Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Too Many
Ah, Tumwater Tuesday.

Steel TumH2O today

smugshot3404446-L.jpg
Nice hat, l like the high crown, looks fine to me ¡¡¡¡

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That steel Tumwater is beautiful, David! and I sooo dig that black cherry. Two home runs in a row!

I also love the clean look of that Optimized playboy, Alan C. +1 on the great colors.

Yesterday, Mallory "Frankenbowler" to work. 5000 school children warranted leaving the "good ones" at home... just in case.
003copyt.jpg

Today, my appetizing Hat Wellington in a delicate pastry colored shell for breakfast. My expression accounts for not being too excited about the freezing rain and approaching snow storm...
0042copy.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
David, stunning Tumwater. He looks really good.

Jeff, very nice choice. I hope the kids have no fear, to see a Frankenbowler.

Robert, nice Borsalino Day for you! Both looks really good!

AlanC, great combi, the VS , superb!

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
Well, I said I'd let you know how my first foray into Fedora wearing went so here we go.

My girlfriend had suggested we go up to London to take part in a guided walk. We arrived early and had a look around the streets local to Covent Garden station. I asked Jenni, my girlfriend, to snap an image of me before the walk began.

faberge_egg_50.jpg

There I am, stood next to one of 200 Fabergé eggs that have been placed in London by way of a competition for charity. The walk started shortly after that. I was already aware of a few glances in my direction but I didn't feel too self-concious. That is until a lady in the group did a very obvious look up and down :D Mid way through the walk, the guide said 'Do you always look this smart?' to which Jenni and I said in unision 'Yes'. The rest of the walk went without incident.

After the walk we had lunch in the Bank Of England pub just near the Courts of Justice. Very nice it was too. Upon leaving I was fussing with my hair and caught the attention of several people on the top of a tour bus. I gave them a friendly wave and got a few back. We made our way to London Bridge and then walked home. By that time I'd taken off my overcoat since it was quite hot on the train. I did don my Fedora shortly after leaving the station. It felt odd walking down my local high street dressed to the nines until we bumped into an aquaintance of mine who declared 'My, you're looking very suave!' to which I thanked him.

All in all I'm happy with how most of the London populous plain ignored me and several times I forgot I was even wearing anything on my head. The next step is to get the locals used to the sight of me wandering around be-hatted.

Thanks again for a wonderful forum where I can be inspired and educated.

T Rick

Practically Family
David, the Tumwater is always a delight.

Jeff, two great choices and looks!

Steve, Welcome to the Lounge! (Followed this post over from the other on your first outing). Looking great, one thing that at least over here gets an extra bit of curiosity from the non-hatted, is the sharp dressing (or more often in my case, even just nice hat) with the long hair (mine is about the same length as yours, often worn tied back). I actually enjoy the looks and few comments I get on the hats (always positive so far). And some of the older folks I run into just seem to be more at ease with me than they would hatless, as if they know they will be properly respected. I like that too.

I may have missed it, but what make and model is your hat?

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
I may have missed it, but what make and model is your hat?

Hi T Rick Thanks for the welcome. I believe you're right about the respect thing. I love to dress up now but until recently, didn't really bother. I have gotten tired of looking slovernly so I'm trying to weed out old shirts and jeans from the majority of my wardrobe (still have to retain a few for working situations) and replace them with new and nice.

The hat I'm wearing is a Jaxon C Crown. Size 57 - 7 1/8 I'm still not sure it's a good fit despite padding the hatband out with webbing. It almost sits on my ears so it won't afford any tilt. What do you think, should it wear higher?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Perry. I am wearing another Pendleton Bard Shirt. It seemed like the right thing to wear to the gym as we are expceting snow/sleet mixture this evening and early morning. This way I am prepared if I get caught in the worst of the weather. The hat does go well with the shirt and Patagonia canvas work pants I chose this afternoon.

I am anxious to see you new Hitchhicker. The pics posted by Art give the artistic point of view. I like to see what it looks on a real person. It gives the hat a definate personality. I can not wait to see the personality and domensions of your new fedora sir.

Best, Eric -

Thanks Perry. I am wearing another Pendleton Bard Shirt. It seemed like the right thing to wear to the gym as we are expceting snow/sleet mixture this evening and early morning. This way I am prepared if I get caught in the worst of the weather. The hat does go well with the shirt and Patagonia canvas work pants I chose this afternoon.

I am anxious to see you new Hitchhicker. The pics posted by Art give the artistic point of view. I like to see what it looks on a real person. It gives the hat a definate personality. I can not wait to see the personality and domensions of your new fedora sir.

Best, Eric -
Real person is debatable, but I will be sure to get some pics with it on when it arrives. What color is your hat and ribbon, lovely combo!

T Rick

Practically Family
Destinys Agent said:
...The hat I'm wearing is a Jaxon C Crown. Size 57 - 7 1/8 I'm still not sure it's a good fit despite padding the hatband out with webbing. It almost sits on my ears so it won't afford any tilt. What do you think, should it wear higher?

faberge_egg_50.jpg
Very hard to say from just one photograph, but in the one you posted it looks fine to me. Much easier for you to judge, try wearing it more and see if it feels more "correct". A trip to a Hatter where you could try on several different sizes may also be helpful, after a time you will get to know your size well (I for example am a 7 1/8).

Might also try measuring your head with a Tailor's tape (cloth tape measure). In "standard" terms (inches), I am a 22 3/8 (57 in Metric sized hats such as most Akubras, though I'll order a 58 for the Fed IV as it runs small), which puts me solidly between most companies M and L, but I usually get by with a Medium in hats sized this way (I prefer the fitted hats in 7 1/8).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points