Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infrared New Hampshire

I brought my small telescope with me (as I always do) on vacation to New Hampshire earlier this month. Alas, very little rainfree time to point it overhead this year... but I did bring it down to the boathouse to experiment with a little infrared photography. The small filter I use is centered at 780nm in the near IR. The eye is almost completely insensitive at this wavelength, but digital cameras for astronomy (I use a scientific webcam for this) which have no IR blocking filter are quite sensitive to this light. These images are made using single frames from short movies, shot at a focal length of 480mm across the lake. There is only one hat visible. Hope you enjoy them anyway!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Last time I was in Denmark, it seemed the Danes had invented more ways to serve herring than any other country :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Looking good everyone! Always a fan of the wide ribbon Campdrafts casechopper.

Should have worn my straw, but it might rain, so today it has been my modified Glen Gray Campdraft with the brim up for a change of pace.

DSCF26841_zpsc174ec80.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Squatter & Vintage Kamehameha Hawaiin Shirt

Thought I'd see how my black Squatter and $5 thrift store find, Vintage Kamehameha , Hawaiian shirt would look together....

s37f.jpg

B.J. Hedberg, interesting take on the Campdraft.

alanfgag, very nice Panama!

casehopper, love the way that Campdraft looks.

hatophile, the Royal Stetson looks great! BTW, did you decide to buy that Hawaiian shirt off ebay? I love the one I'm wearing. Really comfortable.

orangegrad, I love those ORs and Campdrafts. Looking good my friend. I especially like the color.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Manfred – great travel shots. Keep them coming.
David – nice straw that Brent Black.
AL – Thanks for sharing the trip.
Andy - The Campdraft looks good. I wonder what proportion of their production have ended up with forum members?
Perry – Looking good, but I think we deserved more of the tie :)
Sam – Looks good with the wider ribbon. Did you change it yourself?
Alan – beautiful hat with a beautiful band.
The Dane – It’s certainly a unique piece of headwear :)
BJ – I like the conversion – what’s the brim width down to?
TJ – I like that Squatter. Is the brim width pretty similar to the Campdraft?

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Manfred – great travel shots. Keep them coming.
David – nice straw that Brent Black.
AL – Thanks for sharing the trip.
Andy - The Campdraft looks good. I wonder what proportion of their production have ended up with forum members?
Perry – Looking good, but I think we deserved more of the tie :)
Sam – Looks good with the wider ribbon. Did you change it yourself?
Alan – beautiful hat with a beautiful band.
The Dane – It’s certainly a unique piece of headwear :)
BJ – I like the conversion – what’s the brim width down to?
TJ – I like that Squatter. Is the brim width pretty similar to the Campdraft?

Richard - I suspect that a large proportion of Camp Drafts end up on the heads of Forum members. I'm thinking the outback style hats are more popular in Australia - and the more fedora style Akubras are more popular to FL members. I see more Camp Drafts than I do Cattlemans in Lounge posts.

Glad you enjoyed them. The movies are fun to see... shot at a great distance, they have interesting flatness and shallow depth of field. The files are huge, but you can get a sense from this reduced file.

[video=youtube_share;pUvDY2HEbfE]http://youtu.be/pUvDY2HEbfE[/video]

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Andy - yes the more Fedora like styles are definitely more popular.

TJ - thanks the Campdraft isn't far off three inches. I'm tempted by a squatter, but I'll probably wait and see how I get used to the Campdraft's width.

Perry - definitely deserved a shot to itself :D

------------------

After a cool grey weekend the sun came out as I headed back to work. Enjoying the shade in one of Canterbury's parks in a cheap and cheerful Failsworth panama:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Andy - yes the more Fedora like styles are definitely more popular.

TJ - thanks the Campdraft isn't far off three inches. I'm tempted by a squatter, but I'll probably wait and see how I get used to the Campdraft's width.

Perry - definitely deserved a shot to itself :D

------------------

After a cool grey weekend the sun came out as I headed back to work. Enjoying the shade in one of Canterbury's parks in a cheap and cheerful Failsworth panama:

The Squatter's an awesome hat. I'd definitely buy another one...but not in black though... I've really been wanting a Fed IV or a Garrison Indy style hat. BTW, the Panama looks awesome!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Lee blue label Overbrook.

Not visible in the photo, but the wide binding has 4 rows of decorative stitching in addition to the row that holds it on, and the ribbon knot has a neat twist.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Lee blue label Overbrook.

Not visible in the photo, but the wide binding has 4 rows of decorative stitching in addition to the row that holds it on, and the ribbon knot has a neat twist.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1374534154161.jpg‎
Views: 6
Size: 74.4 KB
ID: 2863

Nice!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Wearing my newly cleaned 50's Stetson Stratoliner in silverbelly this evening.

Took some early morning time to start cleaning a new to me Stetson Stratoliner. I have a Stratoliner in silverbelly and have always been worried that I will wear it to an early demise. I picked up this companion silverbelly hat late spring and started today to cleaning it.

IMG_5346-M.jpg

I soaked it in white gas and gently brushed all of "the spots." I use a piece of green glass, from an old telephone pole, to weight parts of the hat in the gas. It air dried thru the afternoon and this evening I have conditioned the leather, creased it and am wearing it as I type on our deck this evening. Sweet. It came out great. Spots came out, dark dirt brushed away. The ribbn has patina marks, and they remain. I do not worry about the patina as I like the charatcer.

Dark so no new pics yet. This old hat will get some wearing. Forum watchers should see it as the weather cools here in Minnesota.

Thanks for letting me share this hat that I am wearing this dark 65'F evening.

Best to all, Eric -

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana