Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sam - I love that Portis

Perry - that's a great looking Stetson even with the blur :)

Viclip - I hadn't considered leaving one open crowned - I'd appreciate a photo in situ.

Charlie - Nice straw, I think we're past straw season over here.

Eric - two fine hats, hard to choose a favourite - strike that - impossible :)

Alan - Nice clear beaver - beautiful felt.

-------------------------------------------

A wet start, but a bit brighter by lunchtime. 50's Woodrow (you see their toppers and bowlers regularly, but I rarely see their trilbies):

Ohhhhh ... lucky man, you ...!!! :D

Due to some unforeseen events I'm in a financially tightly strapped month, so I had to be spectator to this auction. I almost broke my spacebar, when my jaw dropped ... just $10 beyond the very low start price! [sound-of-elderly-gent-smashing-PC-mouse-against-forehead] :eusa_doh:

I noticed that auction... the price was very good. From the ribbon bow, I wondered if a Shudde renovation. I have another like it.

Sharply appointed and hatted as always, Richard. :eusa_clap

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Ohhhhh ... lucky man, you ...!!! :D

Due to some unforeseen events I'm in a financially tightly strapped month, so I had to be spectator to this auction. I almost broke my spacebar, when my jaw dropped ... just $10 beyond the very low start price! [sound-of-elderly-gent-smashing-PC-mouse-against-forehead] :eusa_doh:
Yup...it was in my watch list until I saw the measurement for the 22' circumference in the description, not the 7 1/8 - 7 1/4 they stated. I won't kick myself over this one because it was way too small for me. Aside from that, $60 bucks was definitely a good deal for whoever bought it. Although it's hard to sell a hat under a 7 1/4 for a decent profit....

Gentleman, you're all looking great today. I love the wonderful collection of hats!

DesertDan

One Too Many
Alan, that there is one tall hat! :D
MoK, looking stylish in the trilby.
Casechopper, That Portis porkpie is delish.
Viclip, like the open crown and of course moonstone is a beaut.
Hatophile, one can never go wrong with a thin ribbon.
HatsRme, always great to have an extended "straw season"!
Eric, a great pair of lids with which to tackle the day.

Have a great day Gents!

Yup...it was in my watch list until I saw the measurement for the 22' circumference in the description, not the 7 1/8 - 7 1/4 they stated. I won't kick myself over this one because it was way too small for me. Aside from that, $60 bucks was definitely a good deal for whoever bought it. Although it's hard to sell a hat under a 7 1/4 for a decent profit....

Circumference is very difficult to measure accurately and almost always wrong when stated by eBay sellers who do not specialize in hats. I find I get better results asking the seller for interior LxW dimensions. Stetsons usually hold on to their red labels behind the rear of the sweat and once alerted to the location, most sellers will take a peek for you.

I have paid over $200 for a size 7 Open Road in 7XCB. I own quite a few clear beaver Stetsons from the mid 1950s and earlier. I expect you're right about making a profit on resale, though I haven't sold a one yet. It is a testament to my great restraint of late that I didn't buy this one. :)

Alan, that there is one tall hat! :D

Mostly it is an iPhone illusion. The crown as creased is 4 1/2", peaking to 4 3/4" at the side pinches.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I happen to know the buyer, and he too is in doubt about the size. He owns tons of fine vintage hats and also CBs, but took the chance anyway. We are both 7 1/4's and I too would gladly have taken the chance, had it been next month. It's probably a late 50s, but even if it's a size 7, it should be possible to get the money back after a little cleaning and some steam :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I was watching the 7XCB and was interested at first because the description said it had a Mode Edge. Of course, a glance at the photos shows it is the usual bound edge treatment.

Nice hat and great deal for the lucky buyer.

Our daughter is moving from University housing to an apartment this weekend so I was loading up a U-Haul with furniture and stuff to take down to Philly tomorrow. On a warm day, with multiple thundershowers, this lightweight 40's Stratoliner was just the job!

smugshot_4873222-L.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Andy, Perry; Looking sharp this morning. Perry I do like the jacket sir.

The temp. has risen to 49'F already. Looks to be a great Fall felt hat day in Minnesota. Wearing my 50's Stetson Stratoliner.

IMG_6090-M.jpg

Top of the morning to you, Eric -

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Stetson 3X OR. Size 7

I happen to know the buyer, and he too is in doubt about the size. He owns tons of fine vintage hats and also CBs, but took the chance anyway. We are both 7 1/4's and I too would gladly have taken the chance, had it been next month. It's probably a late 50s, but even if it's a size 7, it should be possible to get the money back after a little cleaning and some steam :)

It's probably a late 50s, but even if it's a size 7, it should be possible to get the money back after a little cleaning and some steam :)
Excellent! I just happen to have a size 7 3X OR that I couldn't even get a nibble on when I tried to sell it on ebay. I'd be more than happy to trade it or sell it to anybody who's interested. It's in excellent condition. The liner is clean. The sweat is still soft and supple. All the stitching is tight and the gross grain ribbon and brim binding are in excellent condition! No mothing, scuffs, anything! Just a real nice OR. Probably 1960's. It's seen very little wear time. I'll even have it steamed and bashed! I'd keep it except it's a size 7. Too small for my 7 1/8 LO head. I'd prefer a trade though... ;)

Gentlemen, you guys are all looking great today! Love the collection of hats! It's pretty chilly here this morning in Central Ohio! Time to break out the Fall clothes and sport a nice cap or fedora!

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Eric - the color on the Stratoliner is extremely nice.

Casechopper - I like black bowlers. Classic. I've been looking for either a homburg or bowler - leaning towards Homburg. Just haven't found a used one yet in my size that looks good to me. I like how they look on everyone. My wife isn't so sure it's the right hat for me, but I think it's worth a try.

Well, all the comments I just attempted to post are gone!?!?! And, I would post if the new and improved uploader would cooperate...

Great hats everybody.

I'll be back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24