Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Granville

One of the Regulars
I didn't think I'd be posting here on the "bought another one" thread anytime soon, but... here I am. I've been searching for a fur felt/vintage homburg on the usual sites and viola! picked up a Royal Stetson at a reasonable price (more on that below). Seller says "40's - 50's" but I think later based on the size tag. I'm not sure how many H'burgs were being made in the seventies, so I'd guess sixties on this. The homburg I already own (in my profile pic) is a new, wool Scala and I've only worn it a couple of times. The stiff wool is slightly large (I used some sizing tape) and doesn't really fit the shape of my head - pinches in the front and back and wide on the sides. I expect the Stetson to be more forgiving.
Also in black, I'll be wearing it when I'm most formally dressed (again, in the pic you'll see I've got a boffo silk scarf to accessorize). The Scala was one of my first purchases, a two-for-one I picked up with a black trilby, before I found the lounge and discovered the vintage market. I still like the wool trilby, good fit, warm in deep winter, it'll be my everyday when the weather gets below freezing.
Here's the pics of what's coming:
hombrgstet.jpg
HombStet.jpg
homstetsizetag.png
homroyal.png

I'm confident I can brush off the dust on the brim, and straighten it out.
Sweat looks in great shape, too. But I don't know what the cellophane is about -- maybe stuck in there for sizing?
I probably could have gotten it a couple of bucks cheaper; as I typed in my offer (ebay) I was prompted something like, "If you bid... the seller would more likely accept" but the number was literally a dollar and a half under what I was about to type (the prompt came up after I entered a single digit, before I completed my number). So, pro tip, type in one digit and see what they prompt you (don't just add something in front of the zero already on the form). The point being, my offer was accepted instantaneously, so the seller had an automatic acceptance price.
As for the wool homburg, I'll take it with me to a flea market on Sunday (a big one) and see if I can unload it. Because it was a two-fer, I'll try and get my money back (or close) and tell the buyer they're getting it half-off.

Attachments

• HomStetson.jpg
    HomStetson.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 41

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I didn't think I'd be posting here on the "bought another one" thread anytime soon, but... here I am. I've been searching for a fur felt/vintage homburg on the usual sites and viola! picked up a Royal Stetson at a reasonable price (more on that below). Seller says "40's - 50's" but I think later based on the size tag. I'm not sure how many H'burgs were being made in the seventies, so I'd guess sixties on this. The homburg I already own (in my profile pic) is a new, wool Scala and I've only worn it a couple of times. The stiff wool is slightly large (I used some sizing tape) and doesn't really fit the shape of my head - pinches in the front and back and wide on the sides. I expect the Stetson to be more forgiving.
Also in black, I'll be wearing it when I'm most formally dressed (again, in the pic you'll see I've got a boffo silk scarf to accessorize). The Scala was one of my first purchases, a two-for-one I picked up with a black trilby, before I found the lounge and discovered the vintage market. I still like the wool trilby, good fit, warm in deep winter, it'll be my everyday when the weather gets below freezing.
View attachment 456828 View attachment 456829 View attachment 456830 View attachment 456832
Sweat looks in great shape, too. But I don't know what the cellophane is about -- maybe stuck in there for sizing?
I probably could have gotten it a couple of bucks cheaper; as I typed in my offer (ebay) I was prompted something like, "If you bid... the seller would more likely accept" but the number was literally a dollar and a half under what I was about to type (the prompt came up after I entered a single digit, before I completed my number). So, pro tip, type in one digit and see what they prompt you (don't just add something in front of the zero already on the form). The point being, my offer was accepted instantaneously, so the seller had an automatic acceptance price.
As for the wool homburg, I'll take it with me to a flea market on Sunday (a big one) and see if I can unload it. Because it was a two-fer, I'll try and get my money back (or close) and tell the buyer they're getting it half-off.
Are you sure it's a Homburg, Granville? The brim doesn't look particularly stiff nor Homburg like in the photos. Hope I'm wrong.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I'm not exactly a bartender, but I'm judging by the bit of ribbon on the edge of the brim. I anticipate having to steam the brim a bit and get the curl right.
It's a Homburg if the brim is a stiff felt. No amount of steam will make it so if it's not.

Looking forward to seeing your posts once it arrives. Whatever way, it's still a nice looking Royal Stetson.

View attachment 456828 View attachment 456829 View attachment 456830 View attachment 456832

I wonder about this hat too. It’s a 1960 specimen, and I can see the unusually tight brim curl in the back that would lead someone to identify it as a homburg. The binding and shape have me wondering if it truly is a homburg. We’ll look forward to your evaluation when it arrives.

Granville

One of the Regulars
It's a Homburg if the brim is a stiff felt

The binding and shape have me wondering if it truly is a homburg
Well, y'all have me wondering, too! The brim doesn't look particularly stiff, but I'm hoping I can get that tight curl at the edge restored (assuming it was ever there at all!), and perhaps get the sides to "roll up" some. Of course, if it was stiff like the wool hats, I wouldn't be able to do anything with it, so I'm cautiously optimistic I can get the look I want. Assuming I can, then the difference will be how the crown looks. I'll check back in with you on the new hats thread when I get it. And, if all goes well, in Homburg Nation!
PS: I guess I'll be hanging onto the Scala 'burg for a while, too. Especially will want to do a side by side.

Last edited:

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I was re-watching Lonesome Dove yesterday and admiring Gus McCrae's hat, when I remembered I have an even better one, so I am wearing one of my very best hats today. What do I care if it looks out of place on the golf course? One never knows where a steer will need to be branded. 1930s. Hi, Brent and Bowen!
FB_IMG_1665683902237.jpg
FB_IMG_1665683906680.jpg
FB_IMG_1665683909418.jpg
FB_IMG_1665683912138.jpg
FB_IMG_1665683915114.jpg
FB_IMG_1665683919686.jpg

I was re-watching Lonesome Dove yesterday and admiring Gus McCrae's hat, when I remembered I have an even better one, so I am wearing one of my very best hats today. What do I care if it looks out of place on the golf course? One never knows where a steer will need to be branded. 1930s. Hi, Brent and Bowen! View attachment 457155 View attachment 457156 View attachment 457157 View attachment 457158 View attachment 457159 View attachment 457160

Great hat, Max, but the best was just seeing you again. Don’t be a stranger, my friend.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I was re-watching Lonesome Dove yesterday and admiring Gus McCrae's hat, when I remembered I have an even better one, so I am wearing one of my very best hats today. What do I care if it looks out of place on the golf course? One never knows where a steer will need to be branded. 1930s. Hi, Brent and Bowen! View attachment 457155 View attachment 457156 View attachment 457157 View attachment 457158 View attachment 457159 View attachment 457160
Wonderful Denver Max. Good to see you back and on the links.

Wow, what a thing! Don't stick to re-watching, Max: go for re-enacting!

As long as it doesn't impede your swing.

Nice hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21