Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

I know that “because the liner…” is a dumb reason to buy a hat, but here you have it. I couldn’t resist.
View attachment 489205

I fully understand the draw of a red liner! Looking forward to your thoughts on American Hat Co's 3X Clear Beaver. I've heard some doubt about it being 100% beaver. Maybe a blend with no dye, but I've seen it in dyed felts as well.

Snowman

Practically Family
I think it's a very acceptable answer! I just wish all hats came with a darker liner like this - they never end up looking yellowed and grubby the way a white liner can (as a head-shaver, this significantly affects me). I love the red liner. Here in England, Christys have long used a red liner in their hats. Including this Homburg which arrived at my office across town on Friday, and I will be able to collect tomorrow:

View attachment 489210
View attachment 489211
View attachment 489212
View attachment 489216

These are the seller's images from eBay; I'm hoping the real thing is as nice, and a good fit...

I've been wanting a brown Homburg for quite some time. This one won't be especially vintage, but Christys didn't change their designs much (if at all) for decades. They still make the black one, but (as with their bowlers), they stopped doing any colour other than black as a production run a few years ago. I imagine this reflects the homburg being viewed now as a more formal hat, but I do love them. Eventually I will have a custon one made with midnight blue body and a copper ribbon and brim binding.... For now, very pleased to fin this on the Bay.
That one is a beauty, and the red stitching just adds an extra classy touch.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I know that “because the liner…” is a dumb reason to buy a hat, but here you have it. I couldn’t resist.
View attachment 489205

Do we have a Red Liner thread?

Stetson No. 1 Quality (sweat replaced)

20201122_112023.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 489205

I fully understand the draw of a red liner! Looking forward to your thoughts on American Hat Co's 3X Clear Beaver. I've heard some doubt about it being 100% beaver. Maybe a blend with no dye, but I've seen it in dyed felts as well.

I’ve had a couple of those American Hat Co. Clear Beaver hats too. It sure didn’t feel like any other 100% beaver felt I’ve handled. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another of the price was right, but it’s nothing at all like the Stetson version. I’d bet the AHC Clear Beaver was a blended fur felt that is predominantly rabbit…nothing wrong with that.

I’d be tempted by the liner too.

The Shoe

One Too Many
So I picked up the Christys Homburg this morning in the office. Pleased to say it's as nice as expected:

View attachment 489587

(Above image taken with a phone front cam, so it's reversed - I've not got the hat on backwards!)

View attachment 489588

That liner in natural light:

View attachment 489589
I had a beautiful Christys’ hat with the same lining. Unfortunately it was just a bit small, so I ended up selling it cheaply to a friend.
Fortunately, one of my Hornskovs has this…
2138594B-29C7-4E3B-94B3-DA13E5BCCEC2.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko