Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
[...] I noticed it was a particularly nasty looking spider, using the edge of the brim of my hat as a jump-off point to start a new web! That wide brim kept that thing far from my face lol. Imagine if I had been wearing the Moorelite with its 2.25'' brim :eeek:.

The spider would have still been 2 inches rather than 3 from your face. And who's to say? Maybe he was attracted to the darker color and/or larger landing platform in the first place. ;)

Brando11

A-List Customer
Rodkins, those are two great hats! I tried on a new tawny Whippet yesterday and almost went with it, but your Nostalgia is giving me serious second thoughts-
Does it hold a crease well?

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Rodkins, those are two great hats! I tried on a new tawny Whippet yesterday and almost went with it, but your Nostalgia is giving me serious second thoughts-
Does it hold a crease well?
Thanks. It's held the crease I put in it when I first got it, but it's a little bit tougher to crease than most of my vintage hats. Another lounger put one in a pork pie and it seemed to hold that. I would describe the felt as very soft and thicker than most.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Work of art

bfcaa599.jpg

Neophyte

Rodkins, I have to echo Hatophile's statement: you have some awesome hats!
Hatophile, that Borsalino looks incredible. I can almost feel it. Is it as soft as it looks

lol Zetwal, you might be right! Then again, at the angle I wear the 2'' brim, the spider would probably have landed right on my nose lol!

Johnny, it may just be that your new hat is so different from what I usually see in the Hall of Fame thread, but I think that is one of the coolest Art creations I've seen! Congrats to you and kudos to Art :eusa_clap.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Wow that is a big improvement. I really like the thin ribbon.

I gotta say, Rusty -- that modification on the 1912 is killer. That hat is YOU. Nice job by the Major.

Unless I miss my guess, it looks like you shortened that brim into 2 1/2" -- 2 5/8" territory, true?

Cheers,
JtL

I like that VS, Johnny C, looks like a cross between a cowboy and safari hat. Very good for outdoor activities I would guess.

By the way, Neo, the Borso is very soft. I didn't like the crease I had, so last night I steamed it out and re-creased it, you cannot tell the current crease is not original, not due to my skill, due to the malleability of the felt. But that's a Borso for you.

Last edited:

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
That Dobbs 20 shows its quality well in your photo Jimmy.

Thanks, Alan (and buler, and gents). When it comes to the wide-ribbons, I think that a Dobbs 20 (along with its cousins made by Cavanagh, Dunlap, etc.) is just a classic-looking vintage lid. I love the thickness and feel of the felt on these.

Cheers,
JtL

Neophyte

By the way, Neo, the Borso is very soft. I didn't like the crease I had, so last night I steamed it out and re-creased it, you cannot tell the current crease is not original, not due to my skill, due to the malleability of the felt. But that's a Borso for you.

I have got to get me a Borso sometime :D!

johnnycanuck

Thanks Neophyte and Hatophile. Here is another view from this morning. Art called it a crossover and I have had it for a year and a half now. I wear this hat more than any other hat I own.

7f31cf4a.jpg

Johnny

fmw

One Too Many
Red eye is caused by the light from the flash gun reflecting back from the back of the eye. The red color comes from the blood vessels in the eyeball. To eliminate it you need to stop using the built in flash unit because it is located too close to the lens. Pros don't use on-camera flash. Or, if they do, the flash unit can be aimed so that the ythey can bounce the flash from a wall or ceiling. The idea is to get the light reflecting back from the camera to miss the lens. As an alternative you can shoot outdoors or, better, get a flash gun that isn't attached physically (only electrically) to the camera.

It is possible to remove the red eye with post photo digital processing. But that won't get rid of the deer-in-the-headlights look you get from on-camera flash. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace