Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Dm101

A-List Customer
Cool hat Dm. Welcome to the vintage world.
It’s on now!
What are you gonna do with this one? Tan Amish style?
Bowen
You know it! I'm going to reshape it into a telescope crown like my black Amish hat and flatten the brim. I'll stiffen the crown after I get it perfect.
Im also working on building a 9mm ammo-hatband for it from leather.
It's going to be so awesome!

When I get done it should look like a flat-brim version of this hat...
AZTRGRoughGambler.jpg

Of course with the ammo-hatband and lighter color...

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
80631023-5F8B-4CE3-99F1-8482C4054C23.jpeg
ED6C2507-BF7F-4F54-A3E2-282EF80415BD.jpeg
C22821D6-525B-40C3-8F45-E5C0D453C9E4.jpeg
CA933BF7-EC89-4F4D-8FB5-5ACE4EF0DC32.jpeg
105CDE7E-44E4-4EE2-B7F4-D5CC7557C048.jpeg
Greetings All:
Done waiting. I was taking some pics so thought i’d throw them out here. No prep on this, just a crease and pose.
This one’s along the lines of the Angora and Disney Camel Hair.
Might have to do a comparison on the three.
Borsalino “SILCHI”. I’ve never seen another. Kinda nice.
Be well. Bowen

Dm101

A-List Customer
View attachment 155974 View attachment 155975 View attachment 155976 View attachment 155977 View attachment 155978 Greetings All:
Done waiting. I was taking some pics so thought i’d throw them out here. No prep on this, just a crease and pose.
Be well. Bowen
That looks so furry and warm...wow!
Nice find!

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Take extra care if you have to venture out into the storm that's slamming the islands right now.
That was very exciting. The wind was blowing so hard off shore where I live that the waves looked like they were breaking out to sea. 60 MPH gusts, downed power poles/lines, downed trees and many tree limbs. Power outages, and just howling wind. Never seen anything like that before.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I always wanted to go back to Niue Island, but never got there again. Advancing age and health problems have seen to that. Now that I'm married to an Ecuadorian woman, we spend our time and money visiting family in Ecuador. More likely we'd move there than the south pacific.

When I was younger and weighed less I'd climb coconut trees to get a drink.

i-XdbZvrB.jpg

Its a small world. I sailed relatively close to Niue in 1983. One passage brought me from the Northern Cooks to Vava'u Tonga. When I was done with the South Pacific, I spent 6 months in Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia. Great photo of a kid up a palm. :)

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Its a small world. I sailed relatively close to Niue in 1983. One passage brought me from the Northern Cooks to Vava'u Tonga. When I was done with the South Pacific, I spent 6 months in Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia. Great photo of a kid up a palm. :)
I was only in Nuku'alofa, Tonga, for a week... but what a week! Those Tongans know how to put out a spread. It was surreal, like something tight out of Tales of the South Pacific by James Michener novel.

I'd never been further away from our home south of Seattle, WA, than Vancouver, BC, prior to that. Even though I studied up on the people, food, culture, etc, there was still a certain amount of culture shock. Like sucking the goo from the "stomach" of a coconut crab. "SERIOUSLY???," I asked... LOL.

That really is me in that picture. Somewhere out in the thick bush, not far from Liku, Niue Island, my name is whacked into the base of a very tall coconut tree. An old man who has since passed, Fakalanu, carved it there with is machete after I climbed up to get us something to drink. He went on and on how tall the tree was and how he'd never seen a palagi (white boy) climb a tree like that before. At first, he refused to let me do it... until I told him I had climbed the trees next to his property in town (and stolen some of his coconuts) on one especially HOT and HUMID night... LOL).

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I was only in Nuku'alofa, Tonga, for a week... but what a week! Those Tongans know how to put out a spread. It was surreal, like something tight out of Tales of the South Pacific by James Michener novel.

I'd never been further away from our home south of Seattle, WA, than Vancouver, BC, prior to that. Even though I studied up on the people, food, culture, etc, there was still a certain amount of culture shock. Like sucking the goo from the "stomach" of a coconut crab. "SERIOUSLY???," I asked... LOL.

That really is me in that picture. Somewhere out in the thick bush, not far from Liku, Niue Island, my name is whacked into the base of a very tall coconut tree. An old man who has since passed, Fakalanu, carved it there with is machete after I climbed up to get us something to drink. He went on and on how tall the tree was and how he'd never seen a palagi (white boy) climb a tree like that before. At first, he refused to let me do it... until I told him I had climbed the trees next to his property in town (and stolen some of his coconuts) on one especially HOT and HUMID night... LOL).
I had never met someone with anything like your past, Doug.
Qué envidia!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up

I can see it, that skinny coconut kid looks like you. :)
The King of Tonga visited Vava'u when I was there and they put on a huge feast. Only time I ever ate fruit bat.

VintageWriting

New in Town
View attachment 155974 View attachment 155975 View attachment 155976 View attachment 155977 View attachment 155978 Greetings All:
Be well. Bowen
I was the underbidder on that hat and I'm very jealous. I went a little higher on a Stetson that looked like it had a taller IMG_E1876.JPG crown, thinking it would be better, but it has arrived, and while I like it okay, its crown is not that high. You definitely got the better one.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I was the underbidder on that hat and I'm very jealous. I went a little higher on a Stetson that looked like it had a taller View attachment 156154 crown, thinking it would be better, but it has arrived, and while I like it okay, its crown is not that high. You definitely got the better one.
Sorry for your loss VW but i am very happy with the hat. Keep looking...hope you find another.
Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot