Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P. & C. Habig Camber

5665769891_d85c2b5e59_b.jpg

Another beautiful brown, Steve.

For me it was black today... the Motor's fit stays put in a serious wind. Here it rests on my monitor, 80 years it's junior, while I'm hard at work.

motor2_042811.jpg

This is based on the fact, that if you look at all the hats that Steve has posted and all of the hats that many of the loungers have posted, the long thread stitching on the top part of the ribbon is absent on almost all of the hats accept for a small percentage. Like I said, I only have a couple hats from a very short time frame that have that kind of long stitching on the upper part of the ribbon. Ive looked through a good amount of threads and still have seen very few. I'm assuming that particular style of practice was short lived based on that. I could be wrong, it was just an observation.

I was told by a German hatter friend that the thread should actually be removed. He said it's there to keep the ribbon from being damaged if the hats are stacked. I think he might be correct but I am not going to remove mine. I believe Mayser is the only company still doing it today but there could be others.

Modern Mayser City Finale with stiched upper part of the ribbon.

4330067881_fc6c58759e_b.jpg

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Interesting fact, Steve. I've always wondered if the outside stitching served a purpose other than aesthetics. I've owned 2 Borsalinos with this characteristic. One I sold to a fellow lounger and the other one is my rollable.

5.jpg

IMG_0982-1.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Nice, D'Guy! Looks like a pretty good weave count on that.

Aureliano and Steve, I had an old G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro with that extra thread. I always thought it was an odd (and sloppy) way of attaching the ribbon. Thanks for the info.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Windy City Redux, Part2

The Pittsfield Building, left, and One Prudential Plaza, the tallest buildings in Chicago at the time of their completion, in 1927 and 1955, respectively. View from our room on the 21st floor of Palmer House.

Contrary to our usual arrangement with me planning our activities, Saturday morning we shuffled off to the Gold Coast area of Chicago and the Mag Mile for something my wife arranged, and of which I was somewhat skeptical. The Shops At 900 North Michigan Avenue.

Yes, that's right, we were dragged off on a Chicago Chocolate Tour of the Mag Mile and Gold Coast.

Walking down Oak Street, past the innumerable boutiques. Only the allure of chocolate and our tour guide Heidi prevented Lydia from dashing into Hermes and Prada, for which my pocketbook was thankful.

The contemporary towers of Michigan Avenue dwarfed the beautiful but anachronistic buildings along Oak Street.

Across Oak Street from our stop at Sarah's, the dormers on the roof of Graff Diamonds caught my eye. The Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch at Sarah's was exceptionally good.

Seemingly always in the shadow of The John Hancock Center, the sixth tallest building the USA, but only the fourth tallest in Chicago.

Who knew that the humble cupcake can have such variety, and could be taken to such heights of popularity until we visited the boutique cupcake purveyor, Patty Rothman at her More Cupcakes. The Chocolate Chocolate and Bacon flavors we tried were scrumptious. My skepticism was starting to fade fast.

We continued to eat our away along the Mag Mile.

Fresh croissant in the kitchen of Chef Renaud Hendricx at his Hendrickx Belgian Bread Crafters. Their Liege Waffles, Belgian Country Bread are wonderful, and the Belgian truffles...heavenly. Chef Renaud and his wife Dominique are passionate about their pastries and chocolates, and their labor of love is evident in every bite we took.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Sconce outside of the Fourth Presbyterian Church Of Chicago.

Built in 1912, on what was then Pine Street, the church is now surrounded by the skyscrapers and bustle of Michigan Avenue.

The cloister offered a beautiful and strangely quiet sanctuary from the cacophony just outside.

Paying rapt attention to Heidi, instead of looking constantly for photo-ops.

Easter ribbons in the brilliant sunshine that finally made its appearance.

Always taking pictures and lagging behind the group.

Dazzling array of truffles and chocolates at Teuscher Chocolates.

The Chicago Water Tower, second oldest water tower in America, built in 1869. The inspiration behind the signature architecture of the White Castle Restaurant chain...seriously.

Heidi, our guide, was a former second-grade teacher, and no doubt she must have felt that I behaved like one of her inattentive second graders on the tour. Actually, we quite enjoyed each other's company and she took many a photo for us. Here, at Argo Tea, the latest craze to sweep Chicago. The Chocolate Chai was quite excellent.

I really did pay attention on the tour.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Weighing in at over seven tons apiece, the pair of Great Clocks stand watch over State Street on either end of the former Marshall Field & Co. Department Store.

The Great Granite Pillars in front of the State Street entrance of the landmark department store, now a Macy's flagship. Erected in 1902 and standing 50 feet tall, they are exceeded in height only by the pillars of the Temple Of Karnak in Egypt!

The magnificent Tiffany ceiling, installed in 1907. It is the largest unbroken example of Tiffany Favrile glass in the world, composing of 1.6 million pieces.

On our way back to Palmer House, a view of the Chicago Public Library, built in 1897. The Prudential Tower in the background.

Corner of Wabash & Washington, by the elevated train platform. Trump Tower, America's second tallest building, in the distance.

Change of attire, and hat, for our evening engagement.

Walking the few steps to Symphony Center for the concert.

Under strong natural light my Dobbs 20 takes on an almost cobalt appearance.

Orchestra Hall at Symphony Center. We were in attendance to see and hear one of our favorite violinists, Leonidas Kavakos, perform the Sibelius Violin Concerto with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

The 1904, Daniel Burnham designed hall is extraordinarily beautiful and curvaceous, but acoustically imperfect.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Leonidas gave an incredibly introspective and thoughtful performance of the Sibelius, for which he was rewarded with an unusual round of applause following all three movements of the concerto. He reciprocated by dazzling us with a breathtaking encore of the Ysaye Solo Sonata No. 4. It was a sublime moment. Refreshments afterwards in the Grainger Ballroom.

With the evening's music still in our ears and on our minds, we returned to our room at the Palmer House, tired, but immensely satisfied with our memorable day.

To be continued, in Part 3...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters