Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

OldStrummer

Practically Family
3 1/2" brim for maximum shade...
18% gray? Is it 18% of cool gray 9, cool gray 3, warm gray 7...
Couldn't resist...

This is the widest brim hat I will ever have had. I'm not certain how it will look on me, but since it's meant for the photographer, chances are I will wear it on photo journeys. I'm sure you also understand the concept of the "gray card?" Photographers use an 18% gray card on which to calibrate the white balance of their cameras on a shoot. I carry a gray card in my camera bag. In fact, one of my camera bags is lined in 18% gray. You can't ever be too careful. Or prepared...

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
This is the widest brim hat I will ever have had. I'm not certain how it will look on me, but since it's meant for the photographer, chances are I will wear it on photo journeys. I'm sure you also understand the concept of the "gray card?" Photographers use an 18% gray card on which to calibrate the white balance of their cameras on a shoot. I carry a gray card in my camera bag. In fact, one of my camera bags is lined in 18% gray. You can't ever be too careful. Or prepared...
Didn't know photographers did that. Since I have an iPhone, I ditch my semi-almost-pro digital camera (bought it in 2002).
The concept of gray depends on who prints it.
The hat, it will be fine.

Through the grace of @moontheloon (our own Ant) a stupendous Borsalino is due to arrive tomorrow. First new hat in a while, very eager to handle this Featherweight from the 1940s.

Borsalino Featherweight diamond crease 550x.jpg

Last edited:

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Didn't know photographers did that. Since I have an iPhone, I ditch my semi-almost-pro digital camera (bought it in 2002).
The concept of gray depends on who prints it.
The hat, it will be fine.
The advances in photo post-processing software and in camera technology makes some of these features and capabilities almost needless. Still, I'm a believer in "getting it right as near as possible," to keep from having to spend time in "the darkroom." A gray card sets the camera for the (reflected) light as it currently exists, overriding the "daylight," "sun," "cloudy," "indoors," etc. settings. Simple take a photo of your gray card and tell the camera that's it. One less setting to have to play with.

I think the hat is waiting for me on my doorstep. Days on end all my tracking told me, it was "In transit to Next facility." Now, --presto!-- it seems to have been delivered. I hope to have a photo up in the next day or so.

Bagged a bird from Ebay a couple of days ago. Couldn't resist a $30 BIN. Looks to be in good shape, nice heathered finish and cool ribbon. I would guess from the later 50s? Can't tell if the liner is just printed or embroidered.

View attachment 155722 View attachment 155723

That looks a lot like one I’m selling on the Bay. It’s has very diminutive proportions.

238ccd6992b6411e3b717d5f09fc7c82.jpg

d8b64a6d96d28987bdbc5c24036451c5.jpg

It’s the lowest crowned hat I’ve ever owned. My liner is embroidered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails