Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Posting for Colby Jack, he is wearing his VS I believe it is Natural.:eusa_clap

cj.jpg

Mr E Train

One Too Many

jporgeck

Familiar Face
Joshbru3 said:
I've got my Vintage Grey Dobbs on today. I just got it a couple of days ago and steamed the brim so it would stay just like I like it. I think the brim swoop looks pretty good. What do you guys think? The hat has a 2 1/8 inch brim, but Ive really been wondering how I would look in a hat with a bigger brim than that. Maybe a 2 5/8 or bigger. I dunno.

JoshinDobbs-1.jpg

Nice looking hat. I would have never guessed that was a 2 1/8 brim. Must be the swoop. I'm sure you'd look great in a wider brim. I prefer them myself.

Big_e

Practically Family
Great hat Mr E Train! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I wore my boater today with a polo shirt and cargo shorts. Really slumming it.
Ernest

Mr E Train said:
Warm and sunny today, so I figured I'd try out my new Ponte Rialto boater. Taking a cue from mayserwegener and his Homburg/Nat Nast shirt combos, I did the boater/Cubavera shirt combo.

041310b.jpg

I had to do a little work on it before it was ready to wear out because when I bought it in the store (The Executive Shop in Atlanta), the brim was curled up a little in the back and the guy in the store tried to straighten it out by hand without using steam. It was the last one they had in the right size, and I really liked it, so I bought it anyway, knowing I could fix it later pretty easily. I told them I'd steam it and straighten it myself, but I noticed after I bought it that it was a little weak and "bendy" in the area where he he tried to straighten it. Yikes. That concerned me, but I was still confident that I could fix it.

I just took our regular old household steam iron and pressed and steamed the brim in the problem area (making sure not to scorch it, of course) and put it on the counter with a paperweight on it while it dried. Then I just sprayed on some Kahl hat stiffener and let that dry, and voila, it was tip top again, straight as an arrow and stiff as a board. I wrote the store an email letting them know that if that situation ever comes up again, just steam the doggone thing.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Joshbru3 said:
I've got my Vintage Grey Dobbs on today. I just got it a couple of days ago and steamed the brim so it would stay just like I like it. I think the brim swoop looks pretty good. What do you guys think? The hat has a 2 1/8 inch brim, but Ive really been wondering how I would look in a hat with a bigger brim than that. Maybe a 2 5/8 or bigger. I dunno.

JoshinDobbs-1.jpg
1935 ad
fa8d_1.JPG

navarre

Vendor
Posted this in new hats earlier, but just about to step out in it so I thought I would throw it in the ring here as well. Bought this the other day. Pretty dirty and a couple moth bites. None of the the damage went all the way through, so I reblocked it inside out. Started as a 6 7/8 now it fits as a 7 1/4 long oval.
blue2.jpg

Reworked the original ribbon inside out as well. Working on dying some cord to put the wind trolly back on as the original was to short. To excited to wait to show it off though.
blue1.jpg

blue3.jpg

Hope no one will hold it againts me that the cavanah edge is now upsidedown, but the color inside was to good to resist

Mr E Train

One Too Many
That's outstanding, navarre, the color, the diamond crease, the proportions...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

chippy

New in Town
navarre said:
Posted this in new hats earlier, but just about to step out in it so I thought I would throw it in the ring here as well. Bought this the other day. Pretty dirty and a couple moth bites. None of the the damage went all the way through, so I reblocked it inside out. Started as a 6 7/8 now it fits as a 7 1/4 long oval.
Reworked the original ribbon inside out as well. Working on dying some cord to put the wind trolly back on as the original was to short. To excited to wait to show it off though.
blue1.jpg

Hope no one will hold it againts me that the cavanah edge is now upsidedown, but the color inside was to good to resist

great looking hat and a tremendous job! i love it!

so you bought a new sweat, as well a liner too or did you reuse the liner? did you have your own block (wooden?) to work with or manage in some way with hat stretcher or some other way? cant help but say how impressed i am with this hat and the work..inspiration++:)

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
navarre said:

Great re-work on that hat, sir. It is a great shade of blue and your work on it looks very skillful.

navarre

Vendor
chippy said:
great looking hat and a tremendous job! i love it!

so you bought a new sweat, as well a liner too or did you reuse the liner? did you have your own block (wooden?) to work with or manage in some way with hat stretcher or some other way? cant help but say how impressed i am with this hat and the work..inspiration++:)

Thanks Chippy. Been making hats for a bit, so I have a good set of blocks growing. This is a full reblock and flange job, new sweat and liner. Did keep the original hatters bow though. First time I've thought to turn a vintage inside out. This will change my whole perception when looking at hats now.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
It's a good look with that Dobbs but I think that your face could easily take a wider brim. 2 3/4" or even 2 7/8" brims wouldn't look out of place at all. I know that those larger brims can be intimidating at first, but you'll get used to it pretty quick.

Thanks for the encouragement Mario. I think I'm going to look for a 2 3/4 on ebay and see if I can get the feel for it. I'm sure your right, I should be able to get used to it pretty quick. I mean after all, its just half and inch more.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
CircuitRider said:
Looks good. They have been running "Highway Patrol" with Broderick Crawford on the Retro TV channel. Looks like the one he wore in the show in the late 50's.

Thanks CircuitRider. I watch a lot of vintage tv shows, but Ive never seen "Highway Patrol," I gotta check it out. Ive been watching a lot of the "Untouchables" lately with Robert Stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart