Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I'm not so sure. Many of have too many hats, and many of us have way too many.

All things being equal, most of us would minimize our "collections" only in response to some grave disaster. That in itself could certainly be a living nightmare. But the idea of happily doing with less may in some cases be a mature view. At any rate, I for one am willing to entertain the possibility.

Consider this, even if we enjoy owning many hats, might it sometimes be healthy to restrain oneself from buying-buying-buying just because it feels good to scratch-scratch-scratch that itch?

I understand and accept that I will be in the minority here, but I still think it's a fair point. The photo that alanfgag just posted does sum it up nicely.

I'm with you Zetwal. Although it might seem that I have been buying a lot lately, I have been selling just as much. I have a hat shelf that holds all my hats, they total 28 now (most of them gray, yeah yeeah yeah lol) One comes, one goes. I see people around here buying so much and I can totally relate to that as, at some point, I had well over 100 hats. Too many and I was starting to feel bad about myself and my wife was starting to worry that I was turning into a hoarder. I also realize that I want to wear my hats. Other people might be collectors and that is another category. A hat sitting around makes me sad and I try to fin it a noggin. Minimizing it to this number was certainly cathartic. Now I just want a gray example with cav edge, gentlemen. Help out your friend, would you? lol :D

Last edited:

jbucklin

Practically Family
I did that with guitars awhile back. I sold things I swore I'd never sell. Felt like a good, healthy purging.

As for hats....well I'm not quite there yet! ;)

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I'm with you Zetwal. Although it might seem that I have been buying a lot lately, I have been selling just as much. I have a hat shelf that holds all my hats, they total 28 now (most of them gray, yeah yeeah yeah lol) One comes, one goes. I see people around here buying so much and I can totally relate to that as, at some point, I had well over 100 hats. Too many and I was starting to feel bad about myself and my wife was starting to worry that I was turning into a hoarder. I also realize that I want to wear my hats. Other people might be collectors and that is another category. A hat sitting around makes me sad and I try to fin it a noggin. Minimizing it to this number was certainly cathartic. Now I just want a gray example with cav edge, gentlemen. Help out your friend, would you? lol :D
I just did a count from my fedora log spreadsheet and found about 15 that I think could part with if I really dug deep.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Oh boy... I'd like to think I'm a "wearer" too.
I would actually love to downsize, until I start thinking about the dollar amount I'd be likely to receive versus "what if one day I'm in the mood for this one down the road?"
There are other hats I know I'm not likely to wear, but they're either custom or too neat to give up right away.

I've been wearing my Falcon Park today. Not really interested in giving that one up willingly!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I did that with guitars awhile back. I sold things I swore I'd never sell. Felt like a good, healthy purging.

As for hats....well I'm not quite there yet! ;)

I have a Taylor 310 that "chose me" about 10 years ago, and am constantly battling with selling it. It's gorgeous... but possibly too big for me! I just love the tone, though.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I have a Taylor 310 that "chose me" about 10 years ago, and am constantly battling with selling it. It's gorgeous... but possibly too big for me! I just love the tone, though.

I did buy a Benedetto archtop though, which I will never sell.

Interestingly, and to avoid getting too OT, I recently traded a Takamine Acoustic/Electric Classical for another guitar and enough cash to pay for my last VS hat!

IMG_1929.jpg

That is what I call a "signature" lid for sure Alejandro. You really could be done buying hats with that one!!!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
That is what I call a "signature" lid for sure Alejandro. You really could be done buying hats with that one!!!

Thanks, Tom. I actually will be once I find the gray one with cav edge that I'm looking for! :eeek: There's one spot free on my hat shelf waiting for it.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If we didn't buy and sell these nice vintage hats and we just kept them all To our selfs ,then it would be a lot less exciting in the classifieds that's for sure, besides how many of these beauty's will we take with us into our next incarnations?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Mike, John, Hatto, Lefty, Manfred - thanks for the Artlite comments guys. I love this light felt, feels like a hat I've been wearing forever and only a few weeks old.

Mike - nice C&K GP style this morning

John - I like your 3X and that 3 ply ribbon. I have a little project on the go that is going to use a 6 ply ribbon which will be interesting

Brando - can always rely on a nice Campdraft

Ale - love the "33" are you already planning the "44"?

Alan - nice meadow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic