Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

DonR

One of the Regulars
I wasn't really in the market for another bowler, but I made an offer on this O.P.A. tagged Dobbs and it was accepted.

1712337673209.png

1712337748680.png

RickP

New in Town
Im currently waiting for a new to me Akubra Metropolitan to to show up in the mail. ( 3 days from Sydney AU to Chicago and out of customs.... been bouncing around the Dallas area processing centers for 4 1/2 days now lol)Its a project hat that was cheap and I thought worth the risk. Does anyone have a pic showing what this one should have originally looked like before it was crunched up?

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Im currently waiting for a new to me Akubra Metropolitan to to show up in the mail. ( 3 days from Sydney AU to Chicago and out of customs.... been bouncing around the Dallas area processing centers for 4 1/2 days now lol)Its a project hat that was cheap and I thought worth the risk. Does anyone have a pic showing what this one should have originally looked like before it was crunched up?
I’ve never heard of a Metropolitan. A Google search didn’t turn up anything neither did an internal search of TFL. Do you have a photo of the hat as you are expecting it to arrive? It could very well be a vintage model and that will certainly be interesting!

RickP

New in Town
I’ve never heard of a Metropolitan. A Google search didn’t turn up anything neither did an internal search of TFL. Do you have a photo of the hat as you are expecting it to arrive? It could very well be a vintage model and that will certainly be interesting!
Here are some pics from the auction. I had zero luck finding anything onlinbe myself...Im thinking it was probably an Australian only market item

Attachments

• metro3.jpg
    metro3.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 19
  • metro2.jpg
    metro2.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 18
  • metro1.jpg
    metro1.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 20

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Here are some pics from the auction. I had zero luck finding anything onlinbe myself...Im thinking it was probably an Australian only market item
Very cool, thanks for showing. It’s interesting to see a small brim combined with the thin ribbon.

In my experience that quality of felt from Akubra gets the factory creases set in pretty solid (assuming it wasn’t sold open crown). You can change them but there are still crease ghosts so that the felt can easily nudge back into the original shape without much effort. Looks to me like it maybe just had a center crease with a slight dome and front pinches - but that’s just a guess from the photos.

Here is an Akubra Kiandra with the kind of center crease I mean: Akubra likes this crease and uses it in a number of models and it looks to me like what you have in the Metropolitan. I think you have this with front pinches.

IMG_1235.jpeg

Once you get it cleaned up, I hope you’ll post it on the “Akubra Overload” page and leave a record of that model.

RickP

New in Town
Very cool, thanks for showing. It’s interesting to see a small brim combined with the thin ribbon.

In my experience that quality of felt from Akubra gets the factory creases set in pretty solid (assuming it wasn’t sold open crown). You can change them but there are still crease ghosts so that the felt can easily nudge back into the original shape without much effort. Looks to me like it maybe just had a center crease with a slight dome and front pinches - but that’s just a guess from the photos.

Here is an Akubra Kiandra with the kind of center crease I mean: Akubra likes this crease and uses it in a number of models and it looks to me like what you have in the Metropolitan. I think you have this with front pinches.

View attachment 607009

Once you get it cleaned up, I hope you’ll post it on the “Akubra Overload” page and leave a record of that model.
Will do just that! My experience with Akubras agrees that they tend to want to stay as they were lol. Ive trimmed several brims down on mine, but Ive been fortunate that I actually like their factory creases. Ive always liked a more modest brim size, but being here in Texas, there ARE times a wider brim is needed. ( were almost into straw season down here) The little Metropolitan caught my eye because the last year or so Ive actually warmed up to 2" brims a bit... makes for a nice coffee shop hat, and theyre real easy to get into and out of cars with.

Where about in Bama are you? Ive got family around Huntsville, and Ragland/ Pell City areas

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Will do just that! My experience with Akubras agrees that they tend to want to stay as they were lol. Ive trimmed several brims down on mine, but Ive been fortunate that I actually like their factory creases. Ive always liked a more modest brim size, but being here in Texas, there ARE times a wider brim is needed. ( were almost into straw season down here) The little Metropolitan caught my eye because the last year or so Ive actually warmed up to 2" brims a bit... makes for a nice coffee shop hat, and theyre real easy to get into and out of cars with.

Where about in Bama are you? Ive got family around Huntsville, and Ragland/ Pell City areas
I am also experiencing an increased interest in stingier brims - though 2-1/4 is as small as I want to go at the moment.

I am in Huntsville, but I am not from this area, just here accidentally. I was born on a military base in Wichita Falls, Texas and have spent my life traveling.

I couldn’t do the long straw season you guys have. It’s at least half the year, no?

RickP

New in Town
I am also experiencing an increased interest in stingier brims - though 2-1/4 is as small as I want to go at the moment.

I am in Huntsville, but I am not from this area, just here accidentally. I was born on a military base in Wichita Falls, Texas and have spent my life traveling.

I couldn’t do the long straw season you guys have. It’s at least half the year, no?
I cant really do straws all the time, so during our April thru September "straw" season, I do tend to pull out some lighter felts. I DID just pick up a nice soft Paja Toquilla for the summer... will have to see what sweat does to it lol

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I cant really do straws all the time, so during our April thru September "straw" season, I do tend to pull out some lighter felts. I DID just pick up a nice soft Paja Toquilla for the summer... will have to see what sweat does to it lol
My best straw is an Akubra Hemp. I just haven’t gotten into straws much yet - but then I don’t live in Texas, where I reckon a vintage straw collection and some Tony Lama ostrich boots would find a lot of use.

RickP

New in Town
My best straw is an Akubra Hemp. I just haven’t gotten into straws much yet - but then I don’t live in Texas, where I reckon a vintage straw collection and some Tony Lama ostrich boots would find a lot of use.
By the way Ill throw this out here... Theres a nice looking 59cm Campdraft in Bluegrass on ebay right now. Also a light Grey Bogart in 55cm (Id never seen a Bogart in a light color like that... only one Ive got is black)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Looks a bit like one of my Gannon westerns.

View attachment 607009

20240113_161508.jpg 20240113_153407.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner