Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
O. G., I do like that one.:)
Esther, thank you for the information about Kopka. I emailed the company a few months ago, as I was unable to access the download page with price lists, and a very friendly representative emailed me back price lists for felts and straws. Only problem is that I'm not sure how to order, if the ordering page is part of the site that I can't access. I was interested mostly in the overall quality of their products, and especially the "tissue felt", if it is thin and lightweight for summer hats and also was curious about the vintage hat bodies mentioned but not shown or described. I also was curious if they make the felt or where it comes from if they don't make it. Thanks again for any info you have.

Did I just read... "Vintage Hat Bodies?" :)

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Bob, on the Kopka site vintage felts from France and vintage straws from Italy are mentioned, but not elaborated upon with pics, further descriptions, or prices. They may or may not be offered as a lot, like the vintage ribbon they were selling as a mixed lot of colors and sizes, 2000 m for like 850 euro. That was a few months ago, not sure if its still for sale.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I started with this Tom Mix
20150810.jpg

And ended with this Stagecoach Butterfield Express
20150810b.jpg

Today because of the Western Ranch Outfitters thread U had to choose this Big Country
20150811.jpg

And later this Stagecoach Turkey Creek
20150811b.jpg

EstherWeis

Vendor
O. G., I do like that one.:)
Esther, thank you for the information about Kopka. I emailed the company a few months ago, as I was unable to access the download page with price lists, and a very friendly representative emailed me back price lists for felts and straws. Only problem is that I'm not sure how to order, if the ordering page is part of the site that I can't access. I was interested mostly in the overall quality of their products, and especially the "tissue felt", if it is thin and lightweight for summer hats and also was curious about the vintage hat bodies mentioned but not shown or described. I also was curious if they make the felt or where it comes from if they don't make it. Thanks again for any info you have.

Okay, this going to be a long one!!
I apologize in advance :)

If I order, I just email to info@kopka.de
I'm not aware of any other emails...

The overall quality is good, they have some really cheap wool felts that are good for scrubbing off bbq's in my humble opinion :). As do most suppliers. But those mostly go to China from what I heard.

They don't make the felt themselves, they import from all over the world.
Most of the fur felts are made in the Czech Republic, and they are noticeably better than the ones I have from Poland.

Colors range is good on the peachbloom, and the melousines are excellent. She did tell me those are becoming hard to find.
They block like a dream and are very smooth and soft, very nice to wear.

The tissue felt, also known as summer felt is hard to come by these days.
The ones they sell is a very, very nice quality felt, only the color range isn't great if I'm honest.
They had a beige, cherry red, orange, purple when i was there in june. Pretty ladylike colors.
I feel they don't buy many because they don't have a lot of hand blockers as clients.
They vary in thickness.
For mens hats i would ask for one of the sturdier ones, because the really thin ones don't hold a shape that well.
But reallllly comfy to wear, they weigh next to nothing.
On the other hand, ripping is a problem.
If you block, always by hand and be careful when you pull over your crown block. ( i'm used to blocking hunter felt, you can imagine how my first one went...)
That being said, you can get a pretty large brimmed hat out of a smallish hood.

This is so you can compare the tickness, purple is tissue felt, the tan your standard sturdy hare

266bab9a914d7ecf34cceb8a1e28b51d.jpg

4606bab030d9e66287d35b5b433dcb5c.jpg

Okay, the vintage ones.
The french felt is absolutely gorgeous,
But the hoods are teeny tiny though... I haven't blocked any of mine, because I haven't figured what to do with them yet.
They only had a few left only in navy, and one large also in a very dark navy.

1afd77e91dced2b3b6519308aa253cc4.jpg

I didn't buy any of the straw ones because i found them too rough and too orangey. I think they call them florentines.

Don't buy the pre blocked ones! They are like cardboard!
Most black ones are also pre stiffened, try to get one without the industrial stiffener, it's no good...

Pfew, i hope that was helpful.
Sorry about the rambling, can you tell i love making hats ? :)

Oh! And I'm wearing a taupe Ecuadorian panama with french ribbon

0f6bc023085f264bb19568372a53b67b.jpg

6e3fb7e91387f8cbb76e399485a0f265.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tough act to follow, Esther! Lovely straw today, and thank you for your insight into felts.

A straw day around here as well, so my Go-to hat is back; A VS Milan, from the Fawcett files...
DSC00305.jpg DSC00306.jpg DSC00311.jpg DSC00315.jpg

javadave61

Practically Family
I was going to post right after Esther, but Charlie is right... a tough act to follow, so I waited a bit! Thanks for stepping up Charlie, S4C, and Greg.

And the reason it's a tough act to follow is that I'm wearing my attempt at a conversion again today... from Akubra Stockman to a Fed IV clone. I think I finally worked out my brim issues with a triple dose of steam.

2015-08-12_07.57.06.jpg 2015-08-12_07.57.32.jpg

EstherWeis

Vendor
I was going to post right after Esther, but Charlie is right... a tough act to follow, so I waited a bit! Thanks for stepping up Charlie, S4C, and Greg.

And the reason it's a tough act to follow is that I'm wearing my attempt at a conversion again today... from Akubra Stockman to a Fed IV clone. I think I finally worked out my brim issues with a triple dose of steam.

View attachment 33963 View attachment 33964

Yeah looks like! I like it.

Renault

One Too Many
A second to RJR! Lots of nice hats and caps last few days! Long hot summer already. 106F yesterday here. Not much time to be online either. No new hats. Only the same old boring ones for me. Y'all have seen em all. I need something new. But I can't seem to get to town.

Keep those hats coming!!!

Renault

One Too Many
Ok,,,,, here's what I'm wearing today. Y'all seen it before. But it's a bit dirtier now. This is my standard out in the pasture work hat. I wear it shopping to town. With the railroad britches. I find that people in the grocery store tend to leave me alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24