Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Holidays 2012/2013: "The Root Of Evil" (PART 4, FINALE)

The first day of 2013 dawned with a frigid air temperature of -9F. This was to be the kids' biggest day of shooting during their Winter break, with a very important and substantial outdoor scene in the snow. I delayed filming until late morning, when the temperature had risen to -2F. A Northeast wind was blowing briskly, however, and wind-chill readings were in the abysmal -15F range.

Maureen getting ready in front of the mirror.

Eric, trying on my Wormser Supreme Quality, "The Versatile".

D.J., in my Stetson 4x Beaver conversion.

Josh, sporting my Courtney Hats-Harry Levinson Royalten Quality, "Controlled Brim".

Heading out into the bitter cold.

Dragging our cameras and equipment behind us on a pair of sleds.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Thomas, as the new antagonist Alfred Kensington, in a Royal Stetson Homburg.

Albert, playing one of Kensington's henchmen, wearing my Warner & Warner Beaver Twenty.

Joe, as another henchman, topped with my OPTIMO Natural Beaver Belly.

Kids not in individual scenes operated the third camera, used for behind-the-scenes and blooper footage, while I switched between my still camera, our big, main camera, and the second unit camera mounted on the Glidecam. Maureen is seen here capturing some behind-the-scenes footage as a shot is set up.

With their voluminous hair not exactly period correct, the boys all needed mega-sized lids, and so Eric wore my VS Silk Finish, Granite. I will have to enforce a shorter, Ivy-League haircut for the boys for subsequent indoor scenes with close-ups.

Haaken, wearing the warmest hat out there.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

D.J., reprising his role of Emile De Grave.

The strain of exposure to such cold temperatures is already etched on Josh's face.

Ryan, moving quickly to the next scene.

Applying gum adhesive for the mustache.

It was impossible to keep the mustaches properly groomed in the cold.

Working with Maureen on the proper handling of her pistols, in actuality vintage all metal non-gun military ID models.

Setting up the tripod for the big camera.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Hypothermia and frostbite are not just words. I brought the group in for a welcomed lunch break, and Lydia had hot pizza and hot chocolate ready and waiting to help us thaw out.

Sharing a lighter moment.

Choreographing and rehearsing an important scene prior to heading out again.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I took a quick pic of my hat before I left the gym about an hour ago. The hat laid on my jacket on my desk chair the whole day. I got to the gym before 7:00am this morning. It was really cold and started quickly and never left the gym.

IMG_4225-M.jpg

Home and waiting for a late dinner of salmon and wild rice to finish baking, Eric -

I took a quick pic of my hat before I left the gym about an hour ago. The hat laid on my jacket on my desk chair the whole day. I got to the gym before 7:00am this morning. It was really cold and started quickly and never left the gym.

IMG_4225-M.jpg

Home and waiting for a late dinner of salmon and wild rice to finish baking, Eric -

Great hat Eric and I hope you enjoyed the Salmon and wild rice. I wish I could start eating healthier.
Best regards
CCJ

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Way to welcome the new moon Al!

Thanks, Perry! ;)

A 7.5 boater! Nice score :eusa_clap.

Love that Optimo natural, gorgeous and suits you to a T. BTW, where'd that Tungsten go? I haven't seen it in forever.

Thank you, Alexander, and your hat memory is most impressive! I wore my Tungsten OPTIMO in December, and posted several photos of it here in this very thread. I have always liked your Bone Moorelite. Such a nice lid on you. Great to see you posting, too. I know how busy you must be with school, but hope you will post more often, like you used to do. Do NOT shrink the pics as I like 'em BIG!

Great boater, Al! Who is your photographer?

Aaron

Many thanks, Aaron! I am blessed to have, at any given moment, at least one and typically two very skilled photographers at the ready, who are by now used to my penchant for hat portraiture.

Bought a new trench for upcoming travels. Testing it out on a cold afternoon dog walk.

1950's Stetson St. Regis

Trying to decide which couple of hats to take with me and which ones go into storage. Very difficult decision!

Al, as the others have said, that boater really shines. Is it as comfortable as a felt?

Tough call, but I would give the St. Regis the nod, but then again I am just a bit biased in this regard. :) Bon Voyage, my friend, and be sure to post some pics from your travels to FEDORAS AFIELD. Thanks for the nod on my boater. It is labelled 7-1/2, but actually fits on the large side of 7-1/2, which suits my noggin perfectly. It seems unlikely, I know, for a stiff straw hat to feel comfortable, but they knew what they were doing back then. A lightweight straw boater that fits well and has a soft, thick and wide, conforming sweatband feels nearly as satisfying as a fine Montecristi, and that is saying a lot.

AL, there are few things finer than a fine boater that fits. Light as a feather. 64 here yesterday morning, but no straws in the forecast today.

I would heartily agree! This Malrov 'Feather Weight' has a still super-soft and conforming, wide sweatband which contributes in no small measure to its comfort. Our heatwave tomorrow will see temps in the mid 30s, so it will be some time before we will be able to don our straws, methinks...

Hi guys...haven't had much time lately but been lurking when possible.
The hats and photos just keep getting better.

Al could have taken his new boater for a nice stroll on the beach here today.
I started the day out with a stetson felt light grey stingy. Came back home about noon and switched to a fedora style black Dobbs milan for the afternoon.

Winter or not....81 degrees today....a record going back over 110 years.

Dobbs Milan

YIKES !! sorry for the enormous scary photo....me and Photobucket are not getting along.

You lucky man, you! Great looking Milan.

Today, I wore my newly aquired 1930's/40's Knox (again), that seemed to have been rarely worn... It has a smaller brim than I am used to, but I really like it!

Splendid old Knox, Justin.

Putting it on the line to get the shot, Al! :)

I love your Optimo today.
Happy National Hat Day.

For me, 7X Clear Beaver Quality, Mode Edge fedora style.

Thanks, and for our sake, David, don't put it too far over the line, would ya?! Kidding aside, it IS about getting the shot, and your daily pics are like that cup of coffee in the morning. Your 7XCBME is indescribably beautiful.

Another fine lid and daily narrative, Eric.

National Hat Day & TAR Tuesday...Biltmore Fawn Open Road....

Very nice, Tom. Love the chinstrap, too! ;)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KThank you, Alexander, and your hat memory is most impressive! I wore my Tungsten OPTIMO in December, and posted several photos of it here in this very thread. I have always liked your Bone Moorelite. Such a nice lid on you. Great to see you posting, too. I know how busy you must be with school, but hope you will post more often, like you used to do. Do NOT shrink the pics as I like 'em BIG!)

Thank you Al. That Tungsten color is gorgeous, and that hat was one of the hats that inspired me to greatly consider a custom when I was relatively new to the Lounge.

My lack of posting has less to do with school and more to do with my small rotation of hats. For the longest while I had only the Moorelite and the 3X Resistol and I simply tired of reposting. It got to the point where I just krpt stock photos of each hat lol. Also, the 7 3/8 Ebay pool as of late has been small and competitive.

Still, I did put a lot of posting in there at the front end, and after several months of nearly no activity besides lurking, I still have an average posts per day of 3.3 lol.

Anyway, I'll be getting my Buckaroo western custom back soon, my hat pool is once again on the rise. Additionally, this is my last semester of college. All things considered I suspect y'all will be seeing more of me in the future, for better or worse. Until then, I'm content to see all the great hats posted here, like your hats, David's 7X CB, CaseChopper's Campdraft, Mystic's pugged Dobbs (awesome), Justin's hommie snd Eric's hat (VS?). Great show last couple of days everyone, and Happy Hat Day!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen