Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my latest hand made herringbone newsboy
h2_zpsa8c4bd42.jpg

VM

John Galt

Vendor
More of a Stratoliner clone which pre-dates the OR....

This surprises me. I have a 1937 ad for an Open Road (with a mid sized ribbon) and other Stetsons, all in the fedora style. I did not know that the Stratoliner was released that early. I had thought that it came out in the late 40's or early 50's (I have an OPS Strat 1951-1953) with the Jet Age, and perhaps as a fedora alternative to the ranch (Ranch 101 really, I think) style crease that had become popular on the Open Road.

As far as the western crease on this Mainliner, I added that myself because the hat was pretty formless when it arrived, and I thought it matched the style & brim width of the hat pretty well.

John

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Perry - Killer Strat!! You always wear your wide brims so well, man. :thumb: I'm always so inspired to get wider brims when you wear those. And that one was refurbished impeccably.

Sam - Nice Campdraft shots. The ribbon treatment is especially one of a kind.

Robert - A very French straw Mossant. Love the glasses!

TJ - That Royal Stetson will look good on any open road you travel on. Nice hat!

g.d. - I've been waiting for that Lee. Very nice!! Looks perfect on you. Can't wait to see the other one! :)

Alan - Your coffee and cream looks delicious! :tea:

Bruce Wayne - Nice collection! You're ready for the mines. Watch out for the tarantulas!! :spider:

John Galt - That's a fancy Schoble! I like the unlined interior. Beautiful hat today; well done for TAR Tuesday!!

Mike - That Wormser Milan looks way better on you than it did me. Well done, my man!! :yo:

Vampyre - Fabulous details on that newsboy cap. Terrific!!

gtdean48 - Granite rocks!! I hope those vent holes worked well for you today in our humid ATL heat.

John Galt

Vendor
I do have a Mainliner but (unless I am forgetting) have not owned a Vagabond. I've been able to compare a number of other hobo hats... perhaps you can add your thoughts on your Vagabond when it arrives.

Alan:

I thought I had seen a photo of you with a Knox Vagabond "Miracle Felt" somewhere on this site. I must have been thinking of the Mainliner, because I can't find any such photo now.

The only ads I find online for Knox Miracle Felt hats are 1940's (wide brim women's fedora and a coat) and 1958. The later ads are roughly concurrent with Dobbs' Miracle Felt ads, which makes sense, and I believe this hat belongs to that generation. I did note that a very similar hat sold on eBay recently for a low price.

John

John Galt

Vendor
Further to Alan's comment above, I will do a 3-way comparison when the Vagabond Miracle Felt arrives. I also have a Vagabond and Vagabond King. The Vagabond is very similar to my Stetson Playboy, but the Vagabond King much more like my early Dobbs VVL's.

Maybe I will do a listing of all my lightweights with weights & dimensions. Which thread would be best? I've noted a couple of possible choices...

g.durand

One Too Many
g.d. - I've been waiting for that Lee. Very nice!! Looks perfect on you. Can't wait to see the other one! :)

Ask and ye shall receive...
It's in a little bit better shape than the one I was wearing this morning. The sweat band on that one is almost like paper and may soon need to be replaced.

Nice shot of the Savoy by the way.

IMG_2615_zpsbaf20daf.jpg

Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
hats, sir, thanks for allowing me to vicarously experience a late spring week in Northern Vermont. Jeez, it's been over 30 years since I drove through the Franconia Notch and down the Kancamagus Highway (or as I heard it called by some Massachusetts natives, the Kanga-mangus Highway).

... nice hats, too.

Last edited:
True that a wide ribbon model called the Open Road came out in the 30's but disappeared.
The iconic Open Road that last still was not introduced until the late 40's while the thin ribbon, bound edge Stratoliner in lightweight felt was released in the early 40's.
The unlined, lightweight MainLINER is more of a StratoLINER clone for sure...

This surprises me. I have a 1937 ad for an Open Road (with a mid sized ribbon) and other Stetsons, all in the fedora style. I did not know that the Stratoliner was released that early. I had thought that it came out in the late 40's or early 50's (I have an OPS Strat 1951-1953) with the Jet Age, and perhaps as a fedora alternative to the ranch (Ranch 101 really, I think) style crease that had become popular on the Open Road.

As far as the western crease on this Mainliner, I added that myself because the hat was pretty formless when it arrived, and I thought it matched the style & brim width of the hat pretty well.

John

Last edited:

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
I thought I had seen a photo of you with a Knox Vagabond "Miracle Felt" somewhere on this site. I must have been thinking of the Mainliner, because I can't find any such photo now.

The only ads I find online for Knox Miracle Felt hats are 1940's (wide brim women's fedora and a coat) and 1958. The later ads are roughly concurrent with Dobbs' Miracle Felt ads, which makes sense, and I believe this hat belongs to that generation. I did note that a very similar hat sold on eBay recently for a low price.

I bought a Miracle Felt Vagabond a couple months ago, and I did post some pictures of it here, that may have been what you saw. I thought it might be the only one of its kind. It's a neat little hat, softest felt I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou