Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following the Knox train today...

122816_1.jpg

122816_2.jpg

122816_3.jpg
Blowing it out of the water with that Knox. Would this be considered more of a Lord's Hat? The lines of that crease are very interesting, am I right in interpreting this as being higher in the back and sloped to the front. That is really cool!

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to all for the kind words about the Stetsonian. Killer to see all of the wicked lids (it's especially Knice to see the unusually high number of Knox's). Thanks for keeping me company as I meander through my day.

Went by Chateau Barnes after my morning out of office business and switched out for the Adam THE POLAR.

IMG_20161228_101238-picsay.jpg
IMG_20161228_101245-picsay.jpg
IMG_20161228_101609-picsay.jpg

IMG_20161228_101639-picsay.jpg
IMG_20161228_102838-picsay.jpg
IMG_20161228_104008-picsay.jpg
IMG_20161228_104018-picsay.jpg
IMG_20161228_104025-picsay.jpg

Lovely day here... Hope everyone else's is that way, too (even if the weather is not in your neck of the woods).

[emoji2]

Thanks to all for the kind words about the Stetsonian. Killer to see all of the wicked lids (it's especially Knice to see the unusually high number of Knox's). Thanks for keeping me company as I meander through my day.

Went by Chateau Barnes after my morning out of office business and switched out for the Adam THE POLAR.

View attachment 63776 View attachment 63778 View attachment 63779
View attachment 63780 View attachment 63781 View attachment 63782 View attachment 63783 View attachment 63784

Lovely day here... Hope everyone else's is that way, too (even if the weather is not in your neck of the woods).

[emoji2]
I really love The Polar Matt, this is one of my favorites! Is it early 50s or older? I think an Adam advert I saw listed this model. I'll have to see if I saved it on my external drive...

Great looking Knox. I'm going to miss those Christmas ties though...

You only have a few weeks and he breaks out the Groundhog Day ties.

Best looking hat in the entire dealership I'm sure!

Yeah - only hat this morning.

Doughnuts at twenty paces!

Back off. I got this.

Homer Donut.gif

It's the coconut shell bikini bottoms we're most concerned about being properly seated...:eek:

Nope. Grass skirt is de rigueur (commando, of course!)

Blowing it out of the water with that Knox. Would this be considered more of a Lord's Hat? The lines of that crease are very interesting, am I right in interpreting this as being higher in the back and sloped to the front. That is really cool!

Thank you Mike. This Knox has an unbound upbrim - some folks around here would call it a Lord's hat. Yes, I have the crown sloped a bit to the front which lessens the height of the crown visually (it is quite tall). Also sporting it without side pinches. It's a little large for me but these three adjustments make it fit quite comfortably as long as the wind is not howling.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 63776 View attachment 63778 View attachment 63779
View attachment 63780 View attachment 63781 View attachment 63782 View attachment 63783 View attachment 63784

[emoji2]
I never tire of that Polar ... and I'm a sucker for a triple stitch overwelt

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
I really love The Polar Matt, this is one of my favorites! Is it early 50s or older? I think an Adam advert I saw listed this model. I'll have to see if I saved it on my external drive...
Thanks Mike.

If you have an ad for this hat, you will make me super happy. I have looked all over the internets for references to THE POLAR with no luck.

It has been suggested to me that THE POLAR is late '30s to early '40s. And that Adam (along with a lot of the other companies) cut back on widely offering "specialty" finishes like this heathered one in the '40s. But that such finishes & triple-stitch brim welts (Stetson called that a "wafer-edge") were produced in pretty large numbers in the late '30s to early '40s.

I also have been told that this sort of "specialty" styling was part of an industry-wide marketing push as the worst of the depression was abating to "create" demand for hats meant for "sporting" and "leisure" wear: a picnic in the country, a day at the races, etc. And that during the period Dobbs had a "Heather Mix," Knox had a "Forest Blends," Stetson had its "Pebble," etc. Here is the link to the Lounge's thread on heathers http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/heather-and-yon.45343/

Very interesting stuff...

Here is the hat's label. Perhaps someone can verify (or suggest another) vintage.
IMG_20161228_141449-picsay.jpg

Be well & have fun.

Matt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21