Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The CC looks great rlk! Is there a stamp at the crown on that one? My earlier ones have a circular logo around the ventilated crown. Some are stamped and others applied

rlk

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:
The CC looks great rlk! Is there a stamp at the crown on that one? My earlier ones have a circular logo around the ventilated crown. Some are stamped and others applied
Thank you all. Unfortunately this one is fading away.
4497610297_c1a2ab0044.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
That is nice Robert. You have a great collection of heathers!
By the way, did Greg ever explain how they are [were] made?

Greg apparently wasn't familiar with the process. I've since had my speculation confirmed: The fur has to be dyed in the component colors before the felting process begins. This leads to some complications in the felting and its strength.

DOUGLAS

Fading or not it is still a wonderful hat. They are among my favorite models. They must have changed to a weaker type of ink as I have hats that are near death but the printing is still crisp.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
rlk said:
Greg apparently wasn't familiar with the process. I've since had my speculation confirmed: The fur has to be dyed in the component colors before the felting process begins. This leads to some complications in the felting and its strength.

I have just purchased one that has a moth hole which I plan on repairing by finding matching fibers and felting them in myself:mad:

lol lol lol
wish me luck :D

Stetson Whippet Straw

Here is the modern Stetson Whippet straw I picked up a the outlet. It has a narrower ribbon than the standard model. I have no idea how it came about but a very nice hat for $39.00.

4497693383_ceeba74107_b.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:
Fading or not it is still a wonderful hat. They are among my favorite models. They must have changed to a weaker type of ink as I have hats that are near death but the printing is still crisp.
Some of my favorites too. This was definitely a high mileage specimen and very light weight felt to begin with. They may have scrubbed it with some heavy implements at some point. The felt coloring seems fine though.

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
First Bowler Wearing Today

I returned from Afghanistan to sort through my auction win arrivals...here's one of the five bowlers I won (I was on a roll, I guess...but Wifey didn't scold me;) ). Hadn't worn a bowler out in public before...didn't get any strange looks...did get a couple compliments. Stetson, Excellent Quality.
bljbowler.jpg

Bernie

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Paladin said:
Yesterday I wore the Dobbs Hanover Square that Gene provided me with at Monteagle.

HanoverSquareOR003.jpg

Hold the fort! You mean, you now own that beautiful Hanover Square with the iridescent green ribbon thing going on? :eek: :eek: :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

That is a terrific lid -- saw it last year at Monteagle. Congrats, Mr. P! :)

Cheers,
JtL

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
XPLSV said:
I returned from Afghanistan to sort through my auction win arrivals...here's one of the five bowlers I won (I was on a roll, I guess...but Wifey didn't scold me;) ). Hadn't worn a bowler out in public before...didn't get any strange looks...did get a couple compliments. Stetson, Excellent Quality.
bljbowler.jpg

Bernie

WELCOME BACK!! :eusa_clap :)

I had about 30 hats waiting for me when I got back from Iraq and it was fun to go through them. Enjoy the hats and get some R&R!!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Scott Wood said:
That sure is sweet!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

+1. With all of these great photos of you and Douglas, I'm officially in the market for a lightweight heather.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Nice lid, rlk. But this photo says brown heather to me. Is it really blue? Is it the reverse vintage Knox Premier syndrome? :eek: :D
It is difficult to get it to look right on the screen, but there are no brown fibers at all. The inside crown detail gives a better idea. The fur colors appear to be gray, med. blue, blue green and what may be a touch of pink(or its red in my eyes).
4497610297_c1a2ab0044.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
It is difficult to get it to look right on the screen, but there are no brown fibers at all. The inside crown detail gives a better idea. The fur colors appear to be gray, med. blue, blue green and what may be a touch of pink(or its red in my eyes).

Cool. :eusa_clap

bolthead

Nice One.....

mayserwegener said:
Here is the modern Stetson Whippet straw I picked up a the outlet. It has a narrower ribbon than the standard model. I have no idea how it came about but a very nice hat for $39.00.

4497693383_ceeba74107_b.jpg
Nice Lids today fellas.......but I'm really liking this whippet more and more each time I see it. :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore