Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AnA, that conversion is awesome, looks great with that tie!

EDIT: Lauro, I love the swoop you've got in that Strat.

In Athens participating in a graduate "recruit-fest" at UGA over the weekend. Since it had just arrived, I chose the Akubra Campdraft, TFL Edition. I decided to try a telescope with this one. Pardon the "staring into the sun" expression lol.

8461897439_5fced15c38.jpg

Last edited:

Denton

One of the Regulars
Hey there! I figure it used to be one, as if I look at the brim, it looks to have a cut mark, and the stiffness of the brim + the brim size match that of my other homburg from the same time period!

Hm. I don't know, Justin. You could be right. Personally, I don't believe that it was ever a homburg. The brim looks to me like a raw edge, and I don't see any marks indicating that it was ever bound. I also wouldn't say that the felt has the stiffness of a homburg; I think it's just really nice felt and shellac. The proportions are comparable to other Stetson fedoras that I've seen from the period.

Anyway, if you ever get a chance to show the hat to someone with more experience, I'd be curious to know what the story is.

Sorry to hijack this thread with my questions! I don't post photos here, but I always enjoy seeing the beautiful hats that other FL members are posting.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up

If it was a fedora, I highly doubt it would have this heavy amount of shellac, which gives it the same brim stiffness as my Homburgs. Also, if you look in the conversion thread, Homburgs that lost the brim binding(?) gain the same profile dimensions and brim shape all around. I will do a comparison when I am home, but I am 99% positive that the special was a homburg when it left the factory, but someone trimmed it down. It doesn't bother me though.

Edit: Yes there are, Alan, but they are not the greatest. I will PM you some better ones when I am back home.

Last edited:

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Wearing my Northwest Hats conversion. Mike Miller did a great job re-finishing the felt on this.

More details and pics can be found in the Northwest Hats thread...
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?66155-Northwest-Hats-Eugene-Ore.&p=1587111#post1587111

94F5A388.jpg

I love that hat. great proportions and looks great on you. Be sure you carry some clean cotton gloves with you when you drive the DeLo. That way when you're pushing it you won't get handprints on the stainless steel.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
AnA - I agree. I usually wear a flat cap in my DeLorean. Still a fantastic looking car, even if John DeLorean turned out to be a total crook. I do like your NWH

Neo - great to see you back in Bluegrass!

Lauro - that is one bitchin Stratoliner!

Nice looking Misto, Alan although I prefer the one that you sold I think.

Caren and I were checking out some of the local antique joints this afternoon. I was wearing a Whippet and we found this old safari hat that I thought looked great on her.

We didn't buy it, the moths had been feasting.

me-caz_antique-L.jpg

RBH

Bartender
My wife and I were doing some wedding planning this weekend for our daughter.
But we made time for a little Fleamarket hunting.
While we did not get anything, here are a few photos of some interesting items.
My Buckaroo Beaver Brown was a fitting hat to hunt in.

fleam1.jpg

I ran across this old hat box.
Empty of course....

fleam2.jpg

A couple of hats.

fleam3.jpg

A Bailey and an old Stetson western.

fleam4.jpg

fleam5.jpg

An old phonograph.

fleam6.jpg

fleam7.jpg

And last an old pay phone. I had never seen a desk top pay phone before.

fleam8.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Gung hay fat choy!
20130210_115927_zps3539d6e3.jpg

Wore my Cavanagh Homburg to dim sum this morning with my dad and relatives in from Hong Kong. Today is the first day of the lunar new year as well.

Monte

A-List Customer
Manfred, Great hat and coat too
Rlk that Homburg was a great treat to see.
Splintz rockin' that collar. I like my herringbone overcoat with fur collar and I realize it would be hard to come across a vintage one at
the shops I frequent so it is what it is... The hat mystery unfolds!
Totally stunning Misto Alan!
GTDean The Boss of the Plains and the Drover sure remind me of my no name brown conversion from the other day. Glad I didn't ruin my dad's old hat completely
Daizaway Great Hat and pea coat, darn dapper
David good pics with effect. Moths are poor companions!
Jared cool homburg. enjoy your warm climate pics. They have the same effect as drinking a mug of hot chocolate
AnA great Lid and tie combo for sure

birthday_zps1e0984be.jpeg

Monte

A-List Customer
Oh yeah ...the tiny pic is me sitting on the armchair when we got home from the Brazilian Grill.
Had to wear the brown Stetson Deluxe.
I was so groggy this morning. I hope I didn't undo the old saying that you can't have too much of a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner