Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of us never do, my friend. Welcome to the Lounge, GiCalhau. Dive right in, you're among friends here.

Nice hat!

Love it, Charlie! I once had a girlfriend with a Pacer. There was a lot of space inside those things. :rolleyes:
Sounds like she could've been keeper, Jim! Not as much room in the Gremlins, though. I remember getting a wicked leg cramp once... should have stretched first.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Northwest Hat Company
aa369d266bd841748581b63112be2873.jpg
7bd2026b7078820a18966bb5ff338134.jpg
fa4e67f69a8f9fd88898d14bf2afd61a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to all for the comment son my vtg. Stetson OR today.

Good looking.

Thanks sir.

That's a gorgeous OR , Eric! I have a similar one in the same color. The felt is different than others of the same era. Could the color have something to do with that?

Color? Perhaps. If the logic/experience learned from modern winchester beaver felts applies you are correct. For these vintage rabbit blend hats I do not know. I read the OR thread last night looking for details and did not get firm answers as to the felt. The dating details helped immensely. JTL's post really [rovided clarity when seeking the date of this hat. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-open-road-guild.7047/page-54#post-862653 I included the link so folks can see what tremendous knowledge is packed within the threads of this forum. Excellent!

Those hats Eric finds never cease to amaze me. There must have been a lot of guys in your neck o' the woods that bought new hats and put them away and never wore them. That OR is NEW!

Thanks sir. Serendipity assisted by continuous looking, as you well know.

Best to all, Eric -

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Good morning. Outside early with the dogs in a new to me vtg. Stetson Open Road. This is a Royal De Luxe Open Road of the early 50's.

i-4hxZhZR-M.jpg

The felt is a blue/gray. More blue shows in this mornings cold cloud covered sky. Not all felt is created equal and this may be my most "clay-like". It is a thinner felt than my OR 25's or even that special 3X. This fedora, gray,is much bluer than my other OR. A very interesting color.

i-sBB7jKt-M.jpg

i-5njJs86-M.jpg

i-Q3c5dCC-M.jpg

It is a hat that is a puzzler. The hat is pristine in that it is clean and generally unmarked. It was worn, but not hard or frequently. This hat shows a couple of small moth nibbles. I suspect that a brief brush with very fine sandpaper would smooth the 2 spots out. I will consider that, but put some wear on the hat first.

i-xKgxd3s-M.jpg

Thanks for letting me share my vtg.Stetson Royal De Luxe Open Road.

Best, Eric -
WOW! What a beauty! I love those blue gray tones.

Have you had luck with sanding out nibbles?

I've thought about it but am too scared to try it on my oldies. The concerns I have are that the sanded area will seem off color compared with the rest of the body or reflect light in a different way because of (what I guess I'll call) localized pouncing. It seems to me that it could change the grain of the surface.

Regardless... One heck of a hat you have scored!

Be well and enjoy!

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Chores today included filling the three bird big feeders. Surprising how 50#'s of seed disappears. The birds in my neighborhood are sated with seed. I wore a vtg. Stetson Bantam for my feeding chores. The Bantam is very lightweight and when I got inside I discovered that the hat crown and brim got banged around a bit and ended up changed from the creases I started with.

i-VSV4Ww6-M.jpg

i-VL5x98m-M.jpg

The lightweight felted hat is a terrific example of why vintage hats rule.

i-Zv4kgSb-M.jpg

I needed to pick-up groceries and head to the butcher shop and changed to a vtg. Stetson Avenue.

i-QQHt8Wv-M.jpg

i-2JcFwcv-M.jpg

Grilling chicken thighs and drumsticks in preparation for guests tomorrow afternoon I changed to the vtg.Borsolino Misto.

i-XjgzxqL-M.jpg

i-7Z69WKX-M.jpg

Cheers to all on this glorious Saturday! Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
WOW! What a beauty! I love those blue gray tones.

Have you had luck with sanding out nibbles?

I've thought about it but am too scared to try it on my oldies. The concerns I have are that the sanded area will seem off color compared with the rest of the body or reflect light in a different way because of (what I guess I'll call) localized pouncing. It seems to me that it could change the grain of the surface.

Regardless... One heck of a hat you have scored!

Be well and enjoy!

I have only sanded a couple of hats. Gentle and cautious would be the operative words. I used the finest sandpaper I have and with the sandpaper wrapped around a small Lincon log (remember those). I very gently sanded the spots. I made sure I took only a tiny bit off. The "divot" of the bite I just evened out, but not completely removed. I removed a small bit of about 1" around the bite to "even" the area. when I looked at the white butcher paper I put under the hat when I was sanding on it it had a tiny amount of fine dust. Steam and brushing followed. I sought to raise the "nap" of the sanded area. It worked so that I can not tell from a foot away the worked area. These were small moth bites-no divots.

Only my experience. I do not have sage advise. Perhaps other more experienced hat folks will chime in.

Eric -

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
From the way, WAY back machine on this date.
First, wearing Harv's favorite in my stable, the Lee Gold label checking out the venue prior to my daughter's wedding, 2015, and then on the hood of my AMC Gremlin on Hemenway Street in Boston, February 1977.

View attachment 66752 View attachment 66753

Please refrain from picking on my Gremlin...
Beauty of a hat!

Pick on it?!?!?
Damn, dude... I WANT THAT GREMLIN (and to be that young again)!

RJR

Love that color combo. Is that new production? I need one like that.

Michael
Thanks,Michael.Its one of Deckard's experiments.I saw pic on his Instagram page last year and asked about availability.He referred me to JJ Hat Center in NYC.I checked their website just now and they still show six color combos.This one is cognac/green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails