy who worked for a hazardous waste trucking and consulting firm many moons, ago, I salute you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy