Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I think we should all get to make one recommendation each and you go with whatever gets the most votes.

Yikes! Thanks, but no thanks. I have a certain gag reflex when I don some hats. They may look great on others, but on me, they'd only look good if I add a clown nose and wig to the look!

But as of today, I'm beginning my search. Casually, but knowing some of these hats take weeks to ship. And I'm seeing great improvement after only one week of recovery...

I did my first and LAST naptha bath on one of my $10 thrift store finds. Old resistol, pretty bad stains but had a decent sweat. I pulled the liner out and soaked it in some 20 Mule Team Borax solution. That part cleaned up nicely. But, After an hour in the naptha bath the sweat turned milky white and nasty and the stains never did come out of the fur. So, after all the nonsense of finding and buying the naptha, finding a suitable tub to soak it in, dealing with the caustic naptha, filtering the naptha back into the can, and having a poor outcome all around....I will now just send my referbs to Art. Naptha is some really nasty sh*t. And I have better things to do with my time. ;(

I usually suggest hitting stains with a white vinegar solution, prior to bathing. Just as a dry cleaner treats the stains before cleaning. Not everything comes out, but much does. The white film on the sweat wipes off with leather conditioner - I've never suffered ill after effects.

Naphtha's pretty innocuous, to me. Other than it's flammability, it's pure, distilled petroleum spirits. Gasoline is "nastier."

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

fashion frank

One Too Many
I usually suggest hitting stains with a white vinegar solution, prior to bathing. Just as a dry cleaner treats the stains before cleaning. Not everything comes out, but much does. The white film on the sweat wipes off with leather conditioner - I've never suffered ill after effects.

Naphtha's pretty innocuous, to me. Other than it's flammability, it's pure, distilled petroleum spirits. Gasoline is "nastier."

I hear you on that I went and bought the stuff ready to do what you did but then I chickened out and glad I did I’ve heard 10 horror stories for every good outcome and it will destroy any leather band !
All The Best, Fashion Frank

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Never had a bad outcome with naptha. Sometimes not as good on spots as I had hoped, but hitting spots like rust with diluted vinegar works well, then naptha bath later.

The thing I do avoid now is Lexol on my older sweats. I had a perfectly good one fall apart after applying Lexol. Naptha has never adversely affected the leather sweats on my hats.

IMO, Naptha doesn't require a long soak for what it's good at removing, which is dirt, detritus, grease, oils, etc. Fifteen minutes is plenty.

My daughter dropped her hat in some ketchup at a restaurant. A perfect reason to leave your hat on your head if there is no place to hang your hat. Will try some Oxi-clean paste made with the powder and some water (or diluted white vinegar) then rinse lightly and let it dry.

Sometimes when removing spots you are left with really nice clean spots and the rest of the felt then shows how really dirty it is... and then you end up with a naptha bath anyway.

Spot treating with naptha, as mentioned above, can also be a good option.

Last edited:
I hear you on that I went and bought the stuff ready to do what you did but then I chickened out and glad I did I’ve heard 10 horror stories for every good outcome and it will destroy any leather band !
All The Best, Fashion Frank

Well, Frank, no offense, but perhaps you didn't hear me. I have never had a sweat go bad because of a naphtha bath.

Tonio

A-List Customer
Borsalino collapsible top hat. Hadn't seen one from them before.

image.jpeg

Never had a bad outcome with naptha. Sometimes not as good on spots as I had hoped, but hitting spots like rust with diluted vinegar works well, then naptha bath later.

The thing I do avoid now is Lexol on my older sweats. I had a perfectly good one fall apart after applying Lexol. Naptha has never adversely affected the leather sweats on my hats.

IMO, Naptha doesn't require a long soak for what it's good at removing, which is dirt, detritus, grease, oils, etc. Fifteen minutes is plenty.

My daughter dropped her hat in some ketchup at a restaurant. A perfect reason to leave your hat on your head if there is no place to hang your hat. Will try some Oxi-clean paste made with the powder and some water (or diluted white vinegar) then rinse lightly and let it dry.

Sometimes when removing spots you are left with really nice clean spots and the rest of the felt then shows how really dirty it is... and then you end up with a naptha bath anyway.

Spot treating with naptha, as mentioned above, can also be a good option.
I can understand the apprehension to soak a hat in a naptha bath, but I have achieved excellent results with the stuff and the hats have not suffered any damage from it. I do attend to the sweat after the naptha with some leather conditioner. It's not a cure all unfortunately; some stains are there to stay it seems.

I was finally able to score that Levi's cowboy hat in my size! Been wanting one of these for years. Oh ... I had to take an old Edwards/Manhattan and some Stetson model ... Stratollner I think. Whatever. Oh yeah ... $15.

View attachment 130384

Wow, great score! Those Levi’s are hard to come by. Shame about the other junk that came with it. Goodwill donation material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, great score! Those Levi’s are hard to come by. Shame about the other junk that came with it. Goodwill donation material?

I might experiment with them. Thinking about the wax treatment...

gunner_foxx-jpg.126801

Damn shame, being taken advantage of like that. I'd be happy to give you your $15 back in exchange for that Stratowhateveritis if it's a size 7-1/2...plus shipping costs, of course. :D

Sorry Zomb. The junkers are both too small for us (7-1/8).

Great score Bob!

Thanks Jim!

Your value vs price ratio is getting better and better. Can't wait to see more of that Levi's:)

Thanks Stefan. I knew you would be asking about the Levi's. Here is a shot of the liner.

Levi_Stetson_Edwards_03.jpg

I love this place. Everyone always looking out for each other! :D

Best group of friends ever!

Thanks everyone for the comments and "likes".

The Necktie Guy

Familiar Face
Decided to buy my very first hat today. Thought I'd start with one of these before I start moving up to the finer hats.
It's a 1960's Towncraft in dark gray (almost black), with a stingy brim. 4X beaver felt.
Very clean hat! Delivery will be next week, and I can hardly wait! :D

Update: My hat came in this afternoon! (August 13, 2018) :)

gQoYqvz.jpg

34mZUC7.jpg

pWS44WM.jpg

EtaAnjB.jpg

wV7VjRO.jpg

Rx1uWF5.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko